Very Slow Digi-Box Operation

wokeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had my Sky digi-box more or less since Sky Digital first came out. The problem is, and it has always been this way :rolleyes: is that my system is so slow at operating. If I select say entertainment from the menu it will often take 5 seconds or more to show the contents of that menu, same thing happens when you page down through menus, screen freezes for ages. I have never really seen this on anyone elses system even similar age to mine, however they were not Pace digi-boxes. The picture is still fine etc, do you guys reckon that I need a newer digi-box or should I try upgrading the firmware or something as I have never done this?

The original PACE 2200 is really slow compared to modern digiboxes, the speed of it's CPU and ram were designed for the very basic SKY OS which was in operation until mid 2000.
As the OS became more complex the demands on the hardware became greater and simply put the 2200 struggles even though as you say the mpegII video decoding is as good as ever. The OS (firmware) would have been updated many times during the STB's life and even optimising the code can only get so much performance from under powered hardware.

If the speed of the machine is really that annoying (I use a 2200 but not for day to day viewing) then the only practical option is to get a new digibox.

Thanks for the reply Starburst seems to make good sense, haven't a clue how much a digi-box costs these days, if it was cheapish I would probably buy another, but if it was fairly expensive I think that I would make do. Have to check it out. Thanks for the help :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom