1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very cheap Apple iPod Photo 30GB

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cardiff Irons, Jun 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These seem to pitch in at about the £230 mark. However, Amazon "Marketplace" has people offering them for £100 or thereabouts.

They're definitely shown as "New" and distributed from the UK. They also have a guarantee offered by Amazon (since you make payment to them) which seems to offer protection if you're ripped off. As they are new, then presumably you pick up a warranty with Apple if there are any problems.

At the moment, I can't see any reason for not giving it a punt (was a bit undecided which way to go with a portable, but at this price it makes the decision making process a whole lot easier), but was just wondering if anyone has any wisdom as to why this might not be a good idea.

Cheers for any feedback. :smashin:

2. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, they're no longer there. I guess all I've done here is alert people to the possibility of a good deal and someone has snapped them up!!! :(

Please let me know how you got on.

3. dinesh.jadav

dinesh.jadav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that this was backed by Amazon? I am asking because about a month and a bit ago, there were 20GB IPOD's for £100. A friend tried to buy one but could not process the payment on line - He was being asked to send the payment direct to the seller. On checking with Amazon, they thought it was a scam but were powerless to stop it!!

My advice is - always check with Amazon. £100 for a brand new 30GB IPOD is just too good to be true and should start the alarm bells ringing.

4. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't actually try to proceed with the order, but I assumed that because it was on Amazon's site it would take me through to Amazon's checkout (Amazon indicate that all payments will be made through Amazon and not through the seller).

I'm not too sure how a seller could obstruct that from happening? :confused:

And yes, the alarm bells were ringing (which is why I came on here for advice). :smashin:

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Its probably a scam whereby as mentioned they will have not completed there setup with amazon properly. hence the payments would not work and they suggest you send money direct to them.. and then I would have thought they would disappear.. no different to the variety of scams on ebay !

Cheers

Matt

6. dinesh.jadav

dinesh.jadav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, these guys do not register with Amazon. So when you go to the Amazon checkout, the payment is rejected. The "Seller" somehow gets your e-mail address and e-mails you recommending a direct deal. For those who fall for it - they will never see their money not the goods.

7. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey. Glad I asked. Thanks for the feedback everyone. :thumbsup:

8. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I nearly fell for it. Saw an ipod at £65, emailed the seller to ask what it was all about and got an email back in really bad English telling me to transfer money via western union. Deleted it all straight away. Biggest scam ever.

9. dowlinmp

dowlinmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an HD5 for a £100 made some equires and it looks like a scam. Send me the money direct, to USA... No thanks. Seemed too good to be true. still eventually found a local bargain iriver 320 for ( eventually) £130 ex display. They also have HD3 for 149.95.