1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical mounting of Barco 808

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zanc, Jul 31, 2003.

1. zanc

zanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it possible to mount a BG808 vertically. I would like to build a box for the projector so that lenses point toward the ceiling and have a door on the top with a silvered mirror that can be raised to 45 degrees to project the image onto the screen. I also intend to build shelving down the front to hold some of my DVDs. The height of the mirror would be ideal for the proposed position of my screen, and the floor space taken up by the projector would be a minimum.

I would have to think about wall clearance for ventilation. I intend to leave the bottom open so that when the mirror is raised would act like a chimney to aid cooling.

Comments appreciated.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Id be just as worried about getting a sufficiently high quality mirror......

Ad

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    If I remember rightly, Roland was toying with this idea for one of his setups. I mention it only because I'm sure he's far too busy installing!

Rob.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I'm sure if you had a mirror like one of the RPTVs (mirrored face on surface of glass instead of under glass surface) then you'd lose very little quality.

Sounds like an interesting idea, but surely the cooling of the Barcos is designed with orientation of the projector in mind? What i mean is, would the exisiting cooling system work well with the projector in a vertical rather than horizontal position?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i remember an article in hcc about this sort of thing (actually i think the company was paradigm!) and if i recall their rigs were crt designed, though they cost an absolut fortune! I'll try and dig it out.

Ad

6. zanc

zanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the retrographics (Front projection based on the 808) sits at about 30 degrees to the vertical. So vertical mounting may not be too much of an issue.

7. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I was new to PJ's I actually did this , I mounted my BD 800 on the wall with a mirror @ 45deg. shining it on the wall opposite, this was before I found out that to get optimum picture quality the PJ needed to be 3 Meters away from the screen (6~7 ft wide screen) and not 5 meters away as I currently had it set up. in a nut shell this is your problem

the smaller you want your pic the closer to the screen you take the PJ but that is either going to leave your PJ suspended in mid air or you hang it on the wall and end up with a pic to big for comfortable viewing

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is perfectly possible to mount a CRT projector in any possition other than withe TUBES completly vertical. (doing this will cause the air bubble to come into the picture area.)

The down side of doing what you sugget is the projector will have to go in a rig with the cover facing away from the screen ( this could make future servicing difficult.)
    The other down size is that the picture will probably end up too big for comfortable viewing. most people find the 1.4 trow of the average CRT about right. If you put it on the back wall behind you the screen will almost certainly be too big.

9. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds perfect :smashin:

10. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you looked into the possibility of obtaining a 'split-head' 808?? This way you can mount the lenses in the normal ceiling orientation but the electronics can be mounted on the wall at the rear. I think the distance between the two units is pretty close to 1m max, due to the umbilical chord.

You could always go for another angle of mirror rather than 45 degress. Give me your room dims and desired screen size and position and I will do a layout for you in CAD, plus if you give me your seating position and screen material I can work out your system performance, mirror size needed etc..

Let me know.