Very slow bb speed

macca77

Standard Member
I've recently had bt bb installed and from day 1 my speed has been 0.5 meg . I've done the whole 10 days to settle thing , phoned bt and they said they would reset my profile and even had engineer out to exchange and my house , he even told my partner I was now getting 8 meg but when I checked from master socket test socket it still was same speed . Anyone have any ideas ? Going to phone back this weekend for 4th time !

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Do you know that you should be getting more? Have you been with a previous ADSL ISP (i.e. everyone except virgin cable, tooway satellite, Three mobile broadband etc.) that has given you faster speeds?

Isolate house phone circuits from broadband circuit with twin socket faceplate such as

Commtel / Mercury Faceplate with ADSL Filter - Screw Terminals

if this has not already been done. This removes the need for microfilters and eliminates any faults on the house wiring circuits from your broadband circuit

Then read these...

maxdsldiagnostics - newsnet
::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::
::. Kitz - ADSL Router Line Stats .::
Internet Software
Improving your ADSL MAX Broadband connection - SNR/Noise Margin/Line Speed/Attenuation etc.
Netgear Router Comparison (Be* Un Limited)

You need to eliminate your house circuit from broadband and then wait for the 10 days you mention. Router stats will show if your router is dropping connection with the ISP which is what cripples your speed. Many routers concentrate on best wi-fi round the house while the ADSL chip to the exchange over a long line is rubbish

How far is your property (line length) from the exchange?

Marv

The Indian call center is pretty usless from my experience . Ive been connectd to BT BB for a month on Tuesday and my speed ranges from 300Kps - 1.9Mbps even though like yourself i'am able to get a max of 8MB. Like you i waited for 10 days for it to settle and then phoned the call center and was on the phone with them 3 days running each time goiing through the same scripted questions and being told it would be fixed in 24-48hrs. After the 3rd call and the speed getting no better I gave up on the call center and joined the BT forums and e-mailed the Mods there who looked into it and are UK based. There still looking into it and have apparently forwarded it to BT wholsale to look into since they could'nt fix it.
Last i heard off them was Monday night so hopefully there looking into it. It looks to me like it might take a while to fix hope you have better luck than me getting yours sorted.

The Indian call center is pretty usless from my experience . Ive been connectd to BT BB for a month on Tuesday and my speed ranges from 300Kps - 1.9Mbps even though like yourself i'am able to get a max of 8MB. Like you i waited for 10 days for it to settle and then phoned the call center and was on the phone with them 3 days running each time goiing through the same scripted questions and being told it would be fixed in 24-48hrs. After the 3rd call and the speed getting no better I gave up on the call center and joined the BT forums and e-mailed the Mods there who looked into it and are UK based. There still looking into it and have apparently forwarded it to BT wholsale to look into since they could'nt fix it.
Last i heard off them was Monday night so hopefully there looking into it. It looks to me like it might take a while to fix hope you have better luck than me getting yours sorted.

Your story is exactly why it's a good idea to do some detective work yourself. Quite apart from the difficulty and time wasting that goes on, it is important that you can take your own steps to ensure that any faults in the house wiring have been isolated from your broadband circuit. The reason for that is that in many if not most cases of this sort of trouble house wiring is a major factor.

Once those you are talking to catch on to the fact that the house wiring can't be the cause then they will eventually start to look for the trouble on their side of the master socket

Marv

Of the three days of being on the phone to CS India and running the BT speedtester while on the phone to them they never once asked me what my IP profile was coming back at from the speedtestests. You'd think that would be one of the first things they asked since they know straight away that the profile could maybe be stuck.

They keep asking you to run speedtest aswell when you've changed your filter/ tested at the master/ they've run there tests etc and if they knew the speedtester.bt.com they'd know that you can only run 1 test per hour.
So i tested mine before i rang them so i have my results ready and then there asking me to run one again? yeah if you wanna wait an hour mate.

They keep asking you to run speedtest aswell when you've changed your filter/ tested at the master/ they've run there tests etc and if they knew the speedtester.bt.com they'd know that you can only run 1 test per hour.
So i tested mine before i rang them so i have my results ready and then there asking me to run one again? yeah if you wanna wait an hour mate.

These guys are running from a crib sheet. They aren't really interested in your answers, they just go on to the next question

If you say to them "I don't need microfilters because my broadband is isolated from the house wiring at the master socket, please escalate my complaint" and repeat that again and again they will eventually pass your complaint back to someone in the UK that can deal with it

And when the guy with the laptop arrives at your house he will be able to tell, within 5 metres ,on a line length of 4km, where the line fault is, or if the exchange equipment is rusty or past it. They are generally that good

However, if you have not isolated your house wiring and the fault does turn out to be indoors, they will want to charge. And why not?

buckle247

Novice Member
And when the guy with the laptop arrives at your house he will be able to tell, within 5 metres ,on a line length of 4km, where the line fault is, or if the exchange equipment is rusty or past it. They are generally that good

Thats possible with a normal line fault like a dis or a loop on the line which would also be effecting dial tone. But on an ADSL fault, its generally not possible to get a measurment on the line and pinpoint the problem (unless there is a a high resistance fault, sometimes the testers can pick these up)

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
If the BT guy has a half decent TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) then any fault that results in a step impedance change in the line at its location should be detected.

buckle247

Novice Member
If the BT guy has a half decent TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) then any fault that results in a step impedance change in the line at its location should be detected.

But generally speaking an ADSL fault wouldn't show up on a TDR, unless there is a (bad) high resistance fault.

wormvortex

And Adsl fault won't show up. It's more a case of trial and error unless there is an obvious line fault that shows up as in try from nte, cab, dp, exchange.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom