1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very late comer to the PS2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by robyoung, Jul 14, 2004.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all,

I've had a Gamecube since it was released but have just been given (yes given, no nothing dodgy!) a PS2 with no games.

So as i havent particularly kept of with the releases i was looking for a list of reccomendations of must have games (doesnt matter how old) that i will have missed.

I ordered XIII from play.com for £9.99 and am very pleased with that. Just looking for some other suggestions to build my collection!

cheers Rob :D

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Burnout2 is my all time fav PS2 game and is highly adictive. :thumbsup:

3. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    If you like football, Pro Evo Soccer 3 is a must or Tiger woods Golf 2004 if you like golf
    Grand Theft Auto and Vice City
    Ico if you like adventure games
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time (very underated)
    Burnout 2 is great fun also Grand Turismo 3 is still very good.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Buzz beat me to pro evo3 :mad: :laugh:
    If you like platformers? i'd look at Ratchet & Clank 1&2 or jak & Daxter 1&2.
    But whatever you do buy Pro Evo3 it's the law ok mate? :thumbsup:

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have 2 and a half words and a number for you:

Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! Virtua Fighter 4: Evo! :D

The best fighting game ever and criminally cheap to buy (about £10 at most places) Start scratching the surface on that game and you won't want to play anything else! For months!

Other top games have already been suggested (GTA sucks though! :boring: ) -

Pro Evo. I'd suggest Pro Evo 2 though...imo it's a lot better than 3 (no slowdown and the ridiculous handball feature was only introduced in number 3 :nono: )
    Ico
    Rez - insane shooter from Sega. One of the most visually unique games I've ever played
    Devil May Cry - doesn't need an explanation. It rocks!
    Onimusha - very good series in the Resi Evil vein of gaming, but with emphasis on action instead of puzzles. Great stories too :thumbsup:

If you can play imports then there's a ton of shooters I'd recommend as well as more obscure stuff like the Sega remakes (Outrun and Virtua Racer for example)

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm lucky i really don't have the slowdown on mine, i do know what the slowdown is the demo had it really bad. the handball feature is a pain though i must admit.

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't keep Pro Evo 3 for very long - about 3 months - before I sold it and went back to Pro Evo 2. I really didn't like 3 at all

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Pro Evo 3 and Ico are the best PS2 exclusive titles.

Most games are cross format, and if you have an NGC then just get it for that as NGC graphics are far better than PS2.

If you have enough money then i'd recommend getting an xbox too!

All 3 consoles have something different to offer and it'd be a shame to miss out on some great games on all formats!

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    My Pro Evo 3 never slows down and as a game it's far better than Pro Evo 2 (I compared them both recently and there is no contest). Yes the handball, the refs and the crappy advantage system (which never seems to work right) are pains but the game is a work of pure genius.

Also check out...

- GT3 is a decent racer and is dead cheap (still the best PS2 racer IMO).

- Burnout 2 is a great laugh and is also a cheapo!

- VF4 and Evo are both great fighters!

- Fight Night 2004 - new game but class!! Superb boxing game!

- the ESPN games - I have NFL and NHL and they are both superb!

- If you get it modded then go for the Sega 2500 3D ages games (all Jap at the moment although they are supposed to be coming to Europe) like Afterburner2, Outrun, Space Harrier, Monaco GP, Virtua Racing etc. Awesome games and at a budget price (about £15 a title!).

10. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the subject of fighters, take a look at tekken tag or tekken 4 as i prefer these much more than virtua fighter 4.
    and almost every ps2 game collection should include a tony hawks game of some sort, yeah, the games are available on other systems but general concensus is that the ps2 has the best controller for the games. and theyre cheap as chips now for the older tony hawks games.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Yeah the Tekken games are good but I find them more arcadey and whilst they are easier to pick up and play, I also feel they lack the depth of the VF games.

Depends what you want I guess, I would say buy the following if you are after the relevant type of game:

- In depth fighter - Virtua Fighter 4 Evo

- More arcadey but still with Depth - Tekkan Tag Tourney (better than Tekkan 4 IMO)

- Pure arcadey - the Dead or Alive games or Soul Calibur 2

If you're after 2D beat em ups then the Guilty Gear games and the SNK or Marvel vs Capcom are good, as is the recently released Streetfighter 2 collection!

The good thing is that all of the above can be bought dead cheap these days!

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    Depends on what you like really? The PS2 catalogue is pretty vast, and if you add imported games in also there is literely something for everyone. Anyway some recommendations:

GTA 3 and Vice City
    Burnout 2
    ICO
    Prince of Persia - all these are good, as others have said

TimeSplitters 2 - fun FPS both singleplayer and especially with a multitap and mates. Spent hours last christmas with link PS2s playing this also.
    Mark of Kri - another underrated game, fun (if short) and very stylish.
    Beyond Good & Evil - another Ubi game, adventure/exploring semi-platformer, all rolled up with a good story and great visuals.
    SOCOM 2 - the most popular tactical shooter for a console, and massive online fanbase. Play with 3000+ people at once!
    Champions of Norrath - an updated Gauntlet sort of, online (though shockingly implemented) and fun if you have mates also with it.
    Freedom Fighters - liberate the US of A with other militants. Good 3rd person squad game.
    Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - impressive shooter/platformer, good level design and fun, though some say its hard (the wusses).
    War of the Monsters - with mates this is a blast, an update on Rampage, but also the best fully 3D fighting game out IMO. Much more fun than Tekken etc.

If you're importing:
    Armored Core Nexus (JAP), or AC: Silent Line (USA) if you're unsure of descyphering Kanji, quite literally the best action mecha out there. Avoid the dire (in comparision) PAL AC3... buy PAL AC2 or AC2: Another Age are both cheap if you want a taste of mecha, but import the real goods!
    Chikyuu Boueigun - budget monster fest blaster. A total laugh, and cheap at 2000 yen.
    Bujingai - puts Dante in Devil May Cry to shame, this is a fantastic game, boss fights are like a 3D beat 'em up, and normal guys are like a combo-fest side scroller. Blindingly good visuals, controls and gamedesign.
    Metal Slug 3 - rock hard 2D shooter. But you dont get better unless you own an arcade machine.
    Robot Alchemic Drive - mecha with a weird but well implemented control system, the story is a bit Japanese, but some great fun to be had with this. (this is the yank named version BTW)
    Initial D - havent got it myself, but many rave about this GT type racer.

There's well more which are worth playing, but ultimately flawed, but if you hunt the bargin bins you can probably spot some big games very cheaply - Hitman 1, Metal Gear Solid and so on. Also see the two threads i've linked below. Have fun now!

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86772

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137677

13. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Now thats a bold statement if ever i heard one. 3000+ people, at once! How big is the map?!?!?!? the lag on that must must awesome, press forward, move 3 hours later :D

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Indeed, whilst I agree that it is the most popular tactical shooter on a console, i'm not at all sure where the 3000+ players thing comes from!!

SOCOM2 supports online play for up to 16 players (8 per team) which is about right for the size of the maps. It's some way short of 3000 though lol.

Good game though and worth a blast if you're going online! If you have a PC though I wouldn't bother as you can get much better tactical shooters (allbeit FPS's) on the PC.

15. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    He didn't mean 3000 players on one map at the same time :laugh: He meant up to 3000 people playing online in different games, on different servers etc

16. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Only 3000?

PGR2 has way more than that!

I know because I am ranked about 15,000 on many of the races :blush: :laugh:

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    wow 15,000 I must say that is a lot, infact that means that just about every X-Box owner must play PGR2 online :D :)

To be serious though I guess these figures show that online gaming really is still the domain of the PC. Counterstrike alone must have around a million players (over 100,000 subscribe to the CS forum and I would say only the hardcore players would really subscribe there). Then you have the MMORPG's, some (like EQ, DAOC, Ultima etc) with massive player bases, with several thousand players on the same server at the same time.

Consoles are a good laugh when it comes to a game of footie with your mates etc - it's a small box that is easily plugged in to any TV. PC's on the other hand tend to be more permanent setups with more added peripherals and a dedicated desk making them more suited to serious gaming like sims, FPS games, long duration (8-12 hours +) strategy games etc.

When I make a PC purchase decision the online capability is often more important than the single player or multiplayer/same machine aspect of the game. WHen I buy a console game I must say I still don't even really consider it's online functions. Maybe this will change in the future though with broadband now becoming the norm.

18. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,926
    <sigh>

I meant when you log onto SOCOM 2 there is (in the European servers) between 500 players (at 0500 in the morning) and 4500 players (at peak times) "online" on different servers and in different games to play against. About 3K average. Yes its a max of 8 players per team, and 16 players in a game. But the oppertunity is there to have all your mates avaliable to be picked to play with.

If we are doing the "my game is bigger online than yours"; The European servers of SOCOM 2 (alone) have over 30,000 registered players, i know because some of my clan-mates are that low, and it might be more like 40K. The USA servers are however much more popular, with 20-30,000 consecutive players online, on different servers, at peak times, and i do not dare to hazard how many registered users there are. I can drag out a game buisness article that was published a while back that went through the figures saying that SOCOM 2 in the USA alone beat every Xbox live game for popularity. Makes sense logically, since the PS2 has a 70 million installed user base vs Xboxs 7-10(?) million base. And as said PC's online kick consoles all the time at the mo. But these penis-size comparision threads bore me...

EDIT: quick 'n nasty search http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/socom2/news_6083510.html the business investigation was much more interesting.

So back to the point of this topic? Namely games for this new PS2 owner to play?

19. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    The lowest ranked person on PGR2 is ranked 216,000!!! For some reason there are a few people who have 0 kudos points, adn are therefore on rank 0!

20. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,449
    Did they not just hit the millionth Xbox Live subscriber recently?

The first thing I always look for on a game is the Live banner across the top, it takes a special title for me to get it if its offline only.

PCs vs consoles online - whenever I play a PC game online now, I notice so much more how much it annoys to have to type to communicate (I know there are voice comms packages, but they aren't generally integrated into the games themselves). The Live voice comms and Friends list as standard across all online titles really makes all the difference for me...

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    Yes, I agree, probably the most valid point made during the last few posts (mine included). The fact that games on other systems may have more subscribers is completely irrelevant to this thread.

It is a shame that the PS2 can't be discussed on this forum without someone butting in about the X-Box being better and how the person concerned (who in this case is solely interested in PS2 games) should buy an X-Box :rolleyes: .

My comments regarding PC online play are also irrelevant to this thread and should be disregarded along with the previous unrelated posts.

So back on topic...there are a wealth of great games to select from and i'll try and catagorise them below:

Online games : Socom 2, NFSU, SSX3, EQ Champions of Norrath & Online adventures

Sports : PES3, ESPN NHL, ESPN NFL, Tiger Woods 2004, Fight Night 2004 - WE8 is out in Japan 5th August (need to get PS2 chipped though or wait for PES4)

Driving : GT3, NFSU, Burnout 2, Formula 1 2003, Outrun (3D Ages 2500 - import only)

Adventure/platform : Prince of Persia, Rachet & Clank 2, Beyond good & evil, Jak 2, ICO

Beat em up/fighting : VF4 evo, Tekken 4, Tekken Tag Tournament, Soul Calibur 2, Fight Night 2004

Shooters : Gradius 5 (out this week in Japan - need chipped PS2 or wait for EU release), Gradius 3 & 4, Rtypes (PS1), Metal Slug 3 (Again import only & MS4 out in Sept), Afterburner (3D Ages 2500 - import only), Psyvariar (import), Rez, R-Type Final, Strikers 1945 1 & 2 (Import), Timesplitters 2

RPG/Strategy - Final Fantasy X international (import), Gauntley Legends (cheap and a reasonable laugh), EQ online adventures & Champs of Norrath. Not really into this type of game so others could best advise here.

Anyway you should have enough to be getting on with anyway. I would recommend you get it modded as there are some great import only games out there!

22. philipjg

philipjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My top three games on the PS2

GTA: Vice City
    Crazy Taxi
    Gran Turismo 3

23. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Have a look at my sig for my PS2 games :smashin:

24. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Wow thanks people! :thumbsup:

i think that's more than enough to start (finish!) with! that will surely keep me busy! I was looking on Play.com and a lot of the titles mentioned (Onimusha 1 & 2, VF4 Evo, Pro Evo 2 etc) were all 9.99 but now 'Sold Out' anywhere else i could get these titles for relatively cheap? :confused:

Just ordered Prince of Persia. :) Havent really got any preference of Genres, as long as its an enjoyable game thats quite easy to get into (i dont have too much time play) then thats cool. Onimusha looks good. Whats the 3rd (more expensive) one like?

Also wheres the cheapest place for an official Memory card & controller?

Cheers Rob

25. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,626
    pop is great, onimusha 3 aint out yet but i think will be really good. Get the first 2 onimushas as well, second hand they should only cost around £17 the pair.

If you like horrorish titles try

manhunt
    silent hill 2
    silent hill 3
    the suffering
    ghost hunter

rpg's
    final fantasy 10
    " " 10-2
    dark cloud
    " " 2 (dark chronicle)
    breath of fire dragon quarter
    kingdom hearts

raceing
    gt 3
    gt concept
    need 4 speed underground
    wipeout fusion

general not in a category by me

castlevania
    spawn armageddon
    gta3
    gta vice city
    shox
    ssx 1, tricky and 3
    hyper street fighter 2 collection comes with first movie
    soul calibur 2
    worms 3-d
    shinobi
    time splitters 1 and 2
    smackdown here comes the pain
    monopoly party (if going online wait for the online version)

FUTURE
    gta san andreas (october i think)
    gt4 ??
    onimusha 3
    burnout 3
    killzone
    metal gear solid 3
    resident evil outbreak
    fifa 05, tiger woods 05 etc...

hope i havent repeated too much and that this helps

tris

26. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good list :) I'd agree with the majority of those anyway

Onimusha 3 is out btw. It's been out in Europe for about 3 weeks, US for 2 months or so and about 5 months in Japan

27. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,626

I have just realised that :rotfl:

So Ive been in the games shop and got my copy that they've been holding for me for so much time. I appologised and got it, it's lucky Im a good customer I just forgot :laugh:

tris

28. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
  29. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    The ones on there that are worth getting are probably:

GTA3 double pack - not my cup of tea but well regarded
    Tony Hawks underground
    Jak2 : Renegade
    Soul Calibur 2

Others like Guilty Gear X, Dynasty Warriors Tactics, Splinter Cell, Conflict Desert storm 2 & Rtype Final are also pretty good.

30. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Silent Hill 4: The Room is a helluva game and also kill.switch, which has really surprised me - not out here but if you can get it import you won;t go wrong with these.