Very cheap upgrade for TV sound 5.1 to 7.1?

OK. Please, no expensive options (£200+ is expensive to me). If I can use bits that I have or can get very cheaply, great. Even if you know I can do better, please try and help me with what I have. OK, maybe should have come here before replacing TV, DVD and Freeviewer, but I didn't.

Samsung UE58AU7100K - new, not changing.
Sony BluRay DVD UBP X700 - new, not changing
Sony 5.1 str-KS1100
Humax FVP-500T - new, not changing
Wharfdale Crystal 30 speakers x 2, used in HiFi seperates unit, but thought I might source a couple more for surround and front speakers, but troubled over center speaker as speech seems to be my main issue.

I really only watch movies from DVD, I don't watch regular TV nor do I have any streaming services and don't intend to get them.
I have a rectangular living room with the usual alcoves beside the fireplace, but getting the speakers behing the sofa is not currently acheivable easily, you can see one peeking out bt the lamp in the corner.
IMG_20211030_164336 smaller.jpg

IMG_20211030_164329.jpg

There are a couple of, to me, very nice AV receivers available secondhand in my price range:
Denon AVR-X2300W, Sony STR DN1040. Even there is a user on here looking to change his 1080 and maybe I can nab that. Advice - upgrade my Sony STR-DN1080? depending on price.

So, is using older speakers a problem or complete no-no for some reason?
Are those AV receivers of any use to me if I can repurpose older speakers?
I like the crystals, worked well for many years and others are readily available.

Cheers,

RS

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
Using old speakers isn't a problem if the impedence is within the avr's capability.

You should be able to place a centre under the TV but it doesn't look like you have much space either side of the screen... Maybe go for small speakers.

Can you relocate the TV

Using old speakers isn't a problem if the impedence is within the avr's capability.

You should be able to place a centre under the TV but it doesn't look like you have much space either side of the screen... Maybe go for small speakers.

Can you relocate the TV
I can move the TV with a long enough HDMI, but all the sockets are behind that cabinet. I thought of wall mounting the TV on the wall with the pictures, might also help with the reflections from the bay window. I found a wall mount being thrown out, bolts and all a couple of weeks back. But should the speakers then not move either side of the TV and the Center speaker be below it? A "floating" shelf was also being scrapped,

RS

password1

Distinguished Member
The centre speaker should be as close to the middle of the screen as possible. Most people place it above or below the screen.

The centre speaker should be as close to the middle of the screen as possible. Most people place it above or below the screen.
OK, old speakers OK so long as resistances match. Now what can I use for a center speaker that maybe is a bit older. What should I look for? Looking at new speakers they seem to have a symetrical look, two larger speakers around a smaller one. Does this configuration exist in an older format? Does it not matter?

Pete

PS Long HDMI 4K cables? Maybe 10 - 15 feet

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
The centre speaker should ideally be the same as the main front speakers or from the same speaker brand and range to ensure tonal match. The rears are less important.

If they didn't make a dedicated centre speaker, an alternative is to buy another pair of the same speakers and use use a single main speaker.

OK, I don't want to go over my £200 but there is an ONKYO TX-NR656 and 7 speakers available on ebay for £279
Looks to be all singing all dancing with WiFi, BT, and even Dolby Atmos.

Worth the outlay? I guess it would solve all my issues at once,

RS

password1

Distinguished Member
Depends what the 7 speakers are and if you don't intend to go for atmos, you might find a equivalent cheaper non atmos avr. Onkyo aren't the most reliable.

password1

Distinguished Member
If you're short of space, this Canton system would be an excellent bargain.

If you're short of space, this Canton system would be an excellent bargain.

That seems a nice speaker collection for £100. But Ormskirk? Oh, Hang on, I thought it would be in Scotland, but no, Lancashire. I am over in Prestwich, Manchester end of the month, Hmmm.

RS

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom