Very large outdoor projector screens

ptt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I want to build 2x 9x16 meter screens for a little son et luminair project next year. Anybody ever tried to build screens this size? Absolute quality is not really an issue. I am currently looking at steel frames with translucent plastic sheeting strung across. This of course creates a huge sail so if it's windy, it just won't work. Roadside orange squared barrier plastic would solve the wind problem but would the projected image be good enough?

Outdoors, pitch black, very good widescreen projectors.

Cheers,

Ian

You could ask harkness about hiring one? Hawthorn Hire in leicester or someone like Saville AV will have some.

A large screen outdoors will need to be supported by properly rated truss with well anchored guides!

Chris

I suspect we can busk one for about a 10th the cost of hiring one but thanks anyway :)

Moved to PJ Screens

Thanks Inzaman, new forum, new wrong places to post ;)

The biggest concern is the support structure - please don't attempt to lash something together. A DIY screen with proper supports should be fine if done properly.

I was thinking 40mm box section 3mm steel welded in a rectangle with central supports covered in opaque plastic sheeting, the whole thing secured with guy ropes and anchored into the ground with serious steel sections.

By busk, I didn't mean do a half hearted job! Remeber, amatures built the ark whilst pros built the Titanic :)

amatures built the ark whilst pros built the Titanic :)

lol! I'll remember that one ;)

The harkness screens of that sort of size are ~50 x 20 ally, so 40mm thick wall steel should be sufficient.

I would still look to hire some truss for the support structure - it's not that expensive even with a rigger for the day. You could even use a scaffolding company. The key points are a) make sure it's signed off by somebody who is qualified; and b) even if it's just to cover your arse from an insurance point of view.

For attachments to the support structure, either shackles or eye bolts through the frame would be easiest.

Why don't you touch base with a (local) scaffolding firm? Sort of challenge they might take on? What sort of event is it for?

Not wishing to be coy but the event is quite secret. It's a competition in which we are entered. I wouldn't want opposing teams stumbling over this thread and finding out our plans!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom