Very basic HTPC VESA build

youreds91

Standard Member
Hi
I'm having a jig around & will be moving my main HTPC which has all the TV tuners into the garage (it won't fit into the soon to arrive IKEA unit), & replacing it with a VESA mount Mini-ITX client.

I'm a bit out of touch with current processors so just need a little guidance.

I'm looking at

MSI B75IA-E33 Socket 1155
Antec ISK 110 Mini ITX Case with VESA Mount
Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket 1155 3MB L3

120Gb SSD & 8GB DDR3 (already got these)

All it's going to do is be a Mediaportal/ArgusTV client, connected by Cat5.
Will this combination be OK for HD TV & playing back 1080p BluRay Rips? There'll be no gaming or anything else, I may also toy with XBMC on it at some point.
Would a lower spec Processor be OK?
I'm not too fussed on cost, but don't want overkill either

One other thing is the stock cooler, I've seen on youtube that they fit fine in this case, but how noisy are they? I'll probably stick in a quiter one anyway.

Any of these any good?

Thanks

CD

cjed

I'm pretty sure that spec CPU will be more than up to handling dutues as a media player. I use an Acer Revo RL80 with a Celeron 1007u and that does HD media and Blu-ray playback fine.

If you're going to VESA mount the unit on the back of a TV/Monitor that case looks fairly bulky - have you considered one of the new 4th Gen Intel NUCs ? They're comparable prices to what you're considering (although lower performance CPUs). Something like a this one. You'll need to add RAM and an mSATA SSD (it doesn't take standard 2.5" drives), so you're probably looking at around £300. You can also add WiFi and Bluetooth via a Mini-PCie card. I have the i5 version of this and it's very impressive.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom