1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very cheap marketplace LCDs on Amazon-dodgy?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Weinberg, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was looking for prices of LCD TV's on Amazon, and with the Samungs for example, I noticed that people were selling them in the Marketplace, for very low prices.

For example the Samsung 40" LE40R51BX
    at:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000A0D8G8/all/026-0765241-9598014

is £730 on Marketplace, new. The one I saw there for £760 yesterday is now gone (and was with another seller..though the username was also xxxx@yahoo.com) and I emailed the seller, asking how they were so cheap. He replied "i'm shipping from Italy and this is the local market price,the shipping takes 48 hours." Is this is any way legitimate, are the market prices for these TV's in Italy that good? Amazon do offer a guarantee on goods through the markeplace in case they aren't what they seem, and covers electronics for up to £2000. And the seller shown on the page above has 124 positive feedback and 4.9 stars out of 5.

So, what does anyone else think-are these genuine offers for new TV's, or something very dodgy?

2. Paulando

Paulando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm sure I've heard someone say they they bought one, then received an email from the seller notifying them that the Amazon payment failed and if they could pay them through Western Union (is that what's it's called?).

Worth a shot I suppose, as the above example was for around £400-odd, £730 seems much more realistic. It's worth a shot, becasue you're covered by Amazon's marketplace protection thing. Does the seller have any feedback or anything?

EDIT: Didn't realise it was the 40" model, sounds dodgy now. He has lots of good feedback though, but still...

3. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. dav076

dav076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, they're extremely dodgey, especially those with yahoo email addresses:

I emailed two different sellers about guarantees on the sets, both with yahoo addresses and got identical replies:

"hello,
    the LCD is brand new,sealed,it comes with manufacurer warranty,UK spec.also you have to know that i'm shipping from Italy,the shipping takes 48 hours.

cheers"

5. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Upon reading that thread, it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I'll probably be covered by the Amazon guarantee no problem, but it's not really worth the hassle when it's quite clear I won't get the TV. And as it says in that thread, the sellers have probably sold a lot of low-value items to get good feedback, as you can't see what items they're previously sold.