1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical zoom anyone?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by kelu, Sep 26, 2003.

1. kelu

kelu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

do you know a TV set with a vertical zoom, that is a zoom enabling stretching of the image vertically only ?

I often read "panoramic mode, 14/3..." but is there a set where you can customize a zoom mode to your liking ?

thanks for your info :clap:

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I don't think there is, all Zoom modes tend to zoom Horizontally as well

Of course a drastic way of doing this would be to enter a sets 'service' mode and adjust its Vertical Height property.. but this isn't very practical if you want to switch zoom modes for other stuff..

Why do you need just to stretch something vertically, if you don't mind me asking???

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    PLEASE don't say it's to remove the black bars on 2.35:1 ratio films :rolleyes:

4. kelu

kelu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it is because I own a Kiss DVD/DivX player that does not reproduce correctly aspect ratios for divX/Xvid files. Indeed films encoded on a PC are meant to be played on a computer screen which has square pixels... the problem is that TVs have rectangular pixels.
    KiSS is aware of the problem but strangely does not do a thing about it ! Incredibly no online/paper review mentioned that flaw !

I tried to play with the service menu of my old sony, the problem is that the 4 display/zoom modes are interdependents which means I cannot select a zoom mode dedicated to that use since all the others mode are altered by my "vertical tuning" :(

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It might be worth researching into the XBOX????

A modified XBOX can use XBOX Media Player that can play all XVID/DIVX/etc and this has an unbelievable amount of tweak options as well...

Oh, and it play's games...

6. kelu

kelu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, but I just bought my player and I plan to keep it. And because my TV is one of the smallest 16/9 set (46 cm), I thought that would be a good occasion to change TV :)

Maybe the zoom mode on newer TVs are not interdependent, leaving thepossibility to tweak one dedicated to the Kiss ?

Any "service menu addict" to confirm me that ?