1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very basic Sony HD5 question

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Louis Mazzini, May 23, 2005.

1. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Okay, this is showing huge ignorance, but here's my question:

I only intend to put my own CDs onto an mp3 player, rather than download music.

My PC has a tiny hard drive (6gb!), so I've copied loads of CDs into mp3 format, then transferred them to data CDs and removed them from the hard drive.

With my old Zen Mmicro I simply copied these albums from the data CDs onto the player, no problem. However, I've read reviews of some machines which imply to me that they synchronize with your PC when connected and automatically update from your PC's library (the Zen didn't do this).

Now, I'm worrying that it's possible that some mp3 players will automatically remove any albums on them if they find they're no longer on the PC when the two are docked. Is this a huge misunderstanding on my part? Will I be okay with the HD5 to "load it up" with albums from my mp3 data CDs?

Thanks for your help.

2. whiteairzuit

whiteairzuit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bill, the HD5 use Sony's own Sonic Stage 3.1 music management software, i have just brought a new HD5 and have happily coppied all my music onto it using sonic stage, now in the transfere screen, you have the option to transfere music one track at a time back and forth, and automatically.

I will try deleting a track on my hard drive and get back to you whether it automatically removes that track from the player, apart from that it is highly recomended from me.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Music will not be deleted from the player because it is not on the PC. (With SonicStage and the HD5.

You will have to transfer the music onto you PCs hard drive temporarily though, and then transfer over to the player.

The iPod will delete any music not in iTunes, automatically, becuase of Auto-Sync.

If you have an old PC, I suggest you first check it has a USB2 port, and also download SonicStage to make sure it works. SS isnt really very good on anything other than Windows XP.

Download it here - http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DNA/SonicStage/SS31.asp

4. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers guys, that's most useful.

I didn't mention before that I briefly owned an iPod 30gb Photo (VERY briefly - it stopped working after a couple of hours), and had the problem as described above. I wasn't sure if this was down to me doing something wrong, or if it really was deleting things that weren't in iTunes any longer.

So, it looks like an HD5 then. Thanks again.