Vertical placement of subs

S

shumi

Cheers,
first thread on this forum for me. I own two REL Stadium II and have found that I have a 63 Hz null at hearing hight with subs on the floor. Has anyone tried to elevate the speakers to fill these types of nulls? If so, how did you accomplish this and how did choose the right height?
Much appreciated.

I presume you've checked that the subs aren't wired out of phase? That sounds a bit odd to me. If they're in phase then you'd have to have one subwoofer eight and a half feet closer to the listening position than the other one to get a null at 63Hz.

Nicolas,
the subs are in phase. The null disappears at listening position at zero height. It is my understanding that the null is caused by the room dimensions (13x17x8 in height.)

Hi Shumi

There was a brief article in SGHT recently about sub placement. The idea was to place the sub at room nulls to avoid exciting room modes and get smoother bass response without nulls.

(this also assumes the listening position is not against a back wall as mine used to be!!).

The various room modes put nulls at 1/2 width/lenght/height, 1/4 etc...

The article recommened a single sub at 1/2 room length on the side wall and 1/4 room width at the back wall to avoid exciting these modes. The article went on to recommend placing subs on shelfs to avoid vertical modes (1/2 height)....

The main conclusion was that a sub positioned in the corner was the worst place (without good electronic equalisation).

I didn't try the sub halfway up the wall (thought I might one day).

I DID try moving the sub out into the room so as a single sub it was at 1/2 room and approx 1/4 room length. Not ideal but it was a HUGE improvement. I didn't realise how much positioning the sub close to walls and especially a corner effected bass peaks and nulls.

Soooooo, though I've not tried it myself I would expect raising the sub up will help get a smoother bass response. BUT, the sub
's position relative to the other room modes might be more significant and certainly easier to play with.....

Cheers
Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom