Very confused by PS3 optical audio connections... help!!!

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by MOz10R, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MOz10R

MOz10R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got myself a PS3 yesterday. Noticed there have been oodles of posts about this but no explanation of settings in layman's terms.

Run an old Sony amp (DTS compatible but too old for HDMI connectivity).

In short PS3 to TV using HDMI. PS3 to amp by optical cable only.

When playing games (demos and Motorstorm) I have the telltale "blue light" telling me the audio is in 5.1, 5 channels including left and right surround.

Tried a Blu Ray disc and despite playing with the settings the best I could get soundwise was Pro Logic only, not 5.1....... therefore a disappointing single channel for surround..... and no funky blue light glow.

Can anyone categorically tell me what settings I should have the PS3 set too to get proper 5.1 surround sound. Including bitstream etc etc??? I'm a bit of a technophobe but very disappointed that the PS3 can't seem to cope with this. My 360 could with HD DVDs......

Help????

MOz:suicide:

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Have you enabled bitstream in the blu-ray/DVD audio settings ?

3. MOz10R

MOz10R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Pretty sure I did, however will check at home tonight......

Any other suggestions to take home and mull over???

MOz

4. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    My set-up is exactly the same.

Only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you haven't selected the PCM 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray as this will only come out in Pro-Logic though the Amp.

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Yep - many BluRay releases have a PCM 5.1 soundtrack (i.e. uncompressed multi-channel) but this is not output via the optical output as 5.1, only via HDMI. When you play these soundtracks via optical, it only outputs PCM 2.0 downmixed from 5.1, which your receiver will ProLogic decode to 5.1. This is because the standard 1.5Mbs SPDIF bit rate maximum as implemented on most amps - can only carry a stereo PCM signal (2 x 48kHz 16 bit)

Many discs also include a Dolby Digital or DTS compatible sound track (often as a core audio track with enhanced DTS or Dolby Digital encoding to improve the sound quality still further for HDMI users), which CAN output a standard DD or DTS 5.1 audio stream via optical - you should select this (ensuring that your optical output is configured for bitstream output) - it may not be the default (as for HDMI amp users the PCM 5.1 soundtrack may be higher quality)