1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very noticeable difference between sky and standard aerial

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sparkymarky, Dec 18, 2004.

1. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Having only ever had sky, i have just connected a normal aerial to my tv as well.

There is a great deal of difference when switching between the two sources.

Sky seems much 'brighter' and more overexposed than normal tv broadcasts, even though the tv's settings are the same for both.

Not sure which source i prefer.

Anyone else noticed this?

(the time lag is quite amusing too, esp. when PIP is on)

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not surprising there are differences, with one being analogue and the other digital :)
    Not to mention that while the TV's contrast/brightness etc remains the same the signal is being processed via two different tuners and in SKY's case an additional conversion process to analogue which is then carried to the TV via RF/scart or s-video.

Given the choice I always choose the digital option, not only for the widescreen presentation but also becasue I prefer the "sharper" and more intense image that the digiboxes (at least to my eyes) creates.
    However as covered in many threads there are too many times the digital source is so over-compressed the analogue version provides a far superior picture, pathetic really:(

3. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm going to keep comparing the pics but i think iactually preferthe sky picture. Whilst the analogue one seems more natural the skydigital has the impression of giving better viewing enjoyment.

I'm struggling to define in words which one looks better as thesky is quite a soft picture but somehow it looks more detailed than the analogue??? Even though when i look at faces ithink 'thats not very detailed'!I think the picture as a whole perhaps 'looks'more detailed.

So....maybe its down to the tvsettings? Off to alter the settings on tv to see if some fiddling with the settings produces a better pic than the digital.

(just seen numerous drawbacks to the analogue signal that i had completely forgotten happen with it, i.e. Ghosting, interference, picture moving on the screen (weather). Wherea you get none of these with thedigital feed obviously. but do get small amounts of artefacting.
    obviously

4. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sparky, that's how digital compression works! Edges look ultra-crisp, and everything inbetween is blurry. It's more or less the same as looking at a low quality-jpeg on the Web.

5. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep i know thats how it works, :) but i've not actually been able to compare the two. As we all know, Just becuase a source is digital it doesn't mean it is necessarily better than analogue.

I am just interested in comparing the two for my own eyes. Such a basic thing that i've never got around to. I seem to spend so much time reading up on hdmi/dvi/etc etc and realised today that i've never actually physically compared the difference between basic digital and analogue signals. :laugh: