1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very confused!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rb10, Mar 4, 2005.

1. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right after a good 4-5 months trying to decipher which setup to go for, I've actually BOUGHT:

-505XDE
    -Anthony Gallo Nucleus X5 + 1 AG Due +MPS150 Sub although considering swapping it for a velodyne SPLII
    -Marantz RC5400 Remote Control

and in the next few days will get:

Pio Ax5ai
    Panasonic S97 DVD player
    Panasonic E95 DVDR/HDD

now I know this topic has been covered an infinite number of times but for some reason even though Ive gone through many threads + websites like AVsales FAQ + the Js-technology page, I'm still VERY confused about how Im going to connect the above inorder to get the best out of it all.

can I just say Ive got a sky digibox + another receiver (scart) + a vcr to connect to all this. and I dont have a clue where to start apart from the obvious HDMI connection to the plasma.

also could someone point me in the direction of where to get the best cables for the job (by that I dont mean they have to be stupidly EXPENSIVE - although half the time it does seem the case). I remember for HornyDargons Mega plasma thread that the starlight HDMI cables were particularly good.

THANKS in ADVANCE :thumbsup:

2. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you are cluless a professional can help............... or have a search by your model numbers and see what other people say and use
    see: www.homecinemaengineering.com

4. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping to get the info from you wonderful experts on here so I wouldnt have to pay a professional to do the work. I've been to Piers's site and intend to have him or another ISF calibrator come round after the 200-300 run in. but for now I need to find out how Im going to connect all these toys.

cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Starlight HDMI are good because they do super stupid lengths like 20m HDMI!!!! bettercables cables should be fine..any way what do you need to connect to the screen? Amp and speaker set-up should be easy enough....
    for starter S97 to HMDI on Media Box
    and E85 output via component/RGB scart (which ever looks better to you.) to media box (dont at this stage need to use amps video switching unlesss you need add loads of other bits of Kit...

6. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only need about 2m so I'll forget about starlight & co.

in terms of other kit, well Ive got 2 satellite receivers (1 sky box and another) + a vcr and PS2 to connect as well!!! so many boxes! also what component or RGB scart would you recommend.

many thanks

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    have search for mark grant on the forums he makes high qulaity cables to order

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NOT HDMI/DVi he doesnt but i think he can supply them (Bettercables stuff)
    As for stuff can connect PS2 to AMP (component) VCR Composite and suggest Sat(RGB)>Sky(RGB)>E85> AMP (component) May have audio delays with this tho.

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    nope but he'll do a mean belden component

10. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD, so is that E95 to media box via component/rgb or e95 to AMP? which one? considering the rest of the gear will be connected to the amp as you've said.

really appreciate this by the way

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    E95 to AMP then AMP>media box (is there 2 component on media box?) depends what you want to record onto the E95 to an extent)

12. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no just a single component input. seem very ignorant i know, but why does it matter what Im going to record?? (its going to be films/sport from normal tv & sky)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cause if Sky isnt connect to E95 you cant record it!
    If you have Sky+ for recording sky and E95 is for recording other Sat and analogue the connectivity will be different.................unfortunately best PQ and best connectivity are rarely the same connection structure...

14. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunately dont have & cant get (due to building reasons) Sky+. Ideally (not sure if possible) I'd like the E95 to record from TV, Sky and other Satellite. if not possible then I'd rather the E95 record from Sky than the other Sat.

cheers

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    in that caseyou need to prioitise X-Sat>Sky>E95>AMp>plasma will allow you to record X-sat or Sky but while recoding you cant watch either sat box (will this be an issue for you?) can use Tuner in media box FV or i think analogue tuner in E95......while recording sat..

PS dont ask me for help with the marantz i hate em...

16. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D wont ask about the marantz I PROMISE!!! but can I ask WHY you hate them??

ok so by connecting X-sat to sky (rgb)-sky to e95 (rgb)-e95 to amp (component) and amp to plasma (component) I can record from both but NOT at the same time??? (pleaaaase tell me Im right!!)

BUT, would I still be able to watch say Sky and record from Sat (or vice versa) or watch tv and record from either Sky or Sat X???

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    they are overpriced a pain to program and not very user friendly IMHO......I just dont get on with the user interface (programming wise) i am sure others will help you tho.

you can record X-sat or sky (other will need to be in standby) while using media box tuner for TV
    you can watch sky/X-sat (i am 90% sure) while recording fron analogue tuner in E95 or digital tuner in media box (75% sure about this)

or record whatever while you watch a DVD.

18. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so the Prontos are better? (Im thinking of swapping)

Damn, I never imagined it would be so complex. Right, that buggers the situation a bit, as not being able to watch sky or Sat-x whilst the other is recording is not what I want to put up with. 2 things I'd like to mention here:

1) the way my flat is connected, my Sat-X is sort of rewired/connected directly to the outside aerial cable so in effect my SAT-X is shown or picked up as another terrestial channel on TV so SAT-X is not even directly linked to the TV in anyway (i.e. when a TV is connected to the aerial and then tuned it comes up as channel 6) would this or does this effect or help the situation at all? (my Sky when its installed in a few days will be the same i think). and also how much will quality improve if they were directly connected do you think?

2) if I connect the VCR in a way (you'd have to help me on this PLEASE) so that it records from TV and also SAT-X but not Sky, and so leaving the E95 to record from TV and Sky only would that work?

:lesson:

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK so sat-X is an STB in your flat or just added to your1-5 analogue? if the latter then Sky>E95>amp>media box
    media box will tune X-sat internally as will E95 aand VCR (simplifies it a whole lot) are you in the UK? and what is the X-sat channel?

20. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup Im in London HD.
    SAT-X is a set top box (connected to a Hotbird Satellite) its connected to the aerial coming to the flat (i.e I think like you say its been added as another channel to the existing 1-5). then the aerial is split going to all rooms, so we can watch tv in all of them including the Sat-X without the use of a separate STB - although obviously we can only watch the same channel in all rooms.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ok i that case as i said above all the analogue tuners you own will display/record that channel, quality will be crap tho...

22. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok to improve at least the sky recording can I carry out the second option I mentioned above. so connect the E95 and Sky via RGB and Sky to TV via RGB, then VCR connect it to TV & SAT-X via RGB as well. so I'll record TV & SAT-X on VCR and TV & Sky on E95?

with things setup like this, would I be able to watch Sky and record Sat-X and vice versa?

23. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VCR is composite only, so Sky>E95 (either component to amp or RGB to media box) and VCR> amp (composite from scart) or VCR>media box scart

24. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry my mistake, its all getting to my head.

finally getting somewhere. just that considering im going to PLAY DVD's on the panny S97 via HDMi to the palsma media box, and only record from the E95 and VCR is there any point in connecting them up to the AMP?? I can see why you may want to keep it all component Sky>E95>Amp>Plasma but will the quality be alot crapper if it was Sky (component)>E95 (RGB) >Plasma.

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sky can't output component............. (if you want to play the recording back with sound from gallos then yes... and can make userfriendlyness better other wise you have to change TV and AMp inputs... up to you and easily swapped around...

26. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I promise I wont bother you much longer.

as we speak Im drawing diagrams of how everything is connected. just 1 more thing. if I connect the VCR to AMP then AMP to plasma. would I have the difficulty of recording/watching Sky & SAT-X simultaneously or not?

would the VCR connected like this:

via composite to scart (output) connected AMP for playback
    Input scart TV
    Input scart SAT-X

cheers mate, you've been a life saver :thumbsup:

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I thought X-sat was in a cupboard and full distbute? do you access to the scarts on X-sat near the screen?

28. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its in a cupboard and nowhere near the screen. Sky will be installed this week (the cables in the cupboard as well) but Im going to ask the installers to cable it through to the room where all the other stuff will be.

I understand what you were getting at now, in effect I shouldnt have any probs recording from SAT-X whilst watching tv/sky. and if I leave sky in the cupboard then I wont have a problem recording/watching the two (SAT-X and Sky) either as both will be just like the 1-5 channels (I'll end up with 7 channels) but the PQ will be crappy. If I move the SKy to my AV room and connect it direct via RGB to E95 then PQ should be better.

Am I correct?

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yes get sky in AV room and leave X-Sat where it is......I am intruiged as to the why the X-sat box is in the cupbaord in the first place........

30. rb10

rb10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well they story is that I live in a block of flats with communal Sky satellite and my own Hotbird Sat which I at great expense I might add had to wire down quite a few floors. right now theres a little cupboard in the kitchen where the 2 digital satellite wires come through (1 for Sky & the other for the Hotbird Sat.). now that were on the subject by the way, I was told by an independent Sky installer that I need 2 of these cables coming down for Sky+ and because Ive used one for the Sat-X, I cant get Sky+ - is that true?

so anyway, what the guy who installed the SAT-X done was as we wanted to watch SAT-X in all rooms as well, he wired it up to the outdoor aerial cable so that we got 1-5 + Sat-x as channel 6 in all rooms. now he's going to come round again this week, so based on you help, Im going to tell him to cable the sky to the AV-room so I can connect it directly to the E95. Now, what I was thinking was that, wether the 10-12 metres of cabling reaching the AV-room would hinder the quality by quite a bit (enough to say just leaving it in the cupboard along with the other STB).