Very Noisy Blu-Ray Drive... How loud is yours???

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Master Yoda, May 4, 2007.

?
  1. Completely Silent

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Same as a normal dvd drive

38 vote(s)
    42.2%
  3. Louder than a standard PS2 - Can be annoying at times...

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Like a lawnmower... - REALLY annoying...

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Ummmm - I posted something about this a while ago, but didn't get much reponse on it - now that more of you own PS3 consoles thought it was time to repost...

The Blu-Ray drive on my machine is annoying me alot - it is really loud when loading games (even worse on PS2 games)...

Motorstorm and Oblivion are really bad to the point that I can hear it constantly loading data in the background even with my 5.1 amp on...

To put this into perspective...

The fans on my machine are virtually silent compared to the drive accessing noise.

The best way I can describe it, is it sounds similar to how I remember the Commodore Amiga floppy disk drive use to sound... except much louder. It doesn't sound anything like an optical drive...

I just compared my standard (not slimline) PS2 and my PS3 side by side loading Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and the PS3 is easily about 20X louder than the PS2 drive accessing the same disc...

You can hear the laser constantly moving back and forth loudly on the PS3 and also hear the disc constantly spinning / stopping, where as on the PS2 it's not noticeable at all...

The weird thing is that the PS3 drive is practically silent when playing dvds or blu-ray movies...

Please can you guys test your machines or tell me if this is normal... If most of you have this, then I will just accept it...

If I have a dodgy machine, given that I bought it on launch weekend (so over 28 days), is it best to take it back to Virgin (where I bought it) or ring the Sony Helpline? Can I back up all the important data on my machine to an SD card or something? Any important files that I need to make sure I backup before I give the machine back? What would happen to my purchased game downloads? :confused:

2. pixels

pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Mines the same. Sounds a bit like someone sawing something in half.

3. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    No louder than my DVD player at normal viewing distance of about 7 ft. Can't say I notice it at all really.

4. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mines fine apart from with F1. It makes a slight buzzing noise as if the disc isn't balanced right. Everything else's been fine though.

5. Ratinho

Ratinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Slightly quieter than my normal DVD player. Not noticable if I have any kind if volume on.

6. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Mine is quite noisy loading Motorstorm races.
    It may have bothered me if it were not eclipsed by the noise of the fan.

7. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yeh - it does sound like that...

I don't understand why more people aren't affected by this problem...

8. Spinke

Spinke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Because unlike the Xbox360, noisy fans/optical drives are not the norm for the PS3 :).

Only time I hear a peep from mine is when it's loading/ejecting.

9. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Yeah never heard mine. Just lucky I guess.

I'm a bit confused by the poll.. a normal DVD player is silent too so the first two options are the same???

10. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    'Normal' DVD players / Optical drives DO make 'some' (although not much) noise when they are accessing data... (spinning up/down etc.) they are definitely not 100% silent... :lesson: Hmmm - Maybe I should've made the poll a little clearer... Anyway - I am taking the top 2 option totals as being machines without problems and the bottom 2 options as machines with problems... At the moment 28% of people have noisy drives...

11. Matt543

Matt543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine is silent but I chose "Louder than a standard PS2" because no fault of the PS3, now its starting to get hotter and with 3 computers + TV giving of loads of heat the fans do spin faster but this does not worry me, its nothing compared to my computer.

12. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    :eek: Ummm... You just said your PS3 is silent... but then you chose louder than a PS2...(??) :confused: and then you start talking about fan noise where as this poll is only referring to the blu-ray drive... :confused:

13. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    My drive is quiet...very very quiet, well so is my PS3 actually, very quiet fan n Level 1 ALL the time. It's not broken as I've had it checked at the shop and they just laughed at me. I used to own a xbox360 :) that's why I got scared when I could not hear the fan or the drive.

14. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Mine is silent too. Certainly quieter then a PS2 or normal DVD drive. I've never noticed a peep out of mine. The machine as a the whole is pretty quiet.

15. Tommy Teapot

Tommy Teapot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    mine is ubber quite, i play plenty of blu-rays + games, tbh i never ever hear the fans kick in:smashin: , it really is that quite! i own a 360 and it sounds like a space craft takin off!!! today i bought a cooling system for my 360 and its even louder!! stops the machine from freezing tho! its my 3rd system :( really feel for the guys an gals with noisey ass machines tho:( , nothing worse than watching a movie staring at the machine repeating in your head "it doesnt annoy me no it really doesnt annoy me" :mad:

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    This thread is about the noise the drive makes and not the fans.

17. Matt543

Matt543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yep my bad, just ignore me, everyone else does :clap:

18. Tommy Teapot

Tommy Teapot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    ahh soz :( either way mine wouldnt wake a mouse, super quite be it the fans or the drive

19. Bad06SS

Bad06SS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PS3 is quiet. It's my Elite that's loud.....

20. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hmmm - Well just rang Sony Careline and after a long conversation with them, they will be picking the unit up next week and giving me a brand new replacement console. :thumbsup: I just hope I don't get one with the infamous fan problem though...

It was funny because they kept asking if the noise was from the fan... They almost didn't believe it could be coming from the drive... I kept saying no, it's the blu-ray drive... They said they've never come across this problem... I guess I must be the only person with a dodgy drive instead of a dodgy fan...

Please can someone confirm exactly what system files etc. I need to back up off my existing console to make the machine work properly... I have a 1GB SD card which I was planning on using to backup all the files I need - is it likely to be enough? Do I just copy over the 'game save' data - nothing else?

The guy on the phone was telling me to backup the entire hard-drive onto something... :rolleyes:

I have downloaded and purchased games onto my current PS3 - do I just download them again free of charge to the new console?

21. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    mine is quiet, though when it spins up it does have a noticable deep 'hum'. that is amplified by sitting on a wooden box though. if it were on a shelf or something i doubt its hear it.

22. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    don't know how loud mine is, I cannot hear it for my xbox 360 noise :rolleyes:

23. amita

amita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I've just bought a PS3 (from Virgin too incidentally) and i have to admit, the noise of the drive when the laser moves back and forth was one of the first things i noticed. I spoke to Sony who felt that this definitely wasn't normal. I've spent some time in PC World and Currys yesterday looking at the PS3s they have on display while loading up discs, and they've been quiet as a mouse even when i put my ear up close to them. Gonna check out a mate's PS3 tomorrow in his home, obviously a quieter environment than a store, and then probably get a replacement from Virgin.

24. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I was meant to have received my replacement unit on Tuesday - Waited all day and nothing came. Rang them, and was told they had made a mistake and the item hasn't been sent out... (???) Finally received the PS3 today and guess what... It arrived covered in dust and loads of heavy scratches... ******* They told me it would be a brand new replacement - it looks worse than a second hand machine!!! (my own machine doesn't have a single scratch/mark on it and I've owned it since launch). I refused it and sent it back... will be getting another one tomorrow. I think they are completely lying when they say the replacements are brand new - I have heard other people on this forum saying theirs had scratch marks near the ports as if the machine had been used. I think I'll start a new thread about this, to find out exactly if this problem is widespread... I just spoke to their careline and they told me they don't have any refurbished units as the PS3 is so new, only brand new ones and it would be illegal for them to send out used / refurbished replacement units to customers and they would never do it... Sounds like BS to me...

(If any of you have had problems with your PS3 replacements, please can you post here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521448)

25. amita

amita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Just received my replacement from Virgin today - 'tis marginally quieter than the last one, esp. when loading up Motorstorm. But to be honest there's not much difference, so i think i shall make my peace and accept it. By the way, quick question anyone, but is the PS3 meant to 'beep' when it ejects a disc? My new unit doesn't seem to, and i can't remember whether the last one did!

26. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    No. It's not meant to beep when you eject a disc.

27. amita

amita

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Many thanks Moogle, you're a legend. :)

28. bluesaviour82

bluesaviour82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had my "nosiy blu ray drive" ps3 swapped today but Ive been very ****** of with what Ive recieved back.

Ok so sony sent me a brand new ps3 but............This thing is LOUD very loud. The fan noise is as loud as a 360 and kicks into top speed , the dvd drive still makes a racket loading fight night 3 and motorstorm and what really worried me the most is this thing get very hot very quick.

All I want is what Sony promised, a console as loud as a slimline ps2. There is no-way the 2 consoles ive no had are anyway near as silent as sony has made the ps3 out to be, be it loading noise or fan noise. Im not happy.The reason I sold my 360 was simply because I couldnt stand the racket the thing made and to be honest the ps3 isnt much better.

I would really like to meet someone who claims to have a silent ps3!

Well Ive been told a ps3 will be with me monday, except at no point was I told I would recieve a brand new machine like before . :thumbsdow

Roll on Monday!:( cos I aint turning that thing on Ive got at the moment!

29. Master Yoda

Master Yoda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Oh great... Now I feel even worse than I did before... What are Sony playing at??? Maybe I should just hang on to my machine and be grateful... I will seriously kill someone if the machine that I get is worse than the one I have.

I don't understand how so many people can claim their machines are silent... If it's normal for the drive to make loading noise, can someone please tell the truth and let us know, cos I'm going through alot of hassle right now to change my machine... If normal PS3s DO actually make alot of loading noise on games then I am more than happy to live with it... What will make me really angry is if loads of people here say theirs is silent (for whatever reason), when infact they're not... and I end up changing my machine for nothing (and probably getting a worse refurb).

30. bluesaviour82

bluesaviour82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant see how people say there machine is silent. Theres no-way the playstation 3 can operate without making any noise. It may be very quiet but silent im sure there not!

Im worried about getting a refurb considering i paid over 500 pounds for my ps3 bundle at launch, I dont really want a 2nd hand machine thats been repaired.

Im considering emailing Sony becuase there are issues with the ps3 that I think there failing to admit.

I want to know are some models quieter than others! I want to hear it from them to see if that statement is fact or fiction.

Im sure all ps3 make noise it's just it bothers some people more than others. There is no-way from hearing mines and a fews mates ps3's that there are as quiet as slim ps2's.