very high end compact

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
does anyone know really whats out there to rival a dslr but is far easier to carry around? like the 4/3rds or micro 4/3rds or compact with a big sensor and light interchangeable lenses?
Really got to get something thats sharp and great to use to bring the joy back to taking photographs again:(

christam

It's the Panasonic GH2 that's done just that for me. I sold a full 7D system a few months ago because the weight became a major issue. Then I tried a Canon bridge camera but good as it is in many ways I couldn't get used to the slower focus and kept missing the magic moments with a new puppy by fractions of a second.

The GH2 seems to be the perfect compromise between weight and all-round ability. I love it and have shot more keepers during the past month than during the past year.

Kamakazie

I have just bought an Olympus E-PL2 and am very impressed with the results.
Certainly a match for the Panasonic GF1 / GF2 and whilst the Nex series has better sensors, I didn't like the handling when I had a go in the shop and found the lack of compact lenses the biggest downside.

sleekyG

Heard a lot of good things about Panasonic TZ10. But it doesn't have an interchangeable lens. Check it out though. :)

Craggyisland

I decided on getting the Panasonic G2, after initially deciding that I was going to get the NEX-5 and then the GF1 or GF2 (smaller being better in my mind). After handling them all in the flesh I decided that there really wasn't too much difference between getting the GF2 and the G2. I'm very happy with the camera. Means carting around a fair bit of stuff if I want to carry about all of the crap that I've bought, but I do have the option of just taking less if I want to and still being able to take some good pictures.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Thanks all, I'm a bit spoiled with my D90 and f2.8 zoom for image quality but it's having something with me all the time with v good quality but without the bags and weight-
It's all pointing back to the xz-1, shame the panny tz20 doesn't review well even against the tz10

jmbrailsford

Hi,

Check out Digital Rev for comparison of Nex 5 and XZ1, they have a video comparison too, and they also take a look at the Canon s95 as well as the G12 and others that might interest you.

Mike.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Check out Digital Rev for comparison of Nex 5 and XZ1, they have a video comparison too, and they also take a look at the Canon s95 as well as the G12 and others that might interest you.

Mike.

Thanks Mike- looks good, they didnt have a production model to do the comparison but the video review was useful- are digital Rev ok to buy from?

Chubster

How can they charge that sort of money for delivery....how were they sending it, via personal courier. Really p***es me off

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
How can they charge that sort of money for delivery....how were they sending it, via personal courier. Really p***es me off

That's probably the price of shipping from Hong Kong, since that's where they're based. Still seems a bit extreme though.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice- now got the oly xz1 from a UK shop for £329 delivered:clap:
Ukdigitalcameras are still cheaper but they've never had them in stock and no idea when they will:nono: might as well advertise it for a fiver for all the good it does:boring:

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to seeing some shots with this now you have something more portable.

Awwwww Naaaawwwww now the pressures on:rolleyes:

/note to self........keep gob shut
:laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom