Very confused - speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rian1988, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hello, I am purchasing a Onkyo 674 and the canton movie cd 101.

I need to get speaker cable I will probaly need 50m of it I think maybe only 40m. My budget is <£50 and I have no idea about the whole speaker cable ness.

What are banana plugs for? Why are they used? Are they needed?

So can someone answer my questions and recommend me some cable, link please :smashin:

Thanks

Jonny

2. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995

B plugs are wot u use to terminate the ends of the speaker wire with.
    it makes it easier to connect the speaker wire to the amp... and speakers if they fit..

bit like a rca plug.. u plug into the back of a amp..... without it . u would have to twist the wire and put it throu the post and tighten up the thumb screw. takes longer to disconnect and connect...
    with banana plugs u just plug it in or unplug it.

lot of ppl use them and a lot's dont.......

can get cheap ones..... or dear ones....

as to the cable....... many ranges from cheap stuff to &#163;&#163;&#163;&#163; per metre...

maplin do the Banana plugs and a range of cables..... depends really wot u want.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Banana plugs are usually not needed, they are mostly for convenience when you need to connect/disconnect the cables often.
    Most speaker terminals should be able to accept bare wires (the strands from the cable).

IMO normal 2.5mm2 speaker cable that you can get cheap at any handy / DIY mart will do, no need for any branded products.

4. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Banana plugs:

Offer convenience and time-saving when connecting and disconnecting the cable - not to be underestimated when you are on your knees fiddling blindly behind a speaker to thread a wire in, then realising you have 19 more to go...

Can indicate polarity (positive/negative with red/black) in cables which lack this either at all or not fully along their length - a surprisingly large amount do this, especially some branded ones.

If soldered to the speaker cable, avoids oxidation of the bare cable end over time and constant snipping and shortening over the years.

If you're not bothered about these factors, then bare wire is fine. Something like this cable reel http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr4863.html will be OK - only needed because you are planning on such long runs, the cable becoming important, otherwise any old bell wire would do for those Cantons. The extra cable will also serve you well in the future.

5. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thank you everyone for all your replies, much apreciated!

I don't think I will bother with banana plugs.

But I'm a bit confused with this mm, how many mm should I be looking at? Reiner reccomended 2.5mm, but the cable dingwall linked me to was 2 x 128/0.2mm?? What on earth is that!!

Thanks,

Jonny

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    Hello jstw

As others have said Banana plugs are not to be underestimated - especially so at the Amplifier end of the cables where you have so many sockets densely packed it can be a fiddle when your using bare wire.

Most loudspeaker cable is multi strand - you can categorise it by stating the overall diameter of the 'bundles' of copper used (2x2.5mm) or by the number of strands in each bundle (2x128).

Your Movie CD101 is a relatively small chassis - depending on where you want the cable to go you may find a 2x1.5mm cable is a better match.

VanDamme Blues Series is a good choice and available in 2x2.5mm (£2.17/m) and 2x1.5mm (£1.43/m)- though if your having to surface mount it you may not want a 'blue' cable.

Best regards

Joe

7. Rian1988

Rian1988

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hmm i think those will be a bit pricey for 50m, I need 50m for <&#163;50! Sorry for the low budget but that's the highest I can go.

8. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Jstw,

Joe is wrong about the speaker cable specs.

There are three typical specs:

1. CSA (cross-sectional area) in mm2. This is sometimes given as AWG (american wire gauge). Eg My link was for 4.00mm2, Reiner said 2.5mm2 would be adequate, Joe suggests 2.5mm2 or 1.5mm2.
    2. Number of strands making up that CSA.
    3. The diameter of each individual strand.

A bit of pi-r-squared with the specs and it will add up and make sense nicely.

2.5mm2 versions of my link are here http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2690.html

1.32mm2 here http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2689.html

If I read Joe correctly, he is saying the 2.5mm2 won't even fit properly into the tiny speaker terminals of the Cantons.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,479
    Hello dingwall

The Cantons have binding posts that will take a 4mm plug or bare wire.

I find most folk who install small satellites would find anything thicker than a 2x2.5m cable is too 'thick' - especially so if they are surface mounting the cable.

Best regards

Joe

10. dingwall

dingwall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ah, right, I see - sorry wasn't clear to me what you meant.

My links also give the actual cable dimensions so you can easily decide what size is acceptable.

Ixos XHS403 is a 4.2mm2 cable that is flat, white, PC-OFC and with clear polarity markings. At £2.69 a metre its out of this guys budget. Nearly the perfect speaker cable though...