Very close to buying Sammy PS42Q7HD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Loobster, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Well then. As some of you may know I have been on the forum quite a bit recently, and have recently started this thread about SD material on panels. I am very concerned about SD picture quality, as although I have SkyHD, 75% of my viewing will be SD material. Virtually all the decent brand HD panels have excellent HD pictures, so it's the SD performance that's going to sway my purchasing decision.

I went to my local TV shop yesterday and checked out the PS42Q7HD, and although I can't say I was blown away by the freeview picture, it is more than acceptable and easily the best SD picture I've seen on a HD panel of any kind. It's something I feel I could easily live with, especially as I don't even have an aeriel and all of my broadcast TV will be viewed through the Sky box, which presumably is a little bit better than freeview for most channels.

I know that there will be some PX60 owners that will say that the SD picture on their sets is better, and it may be so, but according to my eyes that's not the case, and in any case I think the PX60 is a butt-ugly set and the Samsung looks much more stylish. Plus a guaranteed absence of purple snakes! :)

I can get this set for about £870 delivered, or if I want finance about £1039 over 3 years (I think £160 extra to pay over 3 years is quite acceptable).

Questions:

1) Do you think it's worth hanging on 4 to 6 weeks to see what Panasonic bring out in their new range? Even if their stuff is similar to the current range, it may drive prices down a bit more for panels in general?

2) The only downside I can see with the Sammy is that is only has 1 x HDMI. Obviously that has to be used by SkyHD. So if I want an upscaling DVD player connected as well, I will have to use component. Component supports 720p, right? I need another player for downstairs anyway as I need to pick up one that plays my MPEG4 downloads - so seems like a good opportunity to pick up an upscaling player.

Any thoughts?

2. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Wouldn't reccomend buying on finance personally, maybe try a 0% credit card :)

I think the Panasonics will be out in more than 4-6 weeks.

3. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I don't know of a credit card with 0% for purchases, only balance transfers.

I thought Panasinic always brought out their new range in January (or that's what seems to be mentioned a lot on the forum)?

4. TimGTi

TimGTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Buy on your current credit card and apply for a new one to balance transfer it to. Theres a few that do 0% for 12 months aswell as 3 months interest free on new purchases. Try Capital one.

5. TimGTi

TimGTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    By the way, Empire direct are doing it at £879 delivered and you can take that over 12 months interest free!

6. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have the sammy ps42q7, and too thought it was the best display for sd. The builtin freeview is excellent, and does in my opinion often give a better picture than sky.
    The component input does indeed take 720p and 1080i, I have just purchased the sammy dvd-hd-950 and done the hdcp hack to enable the upscale via component. In my opinion the component picture looks much better than the hdmi input for this player anyway, its hdmi output isnt great.

I paid 849 for mine from apollo 2000, depends where you live though as I think there are mainly in the southwest region.
    This was a price match for dixons online.

And I know exactly where you are coming from about the look of the panny.:rotfl:

7. TimGTi

TimGTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi, where can i find this hack? I assume it will work for my Sammy HD860 DVD too?!?

8. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  9. TimGTi

TimGTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Will this enable me to upscale via component or just give me a region free player? Thanks, Tim.:lease:

10. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The one for the 950 makes it region free and upscales via component, and I believe via scart to, not that I have tried that.
    The output via component will upscale to 720p and 1080i, and in my opinion looks a great deal better than the hdmi output.

11. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The new (all black finish) 42P7H model has two HDMI slots, 9-in-2 multi-memory card slot / USB / PictBridge and is available for less then 1600 euro at intenetshops over here in Holland.
    Brilliant picture, I have my eyes on this one....

12. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That one doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the PS42Q7HD and the PS42E7HD?

13. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  14. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nice, I would like 2 x HDMIs, but that's almost £1100, which is £250 more than the Q7HD. Maybe when the P7HD gets released the price of the Q7HD will go down! Which would be nice.

15. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to recent history prices of plasma's are dropping each month :D

16. iwantabigscreen

iwantabigscreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're confusing me! On another thread you said that you don't expect Plasmas to drop in price by the same rate this year as they did least year!

Also, there's a thread that had been started stating problems with dark scenes on the PS50Q7hHD, anyone know if the PS42Q7 suffers this issue as well? Surely these TVs are the same but for the screen size??

17. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I really think prices will decrease in the future but not as dramatically as in the last twelve months... :)
    PQ of the Samsung '7' series needs some tweaking like most plasma's, e.g. getting rid of electronic image enhancing etc.
    The starter of that 50Q7H thread is getting a better picture after some tweaking too now.

18. Steve5

Steve5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds have the P7. I waited for ages for this Panel to become available, got one home and despite all the tweaking I could not get any SD pictures of a watchable quality either through sky SD or Freeview. All of the graphics seemed sharp but where I really noticed the poor picture quality were faces, they just seemed all fuzzy.

I know it has lots of toys card reader etc but @ £1400 in my view this is far too much for what is really a Q7 £850 panel with another HDM1 card reader and swivel stand and a few tweaks. I was so disappointed I sent it back. I spent months searching and really thought the P7 would be the one.

I have looked at lots of Lcd and plasma panels but now for a bit extra over the P7 I now have a Pioneer 427xd and it is without a doubt the best panel available at the price by far, and PQ is stunning. I know some people have been happy with their Q7s but there’s no way I could have lived with the Sammy. Get the Pio you wont regret it!

19. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you disable DNIe and the Smooth Motion driver and adjust the screen with the DVE disc?
    I could not see these problems on a well adjusted screen.

With that price it's close to the Pio indeed, here in Holland the 42P7H is only 1500 euro's....
    Everything has it's price, the Pio is a bit better in many ways, only the blacklevels are a bit weaker.
    The Pio 427XD is 700 euro's more over here in online shops...

20. Steve5

Steve5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I see it I should not have to go into the service menu to make adjustments to get a watchable picture! The manufacturers do not supply that TV with instructions on how to access the service menu as they obviously intend it to work as shipped. Why would I want to do that when the problem really lies with the video processing. The blacks look good to me on the Pioneer certainly more acceptable than out of focus faces and then having to faff around in the service menu to make it work - what nonsense, after which, you will give all and sundry every excuse not to hounour any warranty as they find out you have been in the service menu! Lets face it at the moment its a minefield you just have to get the panel thats right for you at the best price and enjoy, after all this time next year it will all be very different!

21. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    i saw a Samsung PS42P7HDX today in richer sounds, looked really sharp with good colours has 2 hdmi as well.

however i don't think its the same a PS42Q7HD

22. Steve5

Steve5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer sounds in Brighton at least only show HD feeds, see it on SD its not worth the money.

23. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I get a DVE disc from?

24. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Google' maar even op 'digital video essentials'

25. ScrappyBulldog

ScrappyBulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, where can I find instructions on entering the service menu etc ?