Vertigo crowned greatest movie of all time

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Robothamster, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,196
  2. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Sky+'d this from the other night.... Have yet to see it but knew of it being something pretty special.

Should have time to watch it this weekend and now looking forward to it even more so. :thumbsup:

3. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Great choice !

When James Stewart first sees her in the movie, Kim Novak's appearance in Ernie's Restaurant is probably the most ravishing of all time, it's certainly the best camera pan ever.

4. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not another ****ing greatest movie thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  5. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    :laugh:

6. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    It's a thread about the best film list Sight and Sound puts together once a decade. Maybe you haven't heard of it, but it's a big deal for people who are interested in film. It tends spark a lot of discussion about film in the media all round the world and it puts classic films back in the spotlight, which isn't a bad thing in my book.

And my favourite film of all time has made it to the top. :)

7. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
  8. systemsdead

systemsdead
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,946
    Well said Todd

I don't agree with Vertigo but hey ho it's a great list with only a few I would have left out personally,the Bfi website was getting one hell of a hammering last night took ages to get to view the top 50 list,so yes this list as loads of worldwide interest and is very highly regarded.

9. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,942
    Looking at the critics list I feel such a philistine. I've tried to enjoy tokyo story but found it incredibly hard going - the opposite of Hitchcock's "film is life without the dull bits" (or similar) quote.

10. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280
    More than half of the films on the list are films I genuinely love (1,2,4,5,6 & 7) The Passion of Joan of Arc I've still not seen and the other three I can see why they are admired, but they aren't quite my thing.

The ascent of Vertigo is quite interesting. I remember when this was a little seen film. A whole generation of movie goers had not seen this film because Hitchcock withdrew it from circulation in the 60s. I went to a secret screening of it in the early 80s at a Hitchcock retrospective at the Munich Film Museum and fell in love with it. Then it get re-released in the mid-80s and restored in the mid-90s and its reputation has steadily grown since then.

11. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Not liking something doesn't make you a philistine, we can't all like everything. I wouldn't willingly watch 2001 again but I can fully accept a lot of people feel it's a great movie.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    MOD Comment please do not quote post that circumvent the swear word filter or I will have to class you also are trying to circumvent it.

13. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,159
    Personally I'd put Taxi-Driver or Blade Runner up there but nice to see Vertigo up there. Great movie, superb score. Better than Citizen Kane ad infinitum anyway.

14. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,280

Thanks for telling me off, rather than the person who did the deed. The moderating really can be heavy handed and unfair on here.

And feel free to do whatever you feel have to do to me for that comment. It will have been worth it.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    And he got a infraction for it, and PM not to do it again at 12.34, 8 minutes before you posted, and 2 after the PM I posted the warning.

But as you asking for one you can have one.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Todd - You may be pleased to hear that Eureka/Masters Of Cinema are releasing a Dual Blu-Ray/DVD edition of THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC towards the end of the year, here in the UK. :)

I have to confess I've never seen VERTIGO (what a heathen that must make me), but it's interesting to see how time can alter what is considered to be the "greatest" movie of all time.

CITIZEN KANE, THE GODFATHER PART II, have held that lofty position in year's gone past, and now VERTIGO.

I personally think that CINEMA PARADISO is the greatest film of all time, but if I haven't seen VERTIGO, then my choice is likely to be biased.

Pooch

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    Iv seen Vertigo a fair few time and would at least personally agree Cinema Paradiso is a better film, and is usually in my top 10 favorite films and critically would at least have it in the top 5.
    I personally prefer of Hitchcock's films North By Northwest.

18. Redline

Redline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Ive never heard of half them films in that list. Any film list without "The Life Of Brian" in the top ten is not worth anything.

19. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    The Sight & Sound list is compiled by an international group of critics which explains why a movie like that wouldn't get the attention you feel it merits.

20. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,076
    It's not a competition, liking a great film isn't like supporting your favourite team where you slang off the opposition.

