1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Basic Watts Question...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by meep, Apr 20, 2003.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    coming to HiFi from Home Cinema.

If I wanted to dip my toe into Hi Fi by purchasing soemthing like Rotel RA series cd/amp or Arcam Diva cd/amp, I would be using the amp to power the l/r speakers in movie configuration as well.

Now, My A/V receiver outputs 100W per channel(pioneer 2011) but these integrated audio amps are in the 40-65W range. Is this going to be an issue? Will the W differential between front l/r and all other channels casue any noticible effects when listening to multi-channel movies?

Final question, will a 40W Rotel Amp be sufficient to drive a pair of B&W 1NTs or should I be looking for something beefier?

Any thoughts appreciated. I really just want to get a basic hi-fi set-up in place and go from there if I find an appreciable difference over my HTPC/Receiver for music playback (I suspect I will!)

Thanks

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Short answer ... No.

Most HiFi manufacturers are conservative when quoting power ratings, where as AV amps tend to over rate their amps, quoting the power with one or two chanels driven. Also Rotel and Arcam power amps are very capable and good at providing more current than most AV amps.

As for your second question ... the RA-01 / 02 (which I assume you are talking about) would drive the CDM1NT speakers ... but you wouldn't be getting the most from your speakers. A more comperable amp for the CDM1NT would be Rotel RA1060 or even the RA1070, Arcam A85 and similar. Generally people split budgets into thirds when buying 2ch systems.

If you're using a HTPC for music source ... I'd first add a CD player before upgrading your amp and let that run in before adding another amp. Also the CDM1NT speakers ... do you already have them or are you looking to buy them?

Vikki

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Sounddog

Thanks a bunch for that.

I think your strategy of acquiring the the CD first and running it in with current equipment sounds good. Particularly if I went for the RCD 1070 which would mean I could not afford to purchase an amp at this time.

Looking at that, there is a significant price differential between the RA-1060 and RA-1070 - what are the significant differences?

I have the CDM 1NTs for about 6 months now (along with a CNT) and have them well run in. They are paired up with Velodyne CHT-15 sub and I'm very happy with them.

having said that, I would be interested in your comments - you sound like you were about to offer advice but didn't in case I had already purchased!

I've currently got a pair of B&W DS6s for side surrounds and will be adding two B&W 600 S3s for rear surround duties. However, I could hold off on this invest in new fronts in the future, moving the 1NTs back.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you had in this regard

(I know this is turing into a speaker conversation but it does relate to my Amp purchasing decision)

Peter

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    meep from what i recall from your earlier posts i believe you have quite a large room? if from above post are you thinking of adding an integrated to your 2011 and using its preouts into integrated amp, if you have the space could you not have cd+integrated amp +say 601 for a seperate hi fi system and leave the 2011 +cdnms for av,

as regards the cdm1nts i have heard these with nad 370 ,a85 and rao1 the non remote model at £250, the ra was quite good considering its modest price, but was not recomended by most b&W dealers to be used with cdms, as a higher quality amp would give better overall results, the ra was being demoed in shop and was near nigh on max volume running nts,

if you have the rs chain in ireland they do the nad 370 at £300 which might be worth considering,

i use the cdms for front av+sterio lcr60 center 600s3 as surrounds,but you might find that the 601s3 are a better bet for surrounds, in tryoing dvda disc 5 channel the differance in tonal quality is shown up a bit by cdms vs 600s3