Vertical Lines

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Odbod, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Odbod

Odbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have (or rather had) an Amstrad box and noticed vertical lines on the screen a couple of months ago but have waited until now before calling Sky out, so that I could watch everything first and make sure it wasn't my imagination.

Just had an engineer out who has assured me that this is nothing he has ever seen before and blamed everything from the television to the scart cable on the problem instead!!!

Strangely enough though, he changed it over for a Pace box (without me asking) and hey presto, the lines have gone. It seems then that some are prepared to accept the problem more than others or did I have the only engineer on the Sky staff who's never had this problem.

I would therefore go along with what others have said, get an engineer out if you notice the problem and try to get a Pace box instead.

I'm now a lot happier as the vertical lines were starting to drive me mad.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you need to do a search on the forums for this problem, because it was rampant when Amstrad boxes first appeared. Sky swapped out many boxes, and firmware updates "cured" quite a few more. If the engineer hasn't seen this problem before, he's either a total newbie on the job, or he's a consummate liar :)

3. Odbod

Odbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say he was a liar becuase the same engineer came round earlier in the year when I had recording problems.

Anyway, quite happy with the Pace now.

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, this problem of "vertical banding" appears to be a major problem with Amstrad boxes and normally you have to kick & scream to get an Amstrad replaced with the Pace, so I think you've been lucky to get a Pace without having demanded one first after researching it here.

5. toneman

toneman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In the last two weeks I have had a Amstrad PVR3 and this caused vertcal banding but only on terrestial ITV1 and then it was replaced with a Pace PVR2 and I had no banding but today I had a another new Amstrad PVR3 fitted and the vertical banding has returned on ITV1...Coincidence or what ?

The SKY engineer told me that it was probably the combination of cheap co-ax cabling and having the power lines also entangled around them.

This is a reasonable comment and I will do some housekeping around the back of the units and see if this improves it.

But why didn't the Pace box do the same ?

6. Odbod

Odbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed that the vertical banding was more prominent on ITV1 also, as well as very dark scenes on other channels (when I had the Amstrad). Didn't notice any problems with the Pace last night, so it does appear to be down to the Amstrad model for whatever reason.

7. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ installed about 6 weeks ago, Amstrad box I guess.

Have now started to notice vertical banding :mad:

Lots of reference to banding on here in various threads but no one has really described what you see??

Football and areas of the pitch in view (static) shows vertical stripes about 1-1.5inch wide, no not the lawnmower cut patterns on the pitch!! :devil:

Football seems to be the main culprit on Sky sports1. The static picture and continuous tone colour of the pitch makes the light / dark stripes evident.

In fairness haven't really seen it on other channels, they are faster moving images.

I could live with this, but like everything now I know its there...............

How severe has Amstrad banding been for others?

Is this level of performance acceptable, guess I can only make that decision, but knowing Amstrads have the problem is does encourage you to call the engineers and get it changed, hopefully for a Pace.

8. Odbod

Odbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For me the vertical banding was darker and then lighter shades all the way across the screen. Like Duffers0, it was about 1 - 1.5 inches wide and more noticable when watching TV in the evening.

One programme I particularly noticed it on was The Bill (sad I know). Even in the lighter scenes it was very noticeable, espeically when the filming was inside.

As has been said, once you notice it, it's almost impossible to ignore. The Pace doesn't appear to have this problem, although I still find myself looking for those damn lines!!

9. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next time I see it I am going to record 5 mins or so, for the nice engineer when I call them in.

By the way, my Sky box does not have an Amstrad badge on it :devil:

So I can see the visual differences between the Amstrad and the Pace box, can someone post some pictures of the Pace Sky+ box :lease:

10. Odbod

Odbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will say on the back which make it is. Or, the card holder is on the right for the Amstrad boxes and on the left for Pace.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's for the V2 boxes. A bit harder to tell on the new V3 boxes - I think that's just a case of looking for the manufacturer's sticker.

12. justdoit

justdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have had a Amstrad PVR2 replaced by a Pace PVR2 after my Pace PVR1 decided what I would and wouldnt be watching! I went from perfect picture to picture with banding and bad artifacting around scrolling text and football players to perfect picture again in the space of 4 days. Nothing else had been changed during this time bar a new LNB along with the Amstrad so I guess that shoots the Amstrads in the foot (infact I told Sky to remove the the Amstrad and replace it with a Pace again or they could stick my account up their jacksy)

I have also noticed that neither replacement boxes downloaded the new light background software so I wonder if Sky know full well that it's buggy even though they are saying nothing.

Food for thought!

PS the Amstrad box was also knackered, it refused to restart from pausing if I was recording, only let 1 in 4 recordings work wouldnt allow premium channels to work and only listen to the remote when it felt like it!

PPS I did notice that the banding on my set was lesser on the odd recorded program I was able to view, Strange?