1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very long analog interconnects....

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Antpink, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    All,
    Shot in the dark here.... I have recently invested in a new receiver and am now thinking of using Zone 2 pre-outs to drive a stereo system. Keep them separate for now, but use pre-amp capabilities while I save for a justifiable dedicated pre-amp stage. So I need to look at a very long stereo i/c to be able to do this as the stereo kit and AV kit are on opposite sides of the room. There is logic in this that I won't go into details, suffice it to say that the AV points one way, the stereo the other, and when we want to listen to music we slide the 2 seat sofa in front of the TV!

I/C has to be around 12 m long! Obviously, the cost of the cable has to be less than a new "decent pre-amp" or I'll just wait.

Reasons for change are few, but I want to replace my all-valve pre/power set-up in favour of something less attractive to a 2 year old's prying fingers... My source is a Meridien 507, and power amp - not sure, but will shortly be auditioning various ones. Trade in value of the valve amps should be good enough to get a decent power amp, with a view to future upgrading.

My major concern is losses inherent over distance runs, in both quality and signal strength, so what am I looking at????

Any help muchly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    C'mon guys (and gals) - any help out there??

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Look for a stereo to cat5 type converter..... see here for some ideas....http://www.kat5.tv/index1.html
    No reason why it shouldn't work for audio as it does for Video (infact some multiroom systems send audio over Cat5 without converion.... QED Modular for example)

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    HD,
    Thanks for that :thumbsup: .
    I have emailed the website owner, and will see what his response is - interesting idea, and no reason why it shouldn't work...
    Cheers

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  6. Gerard Fernand

Gerard Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Try http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=75 for dedicated, unbalanced audio to Cat5. see MN500019, you would need four for a stereo pair. Other audio and video modules available. The total cost of the Cat5 extenders may make it cheaper to use decent quality anaolgue interconnects. I would suggest that Cat5 extenders would usually be used for much longer runs.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    12m is long for standard analogue audio..... but do-able just.......... (question is how much do you spend on cable to try and retain quality????)

8. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yep - that's the main issue - I spend enough on a cable of sufficient quality to go the distance, and I may as well have bought a decent separate pre-amp stage anyway! I wish ebay Singapore had the goodies on offer on ebay UK!