Very annoying problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gibson SG 62, Dec 23, 2011.

1. gibson SG 62

gibson SG 62
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a nagging problem with my setup, i knew from the start compatibility can sometimes be an issue so i decided from the off to buy all Sony, i have:

Sony Bravia KDL-46V4000 TV HD up to 1080p
    Sony STR-DG820 amp
    And a Sony PS3 used as a games console and Blu-Ray player.
    I also have 7.1 KEF surround sound, the egg type speakers.

Connections wise, i have a HDMI cable coming out of the PS3 and into the BD port or sometimes the DVD port on the DG820, then a HDMI cable from the OUT to the HDMI port on the TV, no other connecting cables.

the problem is i will be watching a movie when the TV will go black and then
    HDMI 1 will appear then followed underneath by 1080p then the picture comes back, almost like its switched ports on the TV, this had nearly always happened and last night we was watching ELF, the movie was in a low def format, i was watching it over an ethernet link using my PC as a media server, but this problem happens even if i watch a standard def movie.
    I have tried swapping ports on the TV to HDMI 2, still same, and also changing cables.
    do you think this could be an upscaling problem? im pretty sure i still get this problem even if i watch a 1080p movie, last night the switching happened 15+ times during 'Elf' and the family were not impressed, ive tried changing some settings around but to be honest im a bit out of my depth and hope you kind people can throw a bit of light on it.
    Thanks
    Lee.

2. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Try borrowing a cable from a mate proven to have no issues and see if you get the same problem. If you do moan at the retailer and if no joy contact Sony - as you have the same make of TV & player Sony cannot wriggle out of responsibility. Do not leave things hoping they will right themselves as equipment like this should just work... you could also try connecting the BR player straight to the TV and not via the amp. Good luck!

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,383
    This is going to be some kind of EDID problem.

EDID is a handshake that goes on between any HDMI source , ( such as the PS3) and a HDMI sink ( such as the amp or the TV )

The source constantly queries the sink as to what it can do , and sets itself up accordingly , so what seems to be going on here , is that on a scene change or something , the source is getting back some info it thinks it needs to act on , and resets itself.

First things first , if the PS3 is going to be connected via the amp all the time , then re-set the PS3 to work with the amp , make sure the output is not set to auto , as auto switching will do exactly what you describe as your problem.

Leave the TV on , the amp on , both on the correct channels , turn off the PS3 , and on power up hold down the button for about 10 seconds and when the setup screen shows , follow the instructions.
    It will set itself up to the maximum resolution the amp allows , it will display this in the setup routine , accept it.

Second , dont double scale , the PS3 will be upscaling already for any content that is not already in full HD. Theres no need to have the amp doing the same , so either turn off scaling on the amp , or select one fixed resolution for it to scale too , again , make sure its not in an "Auto" setting as this will cause your problem.

Anyway, try those two and see how you get on.