1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very simple Sky digital recorder.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pjh777, Aug 28, 2005.

1. pjh777

pjh777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to build a very simple PVR for sky, using the digibox epg to schedule programs. For quality I'd like to use a sweetspot RBG card but I suppose ay would do.

So what I basically need is some form of very simple software that can detect a video signal present on the capture card and start recording until the signal stops. If it stored the file as AVI/mpeg with the start date and time this would be plenty for my needs.

I really don't want to get into an epg on the PC and trying to control the Sky box, I'd prefer to use the Sky epg to schedule.

Yes I know that anything I'm watching live would also be recorded but given a 300Gig disk this shouldn't be a problem for me, they can just be deleted.

So does anyone know of any software that could perform this - start recording when signal is available, stop when finished!

Thanks

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Wouldn't it be simpler to get a sky + box and use HTPC to display via Dscaler and or archive your wanted recordings to disk on the HTPC?

You'll probably want to encode (compress) the recordings down after capture as a decent quality recording ( huffyuv) will probably average about 1Gb a minute.

There are also the hauppage cards (winTV PVR100 etc) that have hardware encoding but although its realtime its not very good if you ask me.

You'll find lots of past discussions on here about Sky PVR solutions.