1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very precious VHS tape - Best back up advise needed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jazzie, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,
    Looking for some suggestions here, I've been wading through several hundred old VHS tape backing them up to DVD. The majority are just old films taped from the TV which I would like to keep but it's not life or death, but last night I came across an absolute gem.

My father passed away 3 years ago and I had forgotten that 5 years before he died I had been playing with my new camcorder at Christmas and had recorded about 45 minutes of our family together, it was the last time we were all together and it is the only footage I have of him so you can see I need an absolutely disaster proof method of saving it.

I am keeping the original tape regardless and I have a copy on the Hard Disc of my DVD recorder, I have a stack of Taiyo Yuden discs which so far haven't failed me but I could use some suggestions as to what I should look at for a really safe remote back up.

Would it be worth investing in a DVD RAM or would a PC based method such as a USB ext hard drive be a better idea, I'm thinking of something I can do at least a couple of extra copies on to leave with other family members, any ideas?

Jazz :cool:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Multiple backups is the safest option - ensure you burn at least a couple of copies onto different makes/types of discs. If you can make a DVD-RAM backup as well then so much the better! Ensure a rolling backup policy, i.e. every 18months dig out on of the DVD-R copies, import it to your PC and burn a couple of new copies. And keep the original tape in a secure, dry location.

See my Guide on DVD Backups

3. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rasczak, my recorder will do DVD RAM so I think I'll sort of combine the 2 and run a few copies off on RAM & -R discs.

4. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Rasczak with DVD-RAM all the malarkey you mention shouldn't be necessary right?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    also reconmend you copy to a PC and store on a second site ie not in your house, an old small HDD would do, copy the file over and stick it in someelses loft with your name and addy on it (this may be getting silly but not if there is a fire etc disster)

6. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've lost faith in writeable DVD's. I would agree with HornyDragon's suggestion of an old HDD.

Also, if it's that precious, you could copy your 45 minutes' worth onto a USB key (flash memory stick). A 1GB stick is around £50 and dropping.

USB key data retention is typically quoted as 10 years plus. Of course this assumes that after that time you can still find the key and a computer that will read it.

7. Jazzie

Jazzie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not silly at all, this is exactly what happened to my Great Grandparents, they had all my family's photos etc and decided to have a ciggie in bed one night in the early 1960's, not only did we loose them both in the fire but our family also lost almost every picture from my Grandfather's childhood, only about 4 have survived.