Very fast boot from power off

outoftheknow

I have reinvigorated my Acer Aspire X3995 i3 2nd generation, by replacing the failing HDD with a Crucial MX500 SSD and the single 4GB DDR3RAM with two 8GB DDR3. I also loaded defaults in BIOS and now from power button press to Windows is so fast there is no POST beep and no BIOS splash screen. I have he side off and the CPU fan seems to jerk a few times but no beeps at all. Once started a restart from Windows allows a normal start with beep and BIOS screen.

I don’t remember seeing any fast boot setting in BIOS…..

Is that a Windows setting? 20H2 just loaded.

Also the RAM slots are in 2 pairs with black and blue slots. I know (?) 2 sticks should be in the same colour so there is stick, space, stick, space. I believe slot 1 is closest to the CPU- black in this case? So one stick in each black slot?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Yes, match the colours generally, but on Gigabyte boards, i start away from the CPU i think.

And yes, systems boot fast with SSD and modern processors.

outoftheknow

Thanks. I’m not sure who makes the board for Acer. I had heard Gigabyte have an ultrafast setting in BIOS but mine doesn’t have that.

I tried the other slots starting away from the CPU as well and it is exactly the same. I’ll take it as all working well :)

mjn

Distinguished Member
Gigabyte have a Windows BIOS utility IIRC, that might help.

outoftheknow

The Acer MBs definitely aren’t Gigabyte - very limited BIOS….

from cold boot no splash screen offering to enter BIOS or boot order. Warm boot as in restart in Windows gives the screen. The BIOS has a quiet boot option which when disabled displays a B&W text screen about the Acer copyright etc.

It all looks fine and the 9 year old PC is better than new! More than enough at our weekend house for browsing and to print from :thumbsup:

I also retrieved an ancient HP printer from a cupboard and amazingly after a software clean and deep clean of the cartridges it is working ok. Off that goes to the other house this weekend too :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom