Very Buggy Anthem MRX 540 Receiver

tpthaler

Novice Member
Reaction score
I know there's a few threads going on with issues regarding the new Anthem receivers. But I am very unhappy thus far with the shear volume of issues I've encountered in my first couple hours of use.

Note: The first thing I did was update the firmware, got connected to my network, and then I calibrated the speakers with ARC Genesis on OSX

Here's my relatively simple 5.1 setup:
TV/Display: LG OLED77C9PUB
FL, C, FR Speakers: Terminated to speaker terminals
SR, SL: Pre-out to active surround speaker inputs
Subwoofer: Connected to subwoofer 1 output

PS5 is hooked to HDMI 1
HDMI cable is run from eARC port on AVR to eARC port on TV

Ok, onto the problems I am having. When I use the PS5 everything works properly/as expected except that the audio (sound affects) while scrolling around in the PS5 (or app) are insanely loud and annoying compared to when watching a movie in an app. I have to turn it down A LOT to make it not be super annoying while navigating around the interface and then turn it way up again while watching a movie... But that's a minor problem compared to my bigger list of the following problems:

When I use my TV's built in apps (ie: Netflix) I am having two problems. My first problem is that the AVR doesn't automatically switch to the eARC input on the ARV (I have to manually change it, which is something I don't have to do when my system is connected to my Denon AVR-X4700H - I'm not sure if this is a bug or Anthem didn't bother to implement this very useful feature, or perhaps I have something misconfigured). I'm used to it automatically detecting and switching based on the TV's state like my Pioneer, Denon/Marantz amps do.

But the BIGGEST problems that I am having is the audio isn't working properly when (for example) I'm watching a movie in Netflix via the TV's built in app and I change the Audio Mode via the web interface while watching (it works fine if I use the PS5 version of that app vs the TV's built in App with audio return over eARC). Also, if I swap out my MRX 540 with my Denon everything works perfectly.

The only way to solve this issue that I have found is to turn the AVR on and off again, having the Audio Mode set to: Dolby Surround first. If it doesn't default to that upon powering up it still glitches...

Here is the process broken down into steps:

1.) Make sure default AVR Current Audio Mode is set to Dolby Surround
2.) Watch a movie via an app on TV (ie: Netflix)
3.) Set AVR Current Input to eARC
At this point the audio works properly
4.) Change Audio Mode to anything other than Dolby Surround to anything the web interface allows (Side Bar Issue #4: You can't set it to AnthemLogic-Cinema, Anthem-Logic Music, All Channel Stereo, Mono, or All Channel Mono as you get a red error (ie: command handler error: !EZ1ALM6) in the bottom right side of the screen and the dropdown menu reverts to the previous setting)

At this point you will lose all voices. And if you set it back to Dolby Surround you still will not get voices. The only way to get it to play voices again is to first make sure the Current Audio Mode is set to Dolby Surround, and then to power cycle the AVR. If for example it's set to DTS Neutral:X and you power cycle it and then set it to Dolby Surround you still won't get voices.

Another super weird thing (#5) that happens is if you are in this glitched out state without voices, and you leave the AVR on but power cycle the TV you will get a different type of glitching audio. In this state, even more audio tracks are gone and all you are left with is the super quiet ambient background music track...

I know there's a few threads going on with issues regarding the new Anthem receivers. But I am very unhappy thus far with the shear volume of issues I've encountered in my first couple hours of use.

Note: The first thing I did was update the firmware, got connected to my network, and then I calibrated the speakers with ARC Genesis on OSX

Here's my relatively simple 5.1 setup:
TV/Display: LG OLED77C9PUB
FL, C, FR Speakers: Terminated to speaker terminals
SR, SL: Pre-out to active surround speaker inputs
Subwoofer: Connected to subwoofer 1 output

PS5 is hooked to HDMI 1
HDMI cable is run from eARC port on AVR to eARC port on TV

Ok, onto the problems I am having. When I use the PS5 everything works properly/as expected except that the audio (sound affects) while scrolling around in the PS5 (or app) are insanely loud and annoying compared to when watching a movie in an app. I have to turn it down A LOT to make it not be super annoying while navigating around the interface and then turn it way up again while watching a movie... But that's a minor problem compared to my bigger list of the following problems:

When I use my TV's built in apps (ie: Netflix) I am having two problems. My first problem is that the AVR doesn't automatically switch to the eARC input on the ARV (I have to manually change it, which is something I don't have to do when my system is connected to my Denon AVR-X4700H - I'm not sure if this is a bug or Anthem didn't bother to implement this very useful feature, or perhaps I have something misconfigured). I'm used to it automatically detecting and switching based on the TV's state like my Pioneer, Denon/Marantz amps do.

But the BIGGEST problems that I am having is the audio isn't working properly when (for example) I'm watching a movie in Netflix via the TV's built in app and I change the Audio Mode via the web interface while watching (it works fine if I use the PS5 version of that app vs the TV's built in App with audio return over eARC). Also, if I swap out my MRX 540 with my Denon everything works perfectly.

The only way to solve this issue that I have found is to turn the AVR on and off again, having the Audio Mode set to: Dolby Surround first. If it doesn't default to that upon powering up it still glitches...

Here is the process broken down into steps:

1.) Make sure default AVR Current Audio Mode is set to Dolby Surround
2.) Watch a movie via an app on TV (ie: Netflix)
3.) Set AVR Current Input to eARC
At this point the audio works properly
4.) Change Audio Mode to anything other than Dolby Surround to anything the web interface allows (Side Bar Issue #4: You can't set it to AnthemLogic-Cinema, Anthem-Logic Music, All Channel Stereo, Mono, or All Channel Mono as you get a red error (ie: command handler error: !EZ1ALM6) in the bottom right side of the screen and the dropdown menu reverts to the previous setting)

At this point you will lose all voices. And if you set it back to Dolby Surround you still will not get voices. The only way to get it to play voices again is to first make sure the Current Audio Mode is set to Dolby Surround, and then to power cycle the AVR. If for example it's set to DTS Neutral:X and you power cycle it and then set it to Dolby Surround you still won't get voices.

Another super weird thing (#5) that happens is if you are in this glitched out state without voices, and you leave the AVR on but power cycle the TV you will get a different type of glitching audio. In this state, even more audio tracks are gone and all you are left with is the super quiet ambient background music track...
Did you hear back from Anthem support?

How are you getting on with the Anthem @tpthaler

I’ll report that I’ve now been trying to get ANY. RESPONSE. AT. ALL. from Anthem for 10 days and I’ve gotten ABSOLUTELY Nothing! It’s awesome. 10
Days, while my return window is quickly dwindling, I now have a couple days before I have to pull the trigger and return it which might be a battle with the seller. I for the life of me can not understand how these companies have just no clue the damage they cause their company by providing either dogshit or nonexistent customer service. I will never give anthem a dime. I was looking for a 7 channel anthem that would have run me at least $3500 and probably more, and now they don’t get another penny. On the other hand, I wish a company like SVS specifically would come out with a nice prepro. Undoubtedly I’m gonna be called a shill but Idgaf. SVS has the best customer service in the game. They won me over completely for life over 2 emails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also the recipient of one of the few Anthem MRX 540s in the UK, and have only praise for the supplier The Sound Counsel who have been very supportive.
I've had similar challenges. Although the quality of the sound is a transformation relative to my old Sony DTR-2400ES, connectivity can indeed be best described as very buggy.
My TV is the Sony AG9, rock solid integration with the Sony AVR even though the former is new(ish) and the latter is old. Also the Sony TV plays well with the SkyQ. I don't think there's a single combination of configurations I haven't tried to get the Sony to reliably output sound from TV apps to the MRX540. It regularly drops the voices, on both eARC and optical inputs from the TV. On one occasion, after having got the voices working, they were dropped again after the movie was paused.

On occasions the Sony CEC control will turn the amp on with the TV. On occasions it won't.

We continue to investigate, guidance welcome.

Ughh, just put down half on an Mrx 540, now I am worried, perhaps I should just stay with my old pre hdmi Denon. My other choice was going to be a NAD T 758 v3i atleast that one has existed in various version since 2011, do you think that would be a better choice?

Ughh, just put down half on an Mrx 540, now I am worried, perhaps I should just stay with my old pre hdmi Denon. My other choice was going to be a NAD T 758 v3i atleast that one has existed in various version since 2011, do you think that would be a better choice?
I'm also the recipient of one of the few Anthem MRX 540s in the UK, and have only praise for the supplier The Sound Counsel who have been very supportive.
I've had similar challenges. Although the quality of the sound is a transformation relative to my old Sony DTR-2400ES, connectivity can indeed be best described as very buggy.
My TV is the Sony AG9, rock solid integration with the Sony AVR even though the former is new(ish) and the latter is old. Also the Sony TV plays well with the SkyQ. I don't think there's a single combination of configurations I haven't tried to get the Sony to reliably output sound from TV apps to the MRX540. It regularly drops the voices, on both eARC and optical inputs from the TV. On one occasion, after having got the voices working, they were dropped again after the movie was paused.

On occasions the Sony CEC control will turn the amp on with the TV. On occasions it won't.

We continue to investigate, guidance welcome.
The Sound Counsel have been talking me through the setup, and fortunately one of the team there also has a Sony AG9. I've now got it working as expected 9 times out of 10.
The AG9 has some funky settings which, having been disabled, have resolved the problems without other adverse effects. Also the AG9 likes a soft reboot on occasions which has helped.
Having been on the verge of sending it back, I'm now confident the glitches are not entirely caused by the Anthem, I'm now considering whether to go from 5.1 to 5.1.2.

hi guys i got strange issue with hdmi out in my mrx540 ,i connect sony vpl-vw290 to hdmi out 2 ,and lg 4k tv to hdmi out 1and i can't play any 3d content on my panasonic UB450, it not recognized and also block 3 d menu on my projector settings so its won't apper in menu , if i connect directly Panasonic to sony pj it works , it has something to do with hdcp i think at anthem

I just returned my MRX 540 8k
I'm super bummed cause the sound quality was awesome but the experience is way too buggy. Losing it's ip address. Forgetting it's input settings... but the one that killed me was using my Sonos over coax, the Anthem cut the first beat off of every song. EVERY song.

Anthem didn't respond to me for weeks. So I returned it and picked up the Marantz Cinema 60. Anthem lost a sale. Lost a customer who was trying to be excited.

I just returned my MRX 540 8k
I'm super bummed cause the sound quality was awesome but the experience is way too buggy. Losing it's ip address. Forgetting it's input settings... but the one that killed me was using my Sonos over coax, the Anthem cut the first beat off of every song. EVERY song.

Anthem didn't respond to me for weeks. So I returned it and picked up the Marantz Cinema 60. Anthem lost a sale. Lost a customer who was trying to be excited.
How do you like the Marantz?

How do you like the Marantz?
It's slick and sleek and works very well. I believe the Anthem had a more neutral presentation with wider sound stage but something I noticed immediately with the Marantz was I enjoyed songs that were too harsh on my previous pioneer amp.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom