Vertical lines

M

MisterPoppy

Hello everyone.

I've got a problem with vertical lines when I'm playing games (especially GT HD), watching movies browsing the XMB etc etc.

It's a bit hard to define exactly how the lines look, but I'll show you this picture. Please note that I've colored "the lines", which in the real world are slightly brighter than the rest of the picture, with brown to make them easier to spot.

post-2025-1176829408.gif

I'm running my PS3 in 720p so it couldn't be interlaced lines right? I'm using a Samsung 32" R75B with a HDMI cable from EB Games, I'm not sure what brand it is but I've heard some say it's called "Booklet" or something like that, quite cheap.

My question to you is, obviously, if anyone else have had this problem and knows a way to fix it? Perhaps buying a different cable will help? Or is it my TV? Or the PS3?

Thanks in advance!

Possibly the way the TV is doing the horizontal scaling (720p is 1280 wide and TVs are usually 1366) or it could be like mine where there's shadowing on the display (in my case at the 4:3 borders... it's a form of burnin) - you can tell the difference if you can see it on ordinary TV. If you can't it's probably just your TVs scaler not scaling evenly.

I have the exact same problem except its only seen on "black" backgrounds, don't notice when playing games or dvd.

Its 6 vertical bars which ar a slightly off-color, i get this on HDMI, tested a cheapo cable and also a £45 one, haven't tried component yet.

Not sure what the problem is cause i ran my PC to the TV though HDMI with no problem.

need to test some alternate config's to solve this :mad:

This will be of no help to you at all but I have to say that I have never seen a problem demonstrated as well as you have done.

If it's scaling It really depends on the scaling algorithms.. the 'simple' way to do it will have exactly that effect, which is why it's a bit more complex to do it right.

You can see something like it on http://glotv.dax.nu/xbox/scaling-artefacts.html

I beleive it is caused by an un-even back lighting on the TV.
I used to get a similar effect on my LG LCD although it was only really noticable on a few occasions.

My TV is downscalling 1080i > 960x540 :rolleyes:

Uneven backlighting would be seen on all video inputs.......

1080i->960x540 wouldn't generate artefacts as it's exactly half 1920x1080.

OTOH I've never heard of a 960x540 TV before... are you sure? What model is it?

Yeah, its the sharp aquos, P50E (i think), btw, closest thing to "the best of both worlds" regarding SD and HD, SD looks great, HD... even better :thumbsup:

Thanks alot for your replies.

If I understand your answers correctly, there's nothing that I can actually do? It wouldn't help to send it in to service?

It may not be that big of a problem, but once you've spotted them you see them all the time.

Thanks once again.

Yeah, its the sharp aquos, P50E (i think), btw, closest thing to "the best of both worlds" regarding SD and HD, SD looks great, HD... even better :thumbsup:

I used to get the same problem when I had the Sharp GA6. it only happened some of the time though, and only when connected via VGA to the 360...

Perhaps a problem with Sharp screens in general?

1080i->960x540 wouldn't generate artefacts as it's exactly half 1920x1080.

OTOH I've never heard of a 960x540 TV before... are you sure? What model is it?

That is the PPP model Sharp released. Pal Picture Perfect. I believe the screen resolution matches exactly the PAL broadcast signal (720*625?)

Its is HD compatible as well due to having HDMI and component.

The new 1.80 update seems to have fixed the problem (used the new HDMI settings) and even before testing any games or dvd the PQ looks even better :thumbsup:

Reuben

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom