1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical Mosaic ?dropout? band

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PaulF, Oct 16, 2004.

1. PaulF

PaulF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I'm new here, but would appreciate the advice of any experts out there.

I have been having great difficulty determining whether there is a fault with my camcorder, or whether the fault is with the tapes.

I have a panasonic nv-mx8 (2 years old). I use panasonic tapes and have never re-used a tape so far. Tapes stored dry at room temp. No problems until now. Finally got round to editing tapes after about 2 years. On one tape, suddenly started getting vertical band approx 1/3 of way across screen from right, with mosaic effect, sometimes weird colors, sometimes displaced pixel blocks, on playback of one tape. Sound dropping out too. Tried another tape, which had previously played back fine; exactly the same thing, with band in exactly the same place....and another tape, and another.

But this is the weird thing.....within an hour of the original fault, some of the tapes seem to have cured themselves, and some don't - only 2 of my 10 tapes now consistently are doing this, with the band in exactly the same place for both, all the way through the tape, whereas all the others, including some which acquired a 'temporary' band, are now playing back fine. I've cleaned the heads with a tape cleaner.

I've played back the tape which consistently produces this pattern on a canon machine, and although it looks slightly different, the band is basically still there and in the same place. I have checked that I can record and playback fine now on new tapes.

If this is a tape fault, why is the band in the same place on two different tapes and all the way through?

Why did some of the tapes have a band and have now 'recovered'?

Is my machine damaging the tapes?

Oh, and on 2x fast forward the band seems to go away - it looks as though the data is there, it just cant be got at in normal speed.

Any suggestions?? Noone I've spoken to seems to have the faintest idea of what the cause is. I don't want to send the camera away unless it actually has a fault.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    This is a pure guess but could it be down to the tracking?
    Try putting one of the 'faulty' tapes in the camcorder and fast forwarding all the way to the end and then rewinding back to the start, and then try playing again.
    If the fault is still there then have a look at the tape when part way through and see if there is any visible damage. Have these tapes been sitting unused for any length of time? If so then the coatings on the tape could have stuck to the back of the tape on the reel, or perhaps the edge is damaged as it has not been wound correctly on the reel.

Mark.

3. bugster

bugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another guess:

Some foreign partical got onto the tape head. This caused the playback problems. Ita also damaged some of the tapes, replicating the same effect. Eventually the foreign particle wore down or was removed (possibly by the cleaning). Now some tapes are damaged (scratched?) but others got away with.

I hope for your sake I am wrong!