1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VERY slow ftp'ing from XBox. help please.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Messiah, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi all

Using Evo-X on my XBox I am only getting speeds of around 1.6Mbps on a 100MB network. Both PC and XBox are connected to a 100MB switch so should be getting much faster than this.

Anyone got any ideas for speeding this up or can you please let me know what speeds you are getting from your ftp prog. I am using FlashFXP BTW.

Thanks.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    i was getting about 2000bps with the network card i was using, anyway bought a £9.99 brown box card from pc world and a crossover cable and it jumped up to 6000bps.

what speeds to you get transfering back to pc ??

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi gizlaroc

I made up a crossover cable last night thinking that would speed things up (remove the hub) but made absolutely no dofference. I am only pulling files from XBox to PC. I did get it running at around 6000kBps day before last but only the once. Ever since cannot get more than about 1600kBps (which by my reckoning is about 12Mbps). I would expect speeds around 5-7 times this.

Not really a problem but takes ages pulling a few gig off the XBox. And damned annoying when I have a 100Mb network.

Any other ideas appreciaited.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    in the device manager under you rnetwork card check under the advanced tab what the "link speed and duplex" is set to.

try different settings.

also try things like disabling QoS packet tagging.

there was a bit about transfer speeds on http://forums.xbox-scene.com/

so it may be worth searching through there for some more info and a possible fix.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks for that. I'll take a look. Wish me luck :)

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've seen a bad cable or a femal to female joint both cause slow thruput over an otherwise apparently working network line.

There were dos based network client/server test programs shipped on driver disks that can measure low-level data-loss, but I haven't looked for them for years.

regards,
    Rob.

7. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anything else connected to your network ?

If not then any special reason why you are using a switch ?

Sure your cable is Cat5e and not just Cat5 ?

Any major sources of interference near the cable run ?

Is the switch running at 100Mbit or 10Mbit for both sockets (X-Box and P.C.) ?

Any kinks in the cable, has it been bent at right ables (around door frames etc) ?

What is the cable length ?

I used to have a 25 Metre cat 5 cable for linking two machines together, over the years the wires inside must have become bent and the untwisted from their repective pairs. Connection speed was very slow. I replaced the cable and it was fine.

Cable spec and switch port speed would be two good places to start.

If you have a loose connection in the wire then the connection may (should) drop to 10Mbit.

Bearing in mind that 100Mbit = 12.5Mbyte/s
    (8 bits to a byte)

So transfering a 1Gb file should take around 1 1/2 minutes at full pelt (plus error correction, packet loss, machine load, switch efficency).

Cheers
    RB

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks RB.

I have a laser printer and second PC conneceted to the network also. Using a switch to get maximum bandwidth to each used device. To be honest not sure if my cable is Cat5 or 5E. It's been in a few years now and is standard BT OSCA (premises) cabling so I'll check this out. No kinks in cable etc as even when I made up a crossover cable about 2m length I still could not get more than 1600kBps.

Funny thing is day before with same cabling I got 6000kBps but can't seem to get that speed again. It's a pain as it's taking about 30 mins+ to transfer around 3GB.

What speed do you get (if you ftp from your XBox)?

Thanks.

9. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does the switch have lights to indicate speed the port is running at and if so I take it all ports are running at 100Mbit.

The printer is hanging off a print server which is running at 100Mbit ?? (my Jet direct runs at 10Mbit but this should not make too much of a difference).

It takes me around 1.5 mins to do a PC to PC transfer over 9m of cable to my machine in my loft (via a switch). I havent connected the Xbox to the network here so am not sure.

What are you using to mesure the speed. DU meter is generally highly reguarded and will show speed over time including recording peak.

If another set of cabling produced faster results then it does tend to point at the cables being a little screwie. I have also made test cables also only to find that there is a break or that one of the cables hasn't connected inside the plug correctly.

What options has the XBox go for settings / monitoring.

You might also want to do a PC to PC test to verify that it is only the XBox that is slow with transfers from the PC.

Cheers
    RB

10. swsr

swsr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar problems. Turned out mine wasn't hardware, but a software problem. I realized that by seeing that SMB shares I can download from at fast speeds, while FTP was only 10-20 kbytes/s.
    Might have been my firewall or something, I haven't verified (I use Outpost Firewall). I just logged on to XBOX FTP from another computer on my home network, and it worked just fine!

11. luwe

luwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just figured out mine. Apparently the xbox goes into an energy saver mode or something after some time. New to xbox. But in that state the screen is dimmer and i was getting 64Kb, awful. After I played around the menu I'm getting decent stuff.

12. Milamb

Milamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Messiah,

I have just changed from FlashFXP to SmartFTP for file transfers on a recommendation and it rocks. Gone from 9hrs for 6GB to 0.5 hr ! I would give it a try. Maybe FlashFXP is just rubbish ? :oops:

13. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    theres a default setting in FXP that slows things down, if you untick the box it speeds up greatly. i can't remember the bit, but if you google flash... xbox speedup or something you'll find what i mean

14. zpos

zpos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21