Very happy with the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170

craig808

I've already posted this on the Lyngdorf discussion thread but thought I'd put this on here as well in case anyone's thinking of buying a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 and have never been on the other thread.

The amp arrived yesterday, early afternoon and immediately I can say I'm very happy indeed. Compared to everything else that I have owned the soundstage is huge and the sq is definitely an improvement on the Arcam SA30 which it's replaced. I used the Node2 to stream from Tidal bypassed directly to the TDAI 2170 and use Roon as the controller.

The first thing to do is to run Room Perfect using the supplied mic and stand. This process is an absolute breeze to complete, much easier than Dirac. Once all measurements have been taken you can choose between Focus (your primary listening place), Global (designed to fill the entire room) or Bypass (self-explanatory). Lyngdorf also provides several "voicings" which are well thought out. Although it must be noted, these are preset and can not be altered.

When listening to music, if anything I found the highs to be a bit sharp but am guessing that will be part the Monitor Audios which are bright anyway, paired with the Lyngdorf which is reproducing my music truer ( is that even a word?) and how the artist intended it to be heard. I have messed around with the voicings but personally, for me I found that I got better results using the DSP in Roon. This is not to say that Lyngdorfs voicings are no good, I just feel that I can pinpoint the exact fq's which I want rather than relying on Lyngdorf.

I found the amp to be extremely articulate and dynamic. I love how dynamic it is but also found that is where the issues lie with the brightness. I listened to that many different songs and genres yesterday that I can't think of an exact example, but imagine a breakdown in the song and the guitarist is playing very lightly accompanied by the singer - all sounds very well. Then the band start to pick things up bar by bar - still all sounds very well and the amp lets you feel every note as the music becomes more intense. You get a real sense of emotion in the music - it really is a pleasure. Each pick of a string, even a deep intake of breath by a singer and the mechanism of drum foot pedals can be heard. Then when the band reaches its crescendo the speakers explode into life with a fantastic amount of articulate, detailed sound, but for my ears just a touch too much brightness. Like I say though, I managed to tone it down with the DSP.

Something else that I liked is how it doesn't seem to matter where I am sat in the living room, there is very little change in the sound. With my past systems, I could move a few inches in any direction and I could tell a difference - I found that quite annoying as I had to place a chair in an exact position to enjoy optimal listening. So using the new amp yesterday was an absolute pleasure and a bit of a revelation for me!

I still need to play with the RP a bit more. The amp only arrived yesterday afternoon so I quickly set it up and started listening to as many different genres as I could and working my way around the settings. I could tell a difference between the 3 RP settings; Global, Focus and Bypass but it wasn't as night and day as maybe I was expecting but to be honest I am not sure what I was expecting. And in all honestly, I was that keen to set everything up and start listening I didn't give my self enough time as the process probably warrants. I also forgot to place the speakers against the front wall as recommended by Lyngdorf. So when the wife and kids are next out I will go through the set-up again and spend much more time. I was very impressed with the set up of RP compared with Dirac - it was such a simple operation.

As I have already mentioned in another post, I wish the volume would go higher than +12db. Don't get me wrong, at that level it is definitely loud, very loud. But occasionally I would like to go higher. With all of the setups I have owned in the past, I can only get the volume to approximately 50% then it is just ridiculously loud. Yesterday I found my self on a few occasions wanting to increase the volume. Anyway, it seems that it is what it is and there's nothing that I can do about that.

Edit: today I've been informed that this can be increased to 24db but as yet I've not had chances to try.

When speaking to the retailer he asked if I need any of the various add ons that can be purchased and it was decided that because I primarily listen to music and don't bother with films that we would not bother including any of them.

For the very small amount of films that we watch it was decided that simply connecting the amp to the tv with an optical cable would be enough for what I need.

So last night we decided to put Transformers on, this is not something that we would ever choose to watch but thought that it would be good for demo purposes.

For a family that claims to have zero interested in films and couldn't care less how they sound we were all blown away. It was actually quite comical.

We turned the sub on to movie setting and cranked the volume on the amp and all 4 of us were sat on the edge of our seats open-mouthed unanimously saying "wow".

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that many of you will have far superior movie setups, but for us it was an absolute revelation which we thoroughly enjoyed. The depth of sound and the bass was immense. Being such an articulate and dynamic amp, the fight scenes blew our minds.

So it turns out that we do like films after all - the power of Lyngdorf eh!!

I would also like to mention where I bought it from.
After seeing his name on here, I contacted Richard @Seriously Ltd who I can't recommend enough. I had previously spoken to another company but wasn't filled with confidence as they were not able to offer the advice that I required and I even told them some facts about the Lyngdorf and the Arcam because he didn't know them. Richard has always been at the other end of the phone and clearly has a passion for HiFi which is evident in the conversations that we have had. He also sorted me out a very good deal on the Lyngdord so all in all I am a very happy man and would recommend giving him a call.

The TDAI 2170 has proved to be every bit as good as people say it is and imo it lives up to the hype.

I can honestly say that my hunt for amps has now finished...on to the speakers next!!!

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Craig

Thanks for such an in-depth review of the TDAi2170. I’m so pleased you are a convert.

There is little dispute that if you want the best sound, some form of room correction is essential. No matter how carefully you design and treat a room, the system will be very inaccurate without measuring and correcting it. There are lots of systems available but the only one I think gives the quality required for use in a good stereo is RoomPerfect.

Many people comment on the brighter sound of TDA amplifiers which highlights their unique Equibit amp technology. Connect a digital source to a TDA and the signal is retained in the digital domain until the D/A conversion required to drive a speaker. This creates a shorter, simpler signal path so less noise and distortion is added to your music. You’ll hear more detail and to my ears, which is why these amps add no character to the source.

I’ve been designing and installing high end audio systems for 35 years and one of the most useful tools I have is a good pair of professional headphones. Any visitors here will hear the dem where they can compare these with a Lyngdorf/MK stereo system. The headphones and speakers sound virtually identical.

Try this with other audio systems, regardless of price and you’ll hear very obvious differences because of the room errors and because the electronics used add their own characteristics to your music. I find great recordings sound cleaner and clearer with a TDA than any other electronics, but they can sound a bit bright with mediocre recordings which is what the Voicings are for.

If you go to a concert, the audio engineer will be adjusting the EQ depending on the music being played, how loud the system is running, how many people there are in the room and even to compensate for temperature variations.

Ideally you need an engineer sat in your lounge to adjust for these things but it’s a bit impractical………at least with TDA’s you can adjust your system as required.

Good luck on your quest for speakers. Lyngdorf have some truly extraordinary stand mount speaker arriving early next year if you can wait that long.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Great review Craig. :thumbsup:

I've been very happy with my 3400 for a while now. It just sounded better than anything else I tried in my room and for me RoomPerfect is perfect. I didn't get along with the other room correction systems I tried.

The headphone test that Rob describes really works, so give it a try if you can. I always use Neutral rather than any of the other voicing as it works well in my system for the recordings I play, but it is nice to have those other voicing at the press of a button.

And to Rob..... I want a pair of those new stand mount speakers and I want them NOW! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

DT79

Paul7777x

I've already posted this on the Lyngdorf discussion thread but thought I'd put this on here as well in case anyone's thinking of buying a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 and have never been on the other thread.

The amp arrived yesterday, early afternoon and immediately I can say I'm very happy indeed. Compared to everything else that I have owned the soundstage is huge and the sq is definitely an improvement on the Arcam SA30 which it's replaced. I used the Node2 to stream from Tidal bypassed directly to the TDAI 2170 and use Roon as the controller.

The first thing to do is to run Room Perfect using the supplied mic and stand. This process is an absolute breeze to complete, much easier than Dirac. Once all measurements have been taken you can choose between Focus (your primary listening place), Global (designed to fill the entire room) or Bypass (self-explanatory). Lyngdorf also provides several "voicings" which are well thought out. Although it must be noted, these are preset and can not be altered.

When listening to music, if anything I found the highs to be a bit sharp but am guessing that will be part the Monitor Audios which are bright anyway, paired with the Lyngdorf which is reproducing my music truer ( is that even a word?) and how the artist intended it to be heard. I have messed around with the voicings but personally, for me I found that I got better results using the DSP in Roon. This is not to say that Lyngdorfs voicings are no good, I just feel that I can pinpoint the exact fq's which I want rather than relying on Lyngdorf.

I found the amp to be extremely articulate and dynamic. I love how dynamic it is but also found that is where the issues lie with the brightness. I listened to that many different songs and genres yesterday that I can't think of an exact example, but imagine a breakdown in the song and the guitarist is playing very lightly accompanied by the singer - all sounds very well. Then the band start to pick things up bar by bar - still all sounds very well and the amp lets you feel every note as the music becomes more intense. You get a real sense of emotion in the music - it really is a pleasure. Each pick of a string, even a deep intake of breath by a singer and the mechanism of drum foot pedals can be heard. Then when the band reaches its crescendo the speakers explode into life with a fantastic amount of articulate, detailed sound, but for my ears just a touch too much brightness. Like I say though, I managed to tone it down with the DSP.

Something else that I liked is how it doesn't seem to matter where I am sat in the living room, there is very little change in the sound. With my past systems, I could move a few inches in any direction and I could tell a difference - I found that quite annoying as I had to place a chair in an exact position to enjoy optimal listening. So using the new amp yesterday was an absolute pleasure and a bit of a revelation for me!

I still need to play with the RP a bit more. The amp only arrived yesterday afternoon so I quickly set it up and started listening to as many different genres as I could and working my way around the settings. I could tell a difference between the 3 RP settings; Global, Focus and Bypass but it wasn't as night and day as maybe I was expecting but to be honest I am not sure what I was expecting. And in all honestly, I was that keen to set everything up and start listening I didn't give my self enough time as the process probably warrants. I also forgot to place the speakers against the front wall as recommended by Lyngdorf. So when the wife and kids are next out I will go through the set-up again and spend much more time. I was very impressed with the set up of RP compared with Dirac - it was such a simple operation.

As I have already mentioned in another post, I wish the volume would go higher than +12db. Don't get me wrong, at that level it is definitely loud, very loud. But occasionally I would like to go higher. With all of the setups I have owned in the past, I can only get the volume to approximately 50% then it is just ridiculously loud. Yesterday I found my self on a few occasions wanting to increase the volume. Anyway, it seems that it is what it is and there's nothing that I can do about that.

Edit: today I've been informed that this can be increased to 24db but as yet I've not had chances to try.

When speaking to the retailer he asked if I need any of the various add ons that can be purchased and it was decided that because I primarily listen to music and don't bother with films that we would not bother including any of them.

For the very small amount of films that we watch it was decided that simply connecting the amp to the tv with an optical cable would be enough for what I need.

So last night we decided to put Transformers on, this is not something that we would ever choose to watch but thought that it would be good for demo purposes.

For a family that claims to have zero interested in films and couldn't care less how they sound we were all blown away. It was actually quite comical.

We turned the sub on to movie setting and cranked the volume on the amp and all 4 of us were sat on the edge of our seats open-mouthed unanimously saying "wow".

Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate that many of you will have far superior movie setups, but for us it was an absolute revelation which we thoroughly enjoyed. The depth of sound and the bass was immense. Being such an articulate and dynamic amp, the fight scenes blew our minds.

So it turns out that we do like films after all - the power of Lyngdorf eh!!

I would also like to mention where I bought it from.
After seeing his name on here, I contacted Richard @Seriously Ltd who I can't recommend enough. I had previously spoken to another company but wasn't filled with confidence as they were not able to offer the advice that I required and I even told them some facts about the Lyngdorf and the Arcam because he didn't know them. Richard has always been at the other end of the phone and clearly has a passion for HiFi which is evident in the conversations that we have had. He also sorted me out a very good deal on the Lyngdord so all in all I am a very happy man and would recommend giving him a call.

The TDAI 2170 has proved to be every bit as good as people say it is and imo it lives up to the hype.

I can honestly say that my hunt for amps has now finished...on to the speakers next!!!

Speakers eh? :rotfl::laugh::rotfl:

Only one way forward to Mega Nirvana then.

Next; back to Richard for one of these;

Only about £9000 all told.

A life of crime is not so bad :thumbsup:

Last edited:

craig808

Speakers eh? :rotfl::laugh::rotfl:

Only one way forward to Mega Nirvana then.

Next; back to Richard for one of these;

Only about £9000 all told.

A life of crime is not so bad :thumbsup:

Don't get me going. My wife will murder me if I keep spending !

Saying that, she's loves the Lyngdorf.

Paul7777x

Don't get me going. My wife will murder me if I keep spending !

Saying that, she's loves the Lyngdorf.

... a question of subtly hinting from time to time... and perhaps new shoes and stuff?

Also you could also tell her they cost a quid :smashin:

DT79

If the Lyngdorfs deliver what they promise you have far lower harmonic distortion, and much more output and extension than those Kudos speakers at a lower price.

This is largely due to the new PuriFi drive units.
I love the way that yesterday you only knew that there were going to be some Lyngdorf stand mount speakers because you’d pestered them so much, and today you’ve drip fed us the nuggets that there will be ‘new PuriFi drive units’ and a hint as to price point... I hope this is good sport for you :laugh:

Steve356

Distinguished Member
I love the way that yesterday you only knew that there were going to be some Lyngdorf stand mount speakers because you’d pestered them so much, and today you’ve drip fed us the nuggets that there will be ‘new PuriFi drive units’ and a hint as to price point... I hope this is good sport for you :laugh:

Rob simply wants to get us all excited. He's just a tease! ;) :laugh:

If these sound even half as good as the LS Concerts Rob currently has on demo at Gecko, I'll be taking a pair of the stand mounts when they are released. After spending 4 hours yesterday listening to the LS Concerts, I can say that I've never heard a better speaker. They are simply superb. I guess they should be at the price. :D

If you get a chance, arrange a demo of the various systems at Gecko. They all sound fantastic and Rob is a great host.

Spooky Electric

Hi Craig

Thanks for such an in-depth review of the TDAi2170. I’m so pleased you are a convert.

There is little dispute that if you want the best sound, some form of room correction is essential. No matter how carefully you design and treat a room, the system will be very inaccurate without measuring and correcting it. There are lots of systems available but the only one I think gives the quality required for use in a good stereo is RoomPerfect.

Many people comment on the brighter sound of TDA amplifiers which highlights their unique Equibit amp technology. Connect a digital source to a TDA and the signal is retained in the digital domain until the D/A conversion required to drive a speaker. This creates a shorter, simpler signal path so less noise and distortion is added to your music. You’ll hear more detail and to my ears, which is why these amps add no character to the source.

I’ve been designing and installing high end audio systems for 35 years and one of the most useful tools I have is a good pair of professional headphones. Any visitors here will hear the dem where they can compare these with a Lyngdorf/MK stereo system. The headphones and speakers sound virtually identical.

Try this with other audio systems, regardless of price and you’ll hear very obvious differences because of the room errors and because the electronics used add their own characteristics to your music. I find great recordings sound cleaner and clearer with a TDA than any other electronics, but they can sound a bit bright with mediocre recordings which is what the Voicings are for.

If you go to a concert, the audio engineer will be adjusting the EQ depending on the music being played, how loud the system is running, how many people there are in the room and even to compensate for temperature variations.

Ideally you need an engineer sat in your lounge to adjust for these things but it’s a bit impractical………at least with TDA’s you can adjust your system as required.

Good luck on your quest for speakers. Lyngdorf have some truly extraordinary stand mount speaker arriving early next year if you can wait that long.
What did you go and tell us that for? 😄

I’m close to settling on a combo of the ELAC Navis ARB 51’s and the Lyngdorf 1120.

Now, I know this will be a great combo either way, but your comment has me wondering if I should bide my time and see what Lyngdorf will be offering in the next few months.

Is your hunch (and I appreciate it would just be a hunch for now) that we can expect these new standmounts to be both active speakers and at a similar price level as the Navis’?

dave48

I have finally found something about the 2170 that is slightly annoying :) - I have the 2170 sitting on the left wall of my listening room, so I sit about 2.5m away from it, but at a relatively acute angle (I guess 60-70 degrees away from perpendicular). However it is quite difficult to get it to respond to the remote - from the listening position it is extremely directional, and I often have to lean forward to try and get the direction just right. As the volume control is in 0.1 db increments that is a lot of pressing if you keep losing the line of sight.

Anyone else experienced this, and is there a simple workaround?

craig808

I have finally found something about the 2170 that is slightly annoying :) - I have the 2170 sitting on the left wall of my listening room, so I sit about 2.5m away from it, but at a relatively acute angle (I guess 60-70 degrees away from perpendicular). However it is quite difficult to get it to respond to the remote - from the listening position it is extremely directional, and I often have to lean forward to try and get the direction just right. As the volume control is in 0.1 db increments that is a lot of pressing if you keep losing the line of sight.

I found if there's a lot of sun shining on the amp then the remote struggled to work...but I just close the curtains, problem solved.

DT79

Point the remote at the right hand wall. The IR signal should reflect off that just fine.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How does your 2170 sound?

TDA amps add less to a digital signal than any other amps on the market so should sound clearer and cleaner. RoomPerfect is the only correction system that preserves the sound of your speakers and delivers the best power response from your speaker system….so if its been set up correctly your speakers should sound far better............

dave48

I still think the 2170 sounds amazing. The difference it makes is VAST. Literally the only annoying thing is using the remote control from an acute angle :). I’m using it with a squeezebox touch connected via a cheapo USB cable, and simple copper (not CCA) speaker wire. All the years spent fiddling with pre-/power amps, XLR vs. RCA, speakers cables, mains cables, DACs even - all trivial compared to the difference the 2170 made. However as I’ve commented before on the forums - the voicings are critical. If it only had the “neutral” setting, I would be describing it as not bad, but a bit harsh at higher volumes.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Dave- Thanks so much for your feedback. I’m so pleased you are loving your TDAi2170.

HiFi purists will be shocked that you’ve found a VAST improvement in sound quality moving from a rack of separates to a one box solution.

The industry relies on selling an entry level amp and then selling additional boxes as an upgrade. It’s going to take a very long time to change this attitude, not because it works, but because it’s so lucrative for everyone involved.

Your TDA will reproduce sound with less noise and distortion than a rack of far more expensive electronics and will give measurably far better sound after RoomPerfect has been run.

Welcome to the club!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon in talks to acquire MGM Studios
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney to close Fox Channel in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display showcases OLED display technology at online SID 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music HD drops subscription charge for lossless audio