1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very simple laptop setup (any comments?)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Martinpeter, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Martinpeter

Martinpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post here - so be kind!

I recently bought a Dell 2650 inspiron Laptop for non-AV reasons and wondered if I could use it for some HCPC stuff. I already have a DVDplayer/home cinema in a box (Sony SAV800), so mostly was going to use it stuff downloaded of the net.

I use a Panasonic 42" Plasma for the display, connected to the VGA port of the laptop. I use Powerstrip to match the native display of the Plasma, to a resolution of 856X480. (The native of the display is 852x480, but I don't mind the 3 pixel overscan).

As the laptop does not have SPDIF output, I just take the headphone output and feed it to the Amp. I'm sure this is a horrible thing to do, but actually it sounds not to bad.

Most of the source I watch is Divx/Mpeg stuff downloaded via the net. This is downloaded on a PC upstairs. So I don't have to copy everything to the Laptop I have a Dlink wireless network card in the laptop (and desktop). This is double the speed of rhe normal 802.11b stuff, and is quick enough to play the video on the laptop downstairs. The video is played with Zoom player and all the ffdshow decoders for image sharpening etc/ but I tend not to use the image enhancement stuff much.

The image quality, especially of the Divx downloads is really quite high, and not much worse than DVD.

I also use the desktop as a store of all my MP3 stuff.

I know that none of this is technically that advanced, but I wanted to point out that if you have a laptop knocking about, you can use it to do much of the things talked about here at little extra cost.

I'm also interested if anyone has any comments about how I could easily improve the setup.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also use my laptop for watching some movies on my 42" RPTV. It only has a headphone output as well (yuk), so I bought a USB optical output sound box dongle thingy.

It only outputs 2 channel stereo, but it's only £24.
    Winamp sounds 300% better, no hiss, and alot more dynamic sound.

Do a search for "3008235140" on ebay, I bought from Cooltronix, recieved with no problems.

There is also a £75 version ....

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merc...e=DD&Product_Code=Xitel-Pro&Category_Code=new

which can output DD/DTS, but too expensive and not bothered with that anyway (got a DVD-Video player).

Here's a another stereo-only stereo...

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=DD&Product_Code=Xitel-hifi