(Very) Basic Home cinema Advice

albionking

Standard Member
Reaction score
I won't explain how little i know about home cinema, I'm sure my question will do that for me!

I'd been looking at these home cinema in a box set ups and now someone's offered me a panasonic BD45 blu-ray player so i'm considering buying some speakers and building the thing with separates components. Would be looking to build a 2.1 system.

So my question is this: does the blu-ray player perform all the audio processing/amp functions? or do i need to buy another piece of equipment?

I realise my question is embarassingly basic but would greatly appreciate any assistance/recommendations on equipment.

Many thanks

AK

Thanks.

So when I see these all in one box set ups. Is there more equipment in there than 5 speakers, a sub and a DVD/blu ray player?

It all depends. Some systems incorporate the surround processor and amplification for the other speakers within what appears to be the subwoofer. Some all in one packages incorporate the amplifier within the DVD/BD player and you attach the speakers and display to it. You usually get the speakers included with such systems. The most flexible and accomplished by far solution is to keep it all separate. Buy the amplifier, speakers, subwoofer and the player separately, although most AV speaker packages do include an active subwoofer as well as the two front speakers, a centre and two surrounds.

Thanks.

So if I'm looking at buying my bluray and speakers separately, is there any particular features i need to look for in the bluray player to perform these functions?

Thanks.

So if I'm looking at buying my bluray and speakers separately, is there any particular features i need to look for in the bluray player to perform these functions?

What you need will almost certainly come as standard these days. You'll almost certainly get HD audio access as well as onboard decoding and the obligatory HDMI output. You may also want to look into 3D, but you'll also need a 3D capable display if you take this route. An ethernet port and networking capabilities are a must for BD Live and in order to easily get firmware updates so try to get a player that has some form of networking abilities, either hardwired or wifi.

Cheers

So to summarize, if i buy the pana BD45 (no ethernet capabilities but i've little interest in BD live) and a 2.1 speaker system, i should be able to achieve a reasonable 2.1 surround sound home cinema system?
To clarify, i'm not massively into movies but would like a decent enough setup for occasional use. My chief motivation is to improve on the average sound quality of my plasma set for general viewing.

AK

Cheers

So to summarize, if i buy the pana BD45 (no ethernet capabilities but i've little interest in BD live) and a 2.1 speaker system, i should be able to achieve a reasonable 2.1 surround sound home cinema system?
To clarify, i'm not massively into movies but would like a decent enough setup for occasional use. My chief motivation is to improve on the average sound quality of my plasma set for general viewing.

AK

THe BD player would be fine. I think your dilemma will be more to do with which amp you buy to power the speakers with? You say 2.1, but do you mean to use the sub to access the discrete LFE channel or do you intend to use it to augment the front two speakers output with?

If I were you then I'd be concentrating on the audio equipment you'll be needing rather than the BD player.

That was kinda my original question...

Does the BD player do everything i'd need or do i require additional hardware?

Only asked as it appears the all in one solutions comprise of multiple speakers plugged into a BD/DVD player. Just wondered if there was more to it than meets the eye. Sorry to labour the point, very much appreciate your help on this

AK

I know it's going to cost a bit more, but you really need to be going for a 5.1 surround system to really appreciate the Home Cinema experience.

Otherwise, it'll be little better than a normal telly!

Good luck. :smashin:

Standalone BD players have no speaker terminals and do not incorporate an audio amplifier. If you buy or have a standalone player then you will need both an amplifier and speakers.

So there's likely to be a difference between a standalone BD player and one provided in an 'all in one box' solution?

So there's likely to be a difference between a standalone BD player and one provided in an 'all in one box' solution?

Yes. The player usually incorporates the amp in an all in one set up and you connect the speakers to it. Seems like a cheaper alternative, but I'd recommend you spend a little but more on separates. The extra cost is minimal in comparison to the additional sound quality you'll get. You'll also have far more flexibility as to the eventual sound you get. You can upgrade individual components one by one and you'll not be forced into starting from scratch should any one component give up the ghost or be in need of an upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom