• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

very poor sd on g10

L

lawrence11

just watched a friends g10 for a couple of hours on freesat sd and i thought the picture was very poor my daughter has a px80 which i am now watching and on sd it blows the g10 out of the water i was going to get the g10 but after that i think i will go for x10 hope its as good as px80.

24 P

Could be the calibration of the set, DNR could be effecting it, as other digital trickery.
Not every one knows how to calibrate their sets, leaving them with the digital factory settings left on, only changing color, contrast and brightness..
Just double check your friend hasn't done this..

:thumbsup:

F

Fatwaz

i had a px80 and now have a x10 and the x10 is just as good on sd as the px80.

as for the g10 being poor on sd was it any particular channel you were watching or program?it shouldnt be poor unless you were sitting too close but if you are watching mainly sd the x10 is a good choice,still great with hd too though;)

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
I would probably be viewing bbc 1/bbc 2,master chef,nature programs,dragons den,to get a feel for sd on that tv.:smashin:

sutton8

I have a 42" G10 and SD is at best so so.

Watching the Snooker on BBC1 (SD) yesterday afternoon via my V+ box was very disappointing. ESPN HD for the Russia versus Germany football was much better, as perhaps expected. Sky One (SD) in the evening for Fringe was just so so.

I like it for Bluray, but TV is poor. I'm getting a Denon 1910 AMP in a few weeks which upscales SD to 1080P so hopefully that will help. But my own experience of this set with SD is poor, even after much tweeking and playing around.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
I have a 42" G10 and SD is at best so so.

Watching the Snooker on BBC1 (SD) yesterday afternoon via my V+ box was very disappointing. ESPN HD for the Russia versus Germany football was much better, as perhaps expected. Sky One (SD) in the evening for Fringe was just so so.

I like it for Bluray, but TV is poor. I'm getting a Denon 1910 AMP in a few weeks which upscales SD to 1080P so hopefully that will help. But my own experience of this set with SD is poor, even after much tweeking and playing around.
Try running SD through RGB scart,see what you think.:)

L

lawrence11

I have a 42" G10 and SD is at best so so

But my own experience of this set with SD is poor, even after much tweeking and playing around.
yes same here think i will stick with hd ready rather than full hd panel hd ready panel seems to be far better on sd and still great for hi/def.

jayden28

SD is not the best on these sets but HD and blu ray in particular more than make up for it so good that my old pioneer 4280xd was no match for it in HD.

panman40

Distinguished Member
yes same here think i will stick with hd ready rather than full hd panel hd ready panel seems to be far better on sd and still great for hi/def.

I too think SD is poor on the G10 but strangely SD on my Pana LZD80 which also has a full HD Panel is fantastic :confused:.

SD will look better on HD ready 720p sets (eg. X10, PX80) because the TV has much less scaling to do than on a full hd tv like the G10.

Also SD will generally become even poorer as the screen size increases.

That said on a 42" tv SD should still look ok (freeview, external sat/cable box) but will look even better through a device that has dedicated HDMI upscaling thus bypassing the TVs internal scaler.

The problem with Panasonic TVs (plasmas) is their SD scaling capabilites are very average.

Last edited:
L

lawrence11

SD will look better on HD ready 720p sets (eg. X10, PX80) because the TV has much less scaling to do than on a full hd tv like the G10.

Also SD will generally become even poorer as the screen size increases.

That said on a 42" tv SD should still look ok (freeview, external sat/cable box) but will look even better through a device that has dedicated HDMI upscaling thus bypassing the TVs internal scaler.

The problem with Panasonic TVs (plasmas) is their SD scaling capabilites are very average.
so what is an upscaling device and how much are they i want to get the best sd picture i can? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

S Bibby

Hi,
I have to say I've not seen any evidence of this, and everything is upscaled on these sets. DVD looks better than Freeview SD, though there are some MPEG noise issues. IMO scaling is part of the issue but SD broadcasts were poor on just about every LCD and Plasma TV I have seen. Yes, most of the LCD TVs were 1080p but I haven't seen much difference on some sets ie. the current Sony/Samsung/Philips models. Toshiba aren't that bad but they have decent processing anyway.

$weetFA

Try running SD through RGB scart,see what you think.:)

Tele's hit the nail...
We watch SD on a 42" G10 and to us the picture is very watchable. :thumbsup:
Even Channel 5 is good!! :eek:

So try a scart. :lesson:

YellowSphere

Provided the processing is good, a higher resolution panel shouldn't have much of an effect on the SD picture, in fact, there are some advantages to the higher res panel (less visible pixel structure at very close viewing distances, but more so that the resolution is closer to a direct multiple of SD. When it comes to on-the-fly scaling, this is very important).

Basically, the G10 produces a really soft SD picture. If you look at competing televisions from Samsung or LG, you'll usually find better SD there, though of course there are other variables between those and the Panasonic.

nickfrog

I have to say that SD on my humble 720p LG at 10 or 11 ft is most of the time very very good and occasionnaly amazingly sharp, contrasty and smooth, particularly on the BBC but even occasionnaly on ITV. X Factor was a surprise despite the massive dynamic range required and often approximate focus.

WGLOVER

Tele's hit the nail...
We watch SD on a 42" G10 and to us the picture is very watchable. :thumbsup:
Even Channel 5 is good!! :eek:

So try a scart. :lesson:

I find channel 5 one of the best.
I don't know why, but since the last firmware update, freesat and freeview
have become very good (seemed a bit soft before).
I always preferred Virgin+ before, but now I am not so sure which I prefer.

ps. wasn't the BBC HD 'Life' absolutely sublime.

The 50G10 is brilliant.

24 P

Takes all sorts of tweaking before we can get good results, don't forget that the problem can lie in the transmission of the content, try a standard DVD and see how any Panel upscales and that should be a good judge of the panels scaling characteristics..
We all know that some channels have different compression compared to others, I find that even some HD channels are not watchable.
True test is Blu ray for HD and DVD for SD comparison..

sutton8

At the end of the day I paid 800 pound for Panasonic's latest £1000 retail price 2009 plasma TV. The picture on BBC1 is rubbish via cable box or freeview.

It is not good enough to blame the source and then say "well HD is good". I expect the latest technology to be able to show standard channels well and not like some TV from the 80's or before.

If I had my choice again I would never have bought this. My Hitachi portable CRT which cost me around 70 quid in the 90's did cable better. Nuff said.

24 P

Sutton8 try what I said, a dvd and br for comparrison, it could actually be the SD content, not the panel..
I hear what you are saying BTW, I have 2 CRTs, 1 80 cm Sony SD 4:3 behemoth, weighs a paltry 80 KGs, and a Tosh 16:9 1080 I weighing in about 90 KGs, and the PQ beats both my LCDs hands down, also Plasmas..
But they still have a problem with Freeview, channels still compress their content..

S Bibby

I have watched upscaled DVDs on a 37 inch LCD TV and they look fine, and my reference would be a 28 inch CRT TV (late Sony Trinitron). The problem I have had is MPEG noise and the digital filters on the processing did a good job of smoothing that out.

Freeview SD and DVB tranmissions in particular are poor and most of the feedback seems to confirm this. We have more channels, but some of these are of particularly low quality and colour blocking is unfortunately present on most. 24p is from Australia so I suppose he might be looking at a different picture but I know that other European countries get somewhat better quality out of their PAL broadcast systems.

24 P

Our PQ is generally fine, but most assume that getting a Digital Panel and Digital broadcast ends up being superior to their old CRT analogue broadcasts, they expect miracles.
I think the marketers have a lot of explaining to do..
In the end, I always say when in doubt, use a good DVD or BR to find out what your panel can do..

sutton8

Our PQ is generally fine, but most assume that getting a Digital Panel and Digital broadcast ends up being superior to their old CRT analogue broadcasts, they expect miracles.
I think the marketers have a lot of explaining to do..
In the end, I always say when in doubt, use a good DVD or BR to find out what your panel can do..

I think it is hardly expeting miracles to expect the latest technology to be able to do our national broadcaster BBC1 even half reasonably through cable box or aerial. These expensive products are meant to be Televisions for ordinary consumers, not just panels for bluray enthusiasts. Indeed the marketing people do have a lot to answer for. Potential purchasers take heed.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom