1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very dark image with new Viera

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elliot_01, Dec 1, 2004.

1. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang,

Have a two week old Viera... and a question regarding its display.

The problem is with dark shades of colour. Let's take a character facing you, with the sun directly behind them, or, say, most shots of Achilles (Troy) as he wears a lot of black.

The characters are so dark, you have to increase the brightness/contrast by seemingly huge amounts to see any detail. But then, lighter colours (red, blues, yellows, greens etc), especially under strong lighting or sunlight are exremely bright!

So I have either undistinguishable areas of the picture, where darker shades are depicted, or eye-blisteringly bright lighter colours.

I have played with the brightness, contrast, and all other picture controls accessible from the standard menu, but I cannot acquire a good compromise.

I am using Normal mode, as opposed to Dynamic. But, to be honest, Dynamic probably gives a better, more true balance (but not by much).

Starting to bug me now!

Anyone else had similar issues with Pannys? Or Vieras in particular?

As this is my first plasma, is it just a trait of the technology?

Would the service menu offer a solution?

I am aware of having plasmas calibrated professionally, but to me, the colour/brightness balance is seriously flawed. I would have expected it much better than this, long before considering a fine tuning by calibration.

Would very much appreciate any feedback! :thumbsup:

2. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the problem with all sources? If so, how are you connected up?
    My viera never had the problems you describe .

3. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HappyH,

Yes, the issue seems to be with all sources, analogue, DVB and DVD (via s-video to Scart[2]).

I really don't know what to make of it. It doesn't seem to the extent of being faulty at all, but it is bloody annoying!

(sorry for delay in post - work is hectic lately :eek: )

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Search for Viera and look at the settings people used.

Use a disk you can buy to calibrate your screen as best you can.

Koing

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good advice there.
    I had mine calibrated although I felt it was quite lifelike beforehand anyway. It never occured that it was too dark.
    The guy who calibrated it left Normal set as:
    Cont 90%, Bri 50%, Col 55%,Sha 20% (% guessed based on Bar position with 100% being RHS)
    Hope this helps.

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    this seems to be a strange problem.
    Like has already been suggested, try and get hold of the Digital Video essentilas dvd. This will help you set brigtness, contrast ect and talk you through it. If you cant get hold of this, the THX optimiser on any of the starwars dvds will also be of some help.
    if you cant do any of this, and the screen is only a few weeks old, it may be worth getting some one out under warranty to have a look at it.
    I own a 37" Viera which does not have this problem, and neither does happy hs one so it could be a faulty screen :mad:

7. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies again :thumbsup:

As mentioned previously, I would find it hard to announce it as a 'fault'. it just seems 'the way it is'.

It's almost as though the screen is only limited to a certain amount of colours/shades at one time. If there is a requirement for bright colours/shades, this takes priority, leaving any darker shading as simply 'black'. It's not quite so harsh as my explanation might lead you to believe, but that's the best way I can think to describe it right now.

I have considered getting a DVE disc, from somewhere like Play.com. I'm interested to learn though, to set up my screen for NTSC as well as PAL, would I need to source a DVE disc from the States as well? :confused:

I have Star Wars DVDs, so will have a look at the THX optimiser and report my findings. :lesson:

Cheers all!

8. THE BOARS

THE BOARS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I also had this problem darks do seem too dark at times even in a smaller extent on dvd but thru time you will get used to it but for setup as stated before 90% con is too much should be 70% at most

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with the 'too dark' issue. This is a problem I experience mainly through DVD (AV4). First noticed in Sopranos S3, but have since noticed it in Man on Fire, and a few others. Objects with back-lihgting are a real problem. In Man on Fire at 58mins 42 secs on my Philips TV Christopher Walken's features are clearly distinguishable. On my Viera his face is close to silhouette. I have tried 0-100% on both brightness and contrast, but I can't get anywhere close to my Philips TV picture.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
    This is interesting, Ihave a pw6 and don't have this problem at all when set up, but out the box it is a little like this.

Do you have cinema mode as well as normal and dynamic? if yes try that.
    I have settings for cintrast, brightness colour etc. on a scale of -20 to +20, my colour when set up with a disc and filters is on -2, contrast is on -7, brightness is -5 and tint is at 0.

None of them go past the 0 mark and 90% would be boosting the white level far too high and I am not surprised you can't see any detail in darker areas at this level.
    Run the THX disc and get the contrast and brightness as good as you can with that, it is handy to have a set up dvd though.

One of the best screenshots I have seen was on the avsforum a while back, everyone agreed it looked awesome, I know screenshots can't tell you much but it did look good, very natural colours, he had set the panel up by using a decent video camera pointing outside and adjusted the levels until what he saw on screen matched what he was seeing out the window. A camera you know is calibrated correctly is needed for this though, but a good idea.

11. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i too have the viera,but have not had any problems like this .

my contrast is approx 30
    britgness is approx 30