1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very simple newbie question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by marko69, Sep 17, 2005.

1. marko69

marko69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering 42" plasma and of course i would like to get best picture quality possible. The thing is I want plasma only for viewing dvd`s.

So the question is: Do I get picture quality any better with HD set while watching dvd content? Will I spot any difference in quality between pa42e, pv500, pwd8, phd8(everything dvd only)? Do I need a "scaler" at all(?:) )

Yea yea i` am so stupid but please answer my questions anyway ;) thanks a lot

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If you are only going to be watching DVDs forget the "TV plasmas". Go for a panel (you seem to be looking at Panasonic, so PWD8 or PHD8).

The PHD7 was noticeably better than the PWD7 with standard def material - still waiting for my PHD8 and until it arrives only guessing, but I would expect it to be better than the PWD8. With Blu Ray etc arriving next year, if you can afford it, go for the HD option.

A good external scaler, properly set up, makes a big difference with standard DVD into the PWD and PHD panels, but they don't come cheap - entry level is £795 and the Lumagen HDP that I would recommend is closer to £1,300.

What DVD player have you got / are thinking of getting?

3. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You could get a DVD player with a built in scaler like one of the Samsung ones or a NeuNeo one, they both have HDMI so you could probably bag a HDMI board for one of those panels, that would be the best thing to do as it would also be hella simple to just have the one neat cable :)