1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very basic question?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mevetts, Jul 2, 2004.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have read a lot about the different sound formats and that people have different preferences. When playing DVDs thru an AV receiver -

Does the rec auto detect the format?

Can it be changed manually?

Do DVDs generally come with a number of formats?

Sorry, for the basic questions, but I'm trying to get to grips with it all and have probably missed out some of the basic components that make up DVDs. If I do not know these, how should I know what equipment to get! :laugh:

Thanks,

Mark.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Does the rec auto detect the format?
    Yes, provided you have it set to "Auto" and your connection to the DVD is digital.

Can it be changed manually?
    On the receiver - only within limits determined by the source signal. For example, if the DVD is outputting a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, you can't change it to DTS. But you can change it to Dolby Stereo/Prologic/Stereo/other DSP effects. For example, if the DVD is outputting a Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) signal, you can't select DD5.1 etc.

Do DVDs generally come with a number of formats?
    Yes. Many do. Most often just different languages, but also you might get DD5.1, DD2.0, and/or DTS5.1 etc on the same disc. You select which via the disc menu or the player - not in the amp. The amp will only reproduce the ONE signal you send to it.

3. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Nigel, that has cleared it up for me.