I've heard of all ten films but only watched 6 of them and from those, the only one I didn't care for was Tokyo Story. I approach such lists as aid memoir to explore films that are considered great and I'll be looking to watch the 4 on the list I haven't yet seen.

21. sebbykin

sebbykin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,679
    "Its triumph coincides with the launch of the BFI's Genius of Hitchcock season, a major retrospective celebrating the acclaimed "master of suspense". (BBC website):eek:

22. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,942
    Indeed, each to their own of course. I just wish I could share the enthusiasm for Tokyo Story but I find it so boring to watch.

23. captainarchive

captainarchive
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,076
    Vertigo isn't my favourite Hitchcock film, that honour goes to Rear Window. Vertigo isn't even in my top 10 Hitchcock films.

24. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Whereas I find it one of the most moving films I've ever watched and which has a fierce truthfulness (about the way some grown up children treat their aging parents) which is very hard to face up to.

25. richp007

richp007
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,288
    Vertigo is a great film, but not sure I would ever class it as no.1. May have to give it another watch in the coming weeks anyway.

26. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Its not MY favourite film of all time, its not even my favourite Hitchcock (North by Northwest is my fav) but from a film critic pov, it deserves the Best film accolade. Mind you Citizen Kane also deserved it too, its nice that the accolade can pass around now and again.

I've only seen 4 of those movies. I am no film connoisseur like most of you here, I am a popcorn muncher, and I like Nic Cage movies :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  27. richp007

richp007
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,288
    If Con Air doesn't get to the top of this list someday, the whole thing is a sham!!!! :D

28. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,942
    Goes to show you, people get things from films that other people don't. Mind you, I bought high brow entertainment in Snatch yesterday so I think labelling myself a philistine isn't unfair!

29. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Redline,

It could be argued then, that if you haven't heard of these films, that you need to start looking further afield and expanding your horizons. ;)

I'm not saying you should immediately start watching Pasolini films or the entire oeuvre of Ozo, but you should start dipping your toe into the world of World Cinema.

I did, when I was about 10 years old, and have never looked back. There's a whole smorgasboard of amazing films out there, from other countries (non-American, non-UK), that are often as good, if not better than anything the US can make.

And you don't even have to give up on your fave genres. Most countries make great comedies, great sci-fi/fantasy films, great action, great horrors. So if you enjoy, let's say, horror films, try watching some of the recent French and Japanese horrors, then go from there. If you like action films, watch Luc Besson's LA FEMME NIKITA, or TAXI, or the German drama RUN, LOLA, RUN. Try watching some Bruce Lee films in their original language with English subtitles, especially GAME OF DEATH.

Give it a shot. Foreign Films are not all boring, pretentious, black-and-white, three hour epics - which is what many people fear subtitled films are. If I can convince my Mum that some French films are worth watching, and she's almost 70, I'm sure you can find a decent film out there to tickle your tastebuds as well. :D

Pooch

30. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    Hey Pooch, I dont know how much of world cinema, Redline has seen but I am thinking, just because he's seen half of the list doesn't necessarily mean he hasnt seen a considerable amount of world cinema.

The reason I come to his (admitted totally un-requested and perhaps unnessary) defence (for lack of a better word) is because I only saw just 4 on that top 10 list (the Sight and Sound one, that is, I saw 6 from the Directors list) which is even worse! But I know for sure the number of foreign films I have seen are in the 3 digit sum and that includes every single film you mentioned in your post :) I see mostly Hong Kong, Japanese, Korean, Thai, French, and lately a flurry of Norwegian films. Plus I have seen perhaps as many old movies as modern era ones, both silent and talkies. The only movies I dont go to the cinema or watch at home unless I have press/preview tickets, are girlie flicks, and comedies with dreadfully unfunny trailers, and arthouse movies that appear too pretentious for my liking. Just today, I went to see a film called Sound of My Voice, which opened today to a grand total of 1 cinema in UK...actually I need to write up something on that, it was a great movie, shame its only showing at the one cinema.

Sorry Pooch, this aint an attack, and totally agree with your recommendations, just wondering if you might be making too much of an assumption there ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012