Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Vertical XBox?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Jules, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Is is safe to use an XBox standing on its side? (like a PS2).
    It would fit just nicely on its side in my cabinet and reduce clutter.

Jules

2. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wouldn't the game disc fall out before you could feed in the motorised tray and even if you managed it, fall out again when you ejected? The PS2 has a cradle on one side of the disc tray specifically for this but I can't remember if the XBox has.:)

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I'd be careful. Unlike the PS2, it's not designed to be used on it's side. Because there's no stand available it won't be very stable. And it has a hard drive inside. Most hard drives will work fine horizontal and fine vertically on either their left or their right side. Turning it onto the wrong side could mess up the drive in a very short space of time. Unless you know exactly what you're doing I'd follow the advice on the manual, which is to use it flat, on a hard surface.

[Edit] Also the Xbox has ventilation slots on both left and right sides. Don't do it.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    ok, thanks for the info.

I guess I won't be doing it then.
    I did notice however that the draw mechanism does hold the disc vertically aswell. But given your advice about the hard drive and ventilation, I'll not risk it!

thanks again
    Jules

5. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Apart from stabiliy and ventilation there should be no reason not to mount the XBox on it's side.

I have seen PC hard drives mounted any which way both in the corporate enviroment (you would be suprised how people balance their machines) and in my own PC's (upside down is not uncommon for me and hanging vertically by string was another. I have only had one hard drive failure in the last 10 years and that was a new drive which was DOA.

Ventilation would be worth taking not of as there is no fan on the processor. Would be better to put something under it to lift the XBox off the floor / stand and allow air to be drawn in. Might even help ventilation as the hot air will just escape out of the ventilation holes now at the top of the box.

What you want is feet like the ones for the PS2. You can get PC case feet but these tend to be beige (bit of custom painting and they may be ok).

Cheers
    RB

6. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not safe to use it on it's side. I'd be surprised if it would even pick up the disc as there's no vertical retainers on the drive drawer. I tried it back in April when I got mine, didn't work, then I read the manual, where it says XBox will not work on it's side.....

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lechacal said
    That is rubbish because todays hard drives (might have been the case with very old HD's but then we aren't talking about them) are designed to be mounted any way you want and even if you mount on a piece of strong string (like RimBlock said) it wouldn't do it any harm just has long has it didn't get banged about.

Has for the CD drive, can't say if the new Xbox has the retainers or not but you would need them.

Has for ventilation I agree with RimBlock in that you would need feet that raise the Xbox off the surface and give it stability