Very slow .iso ripping speeds on DVDs

willharris10

I have AnyDVD HD and DVD Shrink and Make MKV.

For TV series I usually just rip an ISO as I want the folder structure and on screen navigation. I want it to behave exactly as if the real disc was in a player.

But I'm struggling with slow ripping speeds of between 2 & 3 MB/sec. This means it's taking 30-40 minutes to rip a DVD ISO file. This is the same length of time it's taking to rip the ISO or MKV of a BluRay disc.

If I use DVD Shrink and re-author to backup, the film only, it takes around 10 minutes. So why is AnyDVD ISO Ripper running so slowly? I have seen it run fast in the past. Suddenly the drive spins up and I can hear it whirring. But the last few discs (Brother & Sisters Series 2 and 3) have been running painfully slowly.

Drive is an LG BluRay Drive - Super Multi Blue and is only about 2 months old. HDD is a Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5Tb of the same vintage. Both SATA 2 connected.

Thanks!

Loada

First, make sure you have the latest version of AnyDVD and then check the speed control options in the settings - make sure everything's set as you'd expect ("fast & noisy"?). There is a possibility that the drive itself is playing up but I'd be surprised if it was that given how old it is and the fact it's been working before and with DVDShrink. Has to be a AnyDVD config issue, I reckon.

willharris10

Thanks. Have tried that but think I need to do a restart. It's chugging away at 2.21MB/s :mad:

next010

Distinguished Member
BD drives tend to be speed locked like the DVD wont go past 6-8x speed no whatever what, also if there are scratches on the disc this could also slow things down if the drive is having difficulty reading the disc or the drive has a weak DVD laser.

willharris10

Actually the RipLock forces the drive to spin at no more than 2x speed. This doubles as a method of keeping the drive quiet during playback and also on frustrating people ripping to HDD.

My drive is one month old and current, so the other point you make about the age of the drive and the laser quality doesn't apply in my case. Though I would agree you should always look after you discs!

next010

Distinguished Member
There are firmware hacks to remove rip/speed locks, it's pretty trivial to apply although I have not kept up with the scene, this is the thread for DVD writers to override the lock, there might be a BD one around somewhere if your player isnt on there.

willharris10

Yes. Thanks for that. I posted that link on the Guide to Ripping sticky, just last night ;-) but its kind of you to remind me. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom