Very Newby question Re: OLED Light Settings.

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Alanis, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Alanis

Alanis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've just bought my first OLED TV (LG B7) which is just being used for gaming and I have the following question:

• For the HDR settings, is it ok/correct to have the OLED light set to 100, with the contrast settings set to the same?
    I ask this question because I've read many peoples concerns on the forum about burn-in, whereas other people have suggested that for HDR, the OLED light should be maxed out to get the most from the wider colour spectrum.

The TV was set to 100 by default and I like my screen bright at all times, I just wanted to make sure that I'm not going to cause any damage by keeping it this way :)

Any helpful feedback would be appreciated. Sorry its a basic question, but I was struggling to find a straightforward answer, if there is one!

Thank you :)

2. lgans316

lgans316
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    Heard that backlight and contrast must be at Max for HDR. I.am never used to watching my Plasma.bright.. My contrast is at 56. Anything beyond 70 is way too bright during night time.

3. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    OLED Light & Contrast are both set to 100 by default for HDR content so it's perfectly normal.

I see that you mention that you're going to be using your set just for gaming which does slightly concern me tbh in regards to IR / Screen burn possibly happening especially if you're going to be playing games with static icons for many hrs for days on end.

Just be careful & ensure that you let the set do the regular automatic compensation cleaning cycles that happen when the set is put into standby after it's accumulated 4hrs as often as possible.

Also, make sure that you ALWAYS leave the set powered on at the mains as otherwise these important cycles won't happen & you could end up which a ton of screen burn on your set.

4. Alanis

Alanis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I didn't know the TV runs cleaning cycles! Do you know if this is something I need to apply in the settings, or is it setup to do this out of the box?

Thanks again.

5. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    The tv runs a quick clean most times you turn it off normally, takes about 10 minutes.

In settings —> picture —> oled panel settings —> pixel refresher there’s a longer cleaning cycle which is recommend you run about once a month, or after a heavy day of usage (6 hours of gaming for example )

6. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Automatic when it goes into standby after 4 hours cumulative use.

7. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Recommended by who?
    Not by Sony on their Oled TVs which use LG panels
    Caution:
    • The Panel refresh function may affect the panel. As a reference, perform the Panel refresh only once a year, do not perform it more than once a year as it may affect the usable life of the panel.

8. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Recommend by LG sales, LG technical team and the LG engineers.
    No evidence that running a pixel refresh can negatively impact the life of the panel whatsoever, else it would be dissuaded, as well as mentioned on the TV os.
    That, and not having the brightness all the way up all the time.

9. BigBee

BigBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Have owned an E7 since early December last year and about 60%-ish of my use is gaming, the rest normal TV viewing. I don't game literally all day / night but I do often game for about 4 hours at a time, no issues with IR / burn in at all. Can also confirm the OLED light and contrast are both set to 100 for HDR, looks fab :)

Also read on this very site to only use the pixel refresher if something's gone wrong - ie you have IR. The rest of the time, the automatic cleaning cycle should be sufficient.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    Yet...
    But you are not advocating running a single refresh but multiple ones even as frequently as after "6 hours of gaming" use.

That Sony, using the same LG Display panels, specifically warn against doing it more than once a year flashes warning signs to me. WARNING! Don't perform Panel refresh more than once a year as it may affect the panel's useable life.
    What Does the Panel Refresh Do on My OLED TV? | Sony USA
    Ok, it says 'may' rather than 'will' so "You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" :)

While you may be willing to accept what LG 'says' I'm not, especially as their get out for any panel problems is misuse. LG offer a 1 year manufacturer warranty. If you do something which reduces the panel life from say 10 years down to 3-4 years (or less) it's no skin off their nose...

Call me paranoid but while the one hour pixel refresh can clear panel issues in the short term and thus save LG having to replace a panel under warranty, the jury is still out on what effect running this function as frequently as "after a heavy day of usage (6 hours of gaming for example)" would have on the long term life span of a panel.

Automated running of this is after 2,000 hours of use on an LG Oled. You manually run after 6 hours use frequently and the refresh could run over 300 times more in the same 2,000 hours. If it was a magic bullet which could fix any panel issues without having any unwanted effects I suspect LG would have it kick in more frequently and also Sony wouldn't explicitly warn against running it more than once a year. Your money, your choice...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  11. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    Totally agree. The regular automatic compensation cycles that happen every 4hrs should be sufficient imo.

No need to run the longer 1hr one unless you see IR developing.

Best way to check if IR is happening is to download some coloured slides onto a USB stick (red typically shows up any IR) & have a look for any IR after a long gaming session.

If there's any IR after the automatic comp has run (4hrs of usage) then a manual comp should get rid of it as long as you've been vigilant & caught it early.

I certainly wouldn't recommend running the long manual cycle regularly though for the reasons @doug56hl explained in his 2 posts.

Only use it if you experience stubborn IR that won't go away with the regular automatic comp cycles.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  12. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +742

Contrast should be 85 for normal content and 100 for Hdr variants
    If your panel/picture is to bright it is the Oled Light setting you need to reduce.