Vertically mounting a disc drive in a desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by spocksbeard, Nov 28, 2010.

1. spocksbeard

spocksbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi all, re-doing my room at the moment and planning on getting an Acer Revo for media duties, only thing is they don't have disc drives. I want as little clutter on my desktop as possible (hence the Revo which will piggyback on a monitor), and had the idea of sinking a slot-loading drive into the desk.

Firstly, will a drive work vertically?
    Secondly, has anyone tried this before and if so did they have any problems?
    Lastly, can anyone recommend me a slot-loading drive for ripping and burning CDs and DVDs, preferably under £80

Oooh, and it would have to connect with USB

TIA

2. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    hmmm

well first of all. any drive will work vertically. ever noticed those little notches that stick out onto the tray?

as for slot loading drives, not sure, but you can take a usb enclosure, shove a standard drive into that. cut out a space in your desk, slide the enclosure with your drive in down into that then use some brackets to hold it in place. most enclosures use either usb, firewire or E-sata. that would probably be the easiest way. if your handy with a drill and jig saw as well as some files/sand paper you can probably get a very snug fit between the enclosure and your desk wood. assuming its wood.

if your going for asthetics as well, get some rubber striping to place between the enclosure and your desk. this would also help reduce some vibration and potential shock damage.

big question tho. do you ever loose your temper and hit your desk?

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Why not just get a machine whose case has both a VESA mount and a DVD drive? I'm sure there must be one or two about.

4. spocksbeard

spocksbeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Reeve, that is a very good point that I hadn't thought of, I am prone to the odd head-desk moment.

EndlessWaves, I got so caught up in the idea of putting it in the desk that I managed to overlook that idea, thanks!

5. reeve1987

reeve1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    plus you can always cable tie the external drive to the monitor arm or something?

6. Mub6

Mub6
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had my dvd drive in my pc mounted vertically for the best part of 6 years.
    i burn stuff to it all the time and not a single issue ever.

hope this helps.