Very basic question about Upscalers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ninj, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

Just thinking tonight about buying an upscaling DVD. How do they work exactly? Do they just digitally enhance the standard DVD format?

How much of an improvement is there visually vs HD/BD?? Bear in mind my TV is a non 1080 Sammy LE4073BD, how much of a difference is there?

Really not sure which horse to back in the HD/BD race although I personally favour HD at this point, theyre still a big jump in £££.

Thanks for any advice

rgds

Rich

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Upscalers work by increaseing the number of lines in the picture based on previous lines in the image and interpolating new lines. They can increase perceived sharpness but can also increase arefacts, most people are pleased with the general improvemnt in the image and some say its a useful stop gap until the HD format war settles.

3. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    That makes sense. Is there potential then for them to over enhance a not so great DVD to give no improvement or like you mention, possible degredation from artefacting?

Ive no idea how long it will take for HD/BD to come online properly in the UK so Im kind of itchy to upgrade my all in one, I may be best just sitting tight and waiting it out.......

Thanks for the reply

Rich