Very disappointed with Movietyme :-(

scgf

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered an HD-A1 from Movietyme on August 4th. It arrived two weeks later. On their website when I placed the order it was described as being 'in stock'.

My first gripe is that it took so long. Movietyme blamed the recent events at Heathrow for the delay. Others, however seem to be getting their players 'next day'.

My second gripe is that with hours of taking delivery of my player Movietyme were offering 7 free HD-DVDs with the HD-A1. So people who paid the same price as I did get 7 free HD-DVDs. OK, so I missed the offer.

I exchanged several emails with Movietyme in the States about my dissatisfaction with the delivery time, and with the latest offer. I told them I am not a happy customer. I don't expect them to let me have the 7 DVDs, but I would expect *some* token gesture, like fatrich got, who received his player the same day as me. Movietyme offered him a free HD-DVD.

I have quoted messages from this forum, explained that I just want to feel happy about having ordered from them and told them how it is not unusual for retailers to make a token gesture to mollify customers who have only just missed out on an offer - goodness, even Apple do that!

The response has been stunningly unhelpful. No offer, nothing. Their comments have been along the lines of 'what do you expect us to do?' (This is not a quote, BTW), 'we can't help postal delays' etc. etc.. I know they are technically correct, but we are talking about customer relations here.

Quite frankly I am very unhappy with Movietyme - to keep me happy would have cost them around 10 quid. They are not interested in doing that so I am not going to use their services again or recommend them to friends and colleagues.

It's a real shame. They have had good publicity on this forum which is why I ordered from them when I could have got a player cheaper elsewhere. 'Craig will sort you out' is mentioned a fair bit - Craig just ignored my email :-(

I have finished the email conversation by asking them to remove me from thir mailing list. They have just got back to me and tersely confirmed they have done this. They obviously have no interest in keeping me as a customer.

I really don't think this is the place to be complaining that you missed out on an offer 2 weeks after you bought it and yes postal delays happen why should they be compensating you for something outside of there control, surely it would be better to complain to the couriers?, I lost £1500 quid on my plasma but I didn't email Panasonic, its just life, offers happen as do missed delivery times. been caught out many times in both cases.

I can understand your frustration but I have to say that in the 7 years I have been using Movietyme I have found their customer service to be excellent.

I know Craig can be a little slow in replying to queries etc but I guess he is pretty busy - I can only take as I find and (for me) Movietyme are the best DVD import service around and I would thoroughly recommend them.

maybe you should try sending Craig another e-mail??

I am commenting on how I feel about a company I have bought from. I would have appreciated reading such comments from buyers prior to placing my order with them.

Are you saying we should only post positive comments about companies? That would be very one-sided.

Please re-read my post. I am accepting I ordered before the offer was announced. I am not expecting to receive the offer. I am just expressing my feelings. Movietyme have done absolutely nothing to make me feel better. They have done nothing to try and keep me as a customer.

scgf said:
I ordered an HD-A1 from Movietyme on August 4th. It arrived two weeks later. On their website when I placed the order it was described as being 'in stock'.

My first gripe is that it took so long. Movietyme blamed the recent events at Heathrow for the delay. Others, however seem to be getting their players 'next day'.

My second gripe is that with hours of taking delivery of my player Movietyme were offering 7 free HD-DVDs with the HD-A1. So people who paid the same price as I did get 7 free HD-DVDs. OK, so I missed the offer.

I exchanged several emails with Movietyme in the States about my dissatisfaction with the delivery time, and with the latest offer. I told them I am not a happy customer. I don't expect them to let me have the 7 DVDs, but I would expect *some* token gesture, like fatrich got, who received his player the same day as me. Movietyme offered him a free HD-DVD.

I have quoted messages from this forum, explained that I just want to feel happy about having ordered from them and told them how it is not unusual for retailers to make a token gesture to mollify customers who have only just missed out on an offer - goodness, even Apple do that!

The response has been stunningly unhelpful. No offer, nothing. Their comments have been along the lines of 'what do you expect us to do?' (This is not a quote, BTW), 'we can't help postal delays' etc. etc.. I know they are technically correct, but we are talking about customer relations here.

Quite frankly I am very unhappy with Movietyme - to keep me happy would have cost them around 10 quid. They are not interested in doing that so I am not going to use their services again or recommend them to friends and colleagues.

It's a real shame. They have had good publicity on this forum which is why I ordered from them when I could have got a player cheaper elsewhere. 'Craig will sort you out' is mentioned a fair bit - Craig just ignored my email :-(

I have finished the email conversation by asking them to remove me from thir mailing list. They have just got back to me and tersely confirmed they have done this. They obviously have no interest in keeping me as a customer.

thats life!

I think the reason you haven't read such comments from other buyers before you bought your deck was becuase nobody had experienced the same thing. You're rightly said that lots of people have recommended them, and I would say that's more indicative of the standard of their service than your experience.

I know this doesn't make you feel and better, but this is more than likely not their fault. If they paid up a tenner everytime a postie didn't ship a package in double quick time it would cost them a fortune. If you'd paid extra for guaranteed delivery then you'd have something to use as leverage, and they could reclaim the costs of whatever they chose to compensate you with from the postal company, as this obviously didn't happen I would just put it down to bad luck.

scgf said:
I am commenting on how I feel about a company I have bought from. I would have appreciated reading such comments from buyers prior to placing my order with them.

Are you saying we should only post positive comments about companies? That would be very one-sided.

Please re-read my post. I am accepting I ordered before the offer was announced. I am not expecting to receive the offer. I am just expressing my feelings. Movietyme have done absolutely nothing to make me feel better. They have done nothing to try and keep me as a customer.

As I said maybe you should try getting a response from Craig himself as I have always found him very keen to keep his customers happy!

Both your gripes seem to be very unreasonable.

Firstly you complain about the 7 HD-DVD offer, which you state that it was put on the website within hours of you receiving your player, but you waited 2 weeks to receive it anyway. So it's not like you only just missed out. These things happen, you buy something and a few days later it is either reduced or other offers come with it. As far as Movietyme are concerned, I can't see that they have done anything wrong. You have tried to get something free off them which you are not entitled to. Live with it.

Secondly you then complain about the time it took them to deliver your player. During those two weeks there were major delays on freight coming to and from America as I am sure you are aware of the reasons why. Those other people that were getting it 'next day' were just lucky I guess.

scgf said:

So because the guy wouldn't cave in an give you the compensation you wanted you publicly have a go at him, I have to say I think its pretty wrong you bring it up here. This forum is about HD DVD/BLu Ray not retailer reviews.

Blame the couriers for the delay and blame luck that you missed out on the offer, neither of these things are Movietymes faults!!

Very happy MT customer here - but this is the Blu-Ray HD forums and not a supplier feedback forum

DuncanWardle said:
Very happy MT customer here - but this is the Blu-Ray HD forums and not a supplier feedback forum

Ditto :thumbsup:

I don't really rate Movietyme very highly, in fact I've been in a similar position before where I have been unhappy with them and got the "tough luck" reply myself even when presenting a couple of options to make me happy that would have cost them nothing.

I now only use them when they are the only choice for something, I get the feeling that they think they are pretty much untouchable due to the good publicity they get here (and the way mods quickly come down on bad publicity) and the fact they can duck lots of issues due to them not being a UK retailer.

I think what really makes this bad for the OP, is the realisation of just how much money MT must have made from his purchase if the next week they can do it with 7 'FREE' HD-DVDs...

scgf said:

Your comments are worthwhile - but feel they should be posted in one of the suppliers forums (I guess also the same should be said regards the "bargain" posts)

Absolutely. But if you ran a business would you be eager to keep customers by making a token gesture in cases like this? I know of several local businesses who value customer satisfaction and would do so. Disguntled customers are not an asset to any company.

I was hoping Craig would notice the thread title and chip in, but I will contact him again if not.

It seems you have been treated fairly, personally I have found MT good.

shaithis said:
I don't really rate Movietyme very highly, in fact I've been in a similar position before where I have been unhappy with them and got the "tough luck" reply myself even when presenting a couple of options to make me happy that would have cost them nothing.

I now only use them when they are the only choice for something, I get the feeling that they think they are pretty much untouchable due to the good publicity they get here (and the way mods quickly come down on bad publicity) and the fact they can duck lots of issues due to them not being a UK retailer.

There are always going to be unhappy customers no matter who the company is and I think that there is overwhelming good publicity for them because they are a very good company to deal with - I am sure there have been times when a customer has received bad service but that is far outweighed by the good service alot of us here on this forum receive week in week out.

Thanks, shaithis. At least I'm not the only one.

Why do British forum contributers always seem to support the big guy? I frequent a great many forums and it is almost universal that if anyone makes negative comments about any company there is a backlash of support for the company, whether it be MS, Apple, Dell, a bank, whoever.

Strangely, in the 'real world' things are different - people will usually support the little guy rather than the big company. Maybe there is more empathy when dealing with real as opposed to virtual individuals.

Does this say something about users of forums?

I believe strongly that I have right on my side. Not legally, but morally. If I had an upset customer I would try and help, not say 'tough'. Would you lot take that attitude with your customers? I sell stuff on Ebay and I would be most put out if a buyer were unhappy with their purchase.

Maybe it's because I care . . .

scgf said:
Yeah, whatever.

Why do British forum contributers always seem to support the big guy? I frequent a great many forums and it is almost universal that if anyone makes negative comments about any company there is a backlash of support for the company, whether it be MS, Apple, Dell, a bank, whoever.

Strangely, in the 'real world' things are different - people will usually support the little guy rather than the big company. Maybe there is more empathy when dealing with real as opposed to virtual individuals.

I believe strongly that I have right on my side. Not legally, but morally. If I had an upset customer I would try and help, not say 'tough'. Would you lot take that attitude with your customers? I sell stuff on Ebay and I would be most put out if a buyer were unhappy with their purchase.

so, what do you want ? how could they help ?

scgf said:
Thanks, shaithis. At least I'm not the only one.

OK now you have finished your little rant do you feel better?

The point I was trying to make to you was that normally (well certainly in my case) Movietyme DO CARE and they would try and help the customer out - I have always found them to polite (friendly even) and helpful - did you approach them with an attitude or where you pleasent?

scgf said:
Absolutely. But if you ran a business would you be eager to keep customers by making a token gesture in cases like this? I know of several local businesses who value customer satisfaction and would do so. Disguntled customers are not an asset to any company.

I was hoping Craig would notice the thread title and chip in, but I will contact him again if not.
I have not dealt with Movietype so don't know what sort of service thay claim to offer.

In my book, there are 4 type of retailer.

1. One where you pay full whack and expect to get good service and get it
2. One where you pay full whack and expect to get good service but don't get it
3. One where you pay discounted price and unexpectidly get good service
4. One where you pay discounted price and don't get good service

What one is movietyme?

If its #1 or #2 then you probably would expect it to be a #1. But sh!t happens, its no fault of their own. A decent company may offer compensation but its not their duty to. But you may have a better moral standing if they guaranteed delivery to the UK within a certain period of time. Alternatively try getting the couriers to stump up something if it was guaranteed delivery time. Otherwise it poor timing.

If its #3 or #4, then you can hardly expect service like #1.

PS. Why mention the free discs offer? I don't see the relevance of this to an order placed outside the free offer period.

PPS. When did craig@movietyme last post (never?). Maybe he is on holiday?

OK guys, I can see that I won't be getting your moral support. It's a two-way process, you know ;-)

All I have said is that I am unhappy. I don't feel I have 'an attitude' or am having 'a rant'. What I am most unhappy about is Movietyme's attitude.

If you want to see how I have helped people on the net for years, please do a search on my username. I do get indignant when I feel an injustice has been done to anyone.

What I thought they might do is offer me one free HD-DVD. I would have been more than happy with that. They already did that with fatrich. It is what I would call a token gesture.

Those forum members who haven't responded, please don't let this put you off posting negative experiences with HD-DVD retailers - I certainly want to take all opinions into account before I place an order. If I know a company couldn't care less - even with just one customer -they wouldn't get my custom. That one customer could easily be me in a different scenario. I am bothered now that maybe these sort of feelings aren't aired because the poster is shot down in flames for ranting and having an attitude!

Very pleased with MovieTymes service and certainly seem to be one of the better on line retailers :thumbsup:

Personally I've never had an issue with Movietyme. One of my friends refuses to use them again because they werent happy with MT's service.

Surely if you was unhappy with the wait for the player (due to whatever reasons) why didnt you cancel it and order it from somewhere else?

Alternatively, if Movietyme hadnt started giving away 7 free HD-DVDs would you still be looking for a free HD-DVD because of the delay in receiving the item?

I can understand you have the nark because a better offer became available after you received your goods and that someone else did get a free HD-DVD, but maybe their circumstances were different.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom