Very pleased with pricejapan.com and my PLV-Z2

H

HTnovice

Hi guys,

A few of you asked me to post when my projector arrived, hence this post. The PLV-Z2 arrived today in perfect condition, and I was only charged an extra AU$180 in customs and import duties. That brings the total price of the projector to AU$2,450 - not bad considering these babies go for anywhere between AU$4,000 and AU$5,000 over here - if you can find one. Changing the menu from Japanese to English was a total breeze, taking all of around 20 seconds. I used a power plug adaptor to make the Japanese plug fit our Australian power points (most modern projectors have auto adjusting transformers, so you don't need to use a step down transformer). I also purchased a D4 to component cable at the time I ordered the projector - it works perfectly.

I'm very happy with the projector so far - it's my first projector so I'm probably not as demanding as some users, but I can't see any dead pixels or dust blobs. There is no screendoor effect from the range I'm sitting, which is around 3.5 metres, unlike some of the cheaper projectors I've loaned from work, such as the Epson S1.

However, one thing I have noticed is a kind of artifacting effect when playing DVDs. It's the same thing you see on computers when playing very compressed movies - could this be because I'm playing my DVDs from an Xbox? It's not so bad that I'm not loving watching movies, but I'd like to know if there's a way to stop it. Would building a dedicated HTPC solve this problem, or is this just a limitation of the compression inherent to DVDs? A HDTV set top (or PCI card if I build a HTPC) box is next on the list, and I can't wait to see how nice that will look.

Anyways, I'm very happy with my purchase. I'm just about to sit down with the other half, 3 new release DVDs and a bag of popcorn. Life is good... very good indeed!

Congratulations !

Out of interest, did you do the money transfer to their Australian account and did you go for the shipping back option ?

Here's the latest price they've given me :

1. Sanyo LP-Z2 : AU$2182
2. Shipping back option : $121
3. D4<->3 RCA component conversion cable 10m D4 cable (SANYO made; AU $75)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
total: AU$2378

Just getting up the courage to take the plunge. Best price i've seen so far is $1k more expensive which would pay for my screen.

Thanks

Xbox is the prob. Put my cheap DVD player on, running in 575P mode, and it's bloody beautiful...

Out of interest, did you go the direct deposit into their bank account in Sydney or via Paypal ??

it comes up to about $2800 au after gst etc, and you can get them for $3245 au (less with some bargaining) from australia, and have full 3 year australian warranty. i would rather choose that

never seen them that cheap in aus

over here in Perth the cheapest price i've got so far is $3990

No Wixy, total cost came to around $2,580 including all taxes. I've never seen them in Australia for less than $3,999 - so I managed to save myself almost $1,500.

$3999 is the rrp, it was mistakingly thought to have an rrp of $4999, and some retailers still try to sell it for this much!

Just ordered mine from pricejapan this morning - hope it arrives ok !! Price was AUD $2369 including shipping back option and 10m D4->3 RCA cable.

The best price i've been able to get in Perth is $3999

Have fun Bergsey. This home theatre thing's bloody addictive - I just bought the new Samsung 720p HD935 DVD player and a set of Logitech 680s today to round out the Home Theatre....

Next up is a screen, then a HDTV Box...

Probably going to make my own out of blockout material and aluminium pipe. Much cheaper than buying one. Unless you know of any cheapies in australia

I went from Xbox to a htpc, I wasn't that impressed with the Xbox picture, the htpc picture seems mucher richer and involving. I'm using a 5m DVI cable with a Radeon 8500.

- best of luck

HTnovice,

I'm also looking at getting a Z2 from pricejapan.

I've heard the Z2 can have vertical banding but that the latest firmware (V1.06?) seems to solve this.

Do you know what the firmware version was on the Z2 you got? Price japan says they have them "in stock" so I wonder if the firmware is up to date.

Have you seen any vertical banding?

Another question HTnovice, could you tell me the dimensions of the Z2 case and a guestimate of how heavy the Z2 in its case would be?

Cheers, Khai

Hi guys,

Looks like I've started a pricejapan avalanche...

I've read a little about vertical banding, dust blobs and the red shift problem with Z2s, which made me a touch nervous before purchasing it, but it looks absolutely gorgeous to me, and I can't detect the symptoms of these (although it was a little red at first, but that was an easy fix). But keep in mind that this is my first experience with a high res projector (have seen a couple of 800 x 600 in the past, and lets just say they can't even be compared to the beauty of the Z2), so I'm probably easily impressed.

As for the Z2 case, its 40cm x 50cm x 30cm. I'd guess the total weight was around 5kg or so.

Have fun guys - I know I am!

Ordered my Z2 from pricejapan on Wednesday afternoon. Arrived in Perth this morning (Friday morning). The D4 cable is on backorder so they shipped the PJ anyway.. Unbelievable service !

Now waiting for the courier to deliver it to me... will probably take longer than coming from Japan!!

Yep, I was astounded that they can deliver a projector from Japan to Australia faster than Aus Post can deliver a letter from the west coast to the east...

HTNovice.... went and picked my projector up from DHL as they tried to deliver it while i was at work.

Got it home tonight and forgot that the power cable was japanese. How did you get around this and is there anything else i need to look out for? printed off the english manual so should be ok there

Thanks

I used a cheap adaptor - you can get them at any electronics store. You don't need to use a transformer - just a $5 plastic plug adaptor.

Thanks...made the emergency trip into town to megamart to pick one up... not many places open here past 6pm !!

When i picked everything up there was no mention of customs or GST or anything - haven't paid anything extra. I gather they sent you an invoice or something ??

About to fire my baby up !

Thanks

can't get the smile off my face...and that's with s-video, projecting onto a dodgy wall and no tuning !!!

must be easy to please !!

You'll probably get a bill from DHL in a few weeks for the customs/GST, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom