Very disappointing picture from DAV-IS10 or is it the TV?

jimmiknicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies for starting a new thread regarding this but can't find an anser that helps me personaly with my set up.

As below I have the following small set up;

LG 37" 37LC2D (1080i)
Xbox 360 connected Component HD cables
Sony DAV-IS10 connected via HDMI

Now my TV picture via freeview and Xbox picture is very good and I'm very happy with it. I especialy chose the Sony DAV-IS10 system for it's upscaling capabilites to 1080i as well as the wife pleasing small speakers. I got this at the weekend and although the sound is fantastic could not be more disapointed with the DVD picture. I may as well start watching VHS video's again it's so grainy to almost the point of not watchable, even the wife noticed it!

Just wondering if anybody has any idea's of how to fix this, whether it be different connections, setttings or using my old stand alone none upscaling DVD player (haven't tried this yet as it's been retired to the attic).
I used to play DVD's via my PC to the screen via VGA and didn't have this problem, do I purchase a HDMI to VGA cable, can't see this making a difference though?

Any help would be appriciated, thank you :)

Have the same Dvd player ,looks great picture wiseon my Sony 40w3000.

I have the same problem. the picture is so disappointing on dvd, and not able to tune the tv to record, and listen to tv through this. I even now bypassed the virgin cable box, and using my freeview, as I could not connect it to the box. the picture quality is so poor. I have a new sharp tv, and asked an engineer to come and check the tv.
I spent good money on hdmi cable to improve the picture, but still poor.
any advice will be appreciated
farhad

Apologies for starting a new thread regarding this but can't find an anser that helps me personaly with my set up.

As below I have the following small set up;

LG 37" 37LC2D (1080i)
Xbox 360 connected Component HD cables
Sony DAV-IS10 connected via HDMI

Now my TV picture via freeview and Xbox picture is very good and I'm very happy with it. I especialy chose the Sony DAV-IS10 system for it's upscaling capabilites to 1080i as well as the wife pleasing small speakers. I got this at the weekend and although the sound is fantastic could not be more disapointed with the DVD picture. I may as well start watching VHS video's again it's so grainy to almost the point of not watchable, even the wife noticed it!

Just wondering if anybody has any idea's of how to fix this, whether it be different connections, setttings or using my old stand alone none upscaling DVD player (haven't tried this yet as it's been retired to the attic).
I used to play DVD's via my PC to the screen via VGA and didn't have this problem, do I purchase a HDMI to VGA cable, can't see this making a difference though?

Any help would be appriciated, thank you :)

Cheers L3g3nd however makes me feel sightly worse as that means it's a setting or my TV just isn't up to it rather than just fiddling round with the DAV-IS10.

I just called LG support and they said to set the DVD player to 720p as opposed to 1080i as the TV isn't "Full HD" and this should fix the problem unfortunately Im not at home but will this really work? I don't want to set myself up for a disapointment again. :confused:

It might work it might not, at the end of the day a marriage between DVD player and display may not always be a harmonious one.

Is your display properly calibrated or do you just use the factory settings?

i have a lg 32" hd and am just about to buy the sony dav is10. maybe i wont now. could it be that as with my lg it is 1080i not 1080p, therefore not full hd and this means that the picture wont upscale properly.

this is an uneducated guess by the way.

if you could let me know how you get on with this that would be appreciated. i was literally going to buy one tomorrow!

[email protected]

thanks and good luck!

Thank you all.

TommyVecetti- I re-set all the usual brightness, contrast, hue, and sharpness settings last night didn't make a huge difference, there isn't much else you can do. Yesterday I ordered "Digital Video Essentials" caliboration DvD should get that tomorrow so will try that as well.

To everyone else thinking of buying the DAV-IS10 system for sound it's fantastic however I can't compare to a separate system as I've never owned one, volume wise it's more than enough for my living room and my living isnt small pretty average at 15'6".

However Laffmeister I'm afraid it's probably going to be our TV that's not up to the job and letting the DVD player down, I will let you know tomorrow morning, apologies I don't have internet at home at the moment.

Thanks all for the replies if you have anything new to add please let me know! :)

Ok good news, I went home last night and changed the setting to 720p much better, not quite the near Hi Def picture I'd been led to beleive but good enough compared to what it was. I watched Kung Fu Hustle last night and was extremly happy and the sound from the DAV-IS10 is amazing.
Have to say it's deffinately the TV that lets my system down I should have spent £100-200 more so I could get the full 1080p and then I think there would not have been any problems.

Thnaks again for all the replies. :thumbsup:

My DAV-IS10 arrived yesterday and I set it up last night... set to 720p on a Panasonic TH37Px70 plasma via HDMI it looks fine (but not noticably better than my old Marantz 4100 via a >£100 scart cable).

However, I do have a question for other DAV-IS10 owners about the sound... although happy with the overall sound quality, the base volume level on mine seems very low - I have to have the volume turned up to c.50 for normal listening. This is the same for DVD and SKY (via optical). Anything below 40 is almost inaudible. Is this the case for other owners?

Cheers Chris, I may buy a better HDMI cable the one I have which is a Fisual Pearl 3m HDMI which cost £15 may be a bit cheap?

I also noticed that issue with the sound although you can't really hear anything under 40 I cant really go above 58 either as I'd deffinately have the neighbours over.

Guys reading this thread it would seems people were trying to run 1080p resolutions on a 1080i screen, which, as you now no is impossible. Now the problem has been sorted out by selecting 720p resolutions (1280 x 720p) but you can also select 1080i (1920 x 1080i) for a more detailed picture on your screen. Although progressive scanning (720p) may be preferable on movies with alot of fast action scenes, and thus avoid LCD 'Trailing'
But personally I stick with 1920 x 1080i on all my movies on my 32" Sammy, and it works fine (larger panels may make the above issue more noticable) and looks noticably better than 720p. :smashin:

However, I do have a question for other DAV-IS10 owners about the sound... although happy with the overall sound quality, the base volume level on mine seems very low - I have to have the volume turned up to c.50 for normal listening. This is the same for DVD and SKY (via optical). Anything below 40 is almost inaudible. Is this the case for other owners?

I also noticed that issue with the sound although you can't really hear anything under 40 I cant really go above 58 either as I'd deffinately have the neighbours over.

Does the IS10 have a 'Dynamic range compressor' or 'D.Range' - My Sony HTSF1200 amp does have this option... It basically compresses the dynamic range of dolby digital soundtracks to allow you "to watch movies at low volumes late at night"
If you do then select 'COMP MAX' :thumbsup:

Yes the Dav is10 does have this option it is in the slide down panel and is just called night mode ,its still quite decent sound just not as full on as when it is off,obviously i suppose glad you got a better pic jimmi im pleased with the dav in general and v wife friendly too boot:).

Guys reading this thread it would seems people were trying to run 1080p resolutions on a 1080i screen, which, as you now no is impossible. Now the problem has been sorted out by selecting 720p resolutions (1280 x 720p) but you can also select 1080i (1920 x 1080i) for a more detailed picture on your screen. Although progressive scanning (720p) may be preferable on movies with alot of fast action scenes, and thus avoid LCD 'Trailing'
But personally I stick with 1920 x 1080i on all my movies on my 32" Sammy, and it works fine (larger panels may make the above issue more noticable) and looks noticably better than 720p. :smashin:

Doubtful, as the IS10 only upscales to 1080i and not 1080p

Does the IS10 have a 'Dynamic range compressor' or 'D.Range' - My Sony HTSF1200 amp does have this option... It basically compresses the dynamic range of dolby digital soundtracks to allow you "to watch movies at low volumes late at night"
If you do then select 'COMP MAX' :thumbsup:

I've trawled through the instruction manual (as for most men, this is something I never normally bother doing) and the limited menus and I can't find anything... it does have a 'night mode' which compressed the dynamic range, but this has to be positively selected off the remote. Perhaps this is just the way it is.

The only problem I have now is I haven't been able to update my Harmony 855 yet, so I'm having to deal with 3 remotes... amazing how quickly you egt used to a universal remote!

Hi guys, dont want to start a new thread so I'm about to buy the Dav-IS10& i am just wondering if the Pic would be good on a Full HD Lcd Sammy? Or do i need to set it @ 1080i and not 1080P when playing Dvds?
I like the size of the speakers cause i dont have a lot of space in my living room. As i read most of u guys are amazed by the sound quality which is a good thing. :thumbsup:
thnx in advance
cheers :smashin:

hearing this at Comet I had to put the volume above 50 as well to listen to it properly....

Am guessing its just the lower output from the tiny speakers.....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom