1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very new Newbie

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jon99, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure this question has been asked & anwered many times before so I would just appreciate a link or links to the answer(s).

I am totally confused over the various formats DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW.
    I am looking to buy a reasonably priced DVD recorder that will play DVD's (all formats?) CDs VCDs SVCDs etc. :confused:

Can you please direct me to a good simple source of information? From the little I have read I realise that the format debate is fraught with bias and I have no wish to stir up trouble. I would just appreciate a little help. :lease:

Thanks for reading this.

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The relevance of the 'format' question isn't really that important these days. In PCs the issue has become non-existance with the arrival of Dual and Super Multi DVD burners, and in set-tops it is the features the machines offer that are what shoud sway your purchase. In the end of the day the biggest difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW is who gets the licence fee. Accordingly you shoud ask yourself:

- Do you want a HDD machine (do you want to edit and retain compatibility with other DVD players)?

- What sources do you want to record from, i.e. VHS, Sky, Freeview?

- What TV/screen are you going to connect the DVD recorder to?

- Does the machine have to be user friendly, i.e. will technophone wife/husband be using it?

- Do you require DV input for a Digital Camcorder?

- Do you require PC/SD Card slots for Digital Cameras?

- What formats do you want to play, i.e. MP3, WMA, DVD-Audio?

If you answer these questions and then buy a suitable DVD recorder then your much more likely to get something you want as opposed to trying to read through +/- arguments which are, largely, totally irrelevant to set-top purchases.

4. jon99

jon99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Bob & Rasczak. :smashin:

Before I get down to some serious reading and thought can I ask a couple of supplementary questions?

One of the things I do is produce VCD & SVCD along with DVDs. These are authored on my PC (using a Plextor PX-708a burner).

My current DVD player a BUSH 2023, is very inadequate when it comes to playing VCDs and SVCDs and it will not look at a CD.

Do modern DVD Recorders all support CD, VCD & SVCD media? I note that some reviews cover these formats and others don't?

I will want to record from Sky & VHS. What should I look for here?

The Bush DVD I use produces very low volume is this normal?

I will want to link the DVD Recorder to my JVC AV32R25EK TV and I also use a Panasonic NV-HS830B VCR. Are you aware of any pitfalls in linking these to modern DVD Recorders?

Thank you once more for your patience. :)

John