1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very odd Sky 1 prob....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pwhite8314, Jun 6, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve got a Sony digibox that’s been working fine for a few months. Last night I noticed that Sky 1 was reporting ‘no satellite signal available’. All other channels appeared fine. After a call to Sky Tech support, it turns out that channel 602 is also out, but other channels (that are on the same transponder as Sky 1) are fine. Went through the usual power-off routine before they decided I need an engineer.

Does this sound like a h/w fault to you guys? As I said, all other channels are fine, apart from 602, and occasionally Channel 5, that reports a ‘technical problem’ before finding a signal within a few seconds. If I leave it on Sky 1 for long enough, I do the odd bit of picture appearing, before it goes again. The dish/LNB has not moved, and doesn’t appear to have any new bird poo on it. Signal strength & quality are around 65% (as always).

As a [possible] coincidence, whilst I was playing around with the digibox I found that the RF2 Out had been switched off (it was on the last time I checked), and the video output was set to Pal, it was RGB. This suggests the digibox has had a bit of a hiccup, but I’m still not sure about it being a h/w problem.

Anything I can try before paying more money to Sky?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I read that SKY changed transponders for SKY1 which might be just a coincidence but then again might not, Catoon Network+1 is also on the same transponder as SKY1.
    Have you tried adding SKY1 through the ADD Channels function?

H
    SR 27500
    FEC 2/3

or

V
    SR 27500
    FEC 2/3

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried it - Sky 1 appears (twice) on the 12.070 setting, but still not viewable (I'm assuming this setting gets slotted into channel 106??).

You're right, it did move to the south beam transponder, as did 6 other channels, and I can't recieve 2 of them, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense:confused:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

One of them does, the other I believe is the Irish version which carries different advertising.

Did SKY CS talk you through a reboot or OS reload?
    Useful test is to use your digibox on someone elses dish, it will allow you to limit a fault to the digibox (Hardware/software) or perhaps the LNB or cable.

5. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, did all that with Sky, but not the s/w download. I'm going to take the box to my out-laws tomorrow to try it there....

6. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Lost sky one only but a reboot brought it back.

Dave, Oldham.