1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical Lines using PS2 on PV500 via Component?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Daipac, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, got my 37PV500 today. Not had a chance to set it up properly yet but I have quickly connected up my PS2 via RGB Scart and Component.

On RGB the PQ is great on even the default settings for Cinema. No problems there.

BUT, I connect it up via Component and the PQ is very sharp as I would expect but there are faint white lines going down the screen. It is like a 'banding' going vertically down the screen all the way across.

My PS2 is not chipped and is a standard UK model, the display settings are set to Component.

Any ideas what this could be ?

2. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just checked again and it doesn't seem to do it on the PS2 startup screen but when you play a DVD it shows the lines.

I don't know but could it be something to do with progressive scan ?

Any help would be great.

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK, just tried playing a PS2 game via component and there are no vertical lines.

Is this something to do with progressive scan then as I said above ?

Is there a way to solve this problem when watching DVDs on the PS2 via component ?

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Anybody ????

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Is your ps2 set to progressive output?

Have you tried it turned off?

Are you using an official cable and not some cheap *****?

6. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you set your PS2 to progressive ? Couldn't see an option to do this in the menu ? As I said, it is standard unchipped PS2 so if you cannot do this, fair enough.

It is a cheap component lead granted, but the PQ is fantastic when playing a game and on the PS2 dashbboard but when you play a film I get these vertical lines.

7. BigGanja

BigGanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    only PS2 model 50001 and newers (this include the slim PSTwo) have the progressive scan option and, as far as I know, there are no PAL games pro-scan compatible except SoulCalibur 2

few things:
    -PS2 is an useless piece of junk
    -It outputs terrible S-Video and component signals, just stick with RGB via scart
    -Use your Xbox as a DVD player

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794

I don't know mate, I use a chipped US machine and have never put a DVD in it either, I made the comment after you said...

I presumed you had put it in progressive mode and thought maybe the cable was not good enough.

The PS2 really cant play dvds though, and definitely not on a 42" screen, get down to Makro and buy an Akura progressive player for £22, far better results!

9. manuxs

manuxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hello !

I also have an almost similar problem with my 2-month old 32LD7200 set. I've always been very pleased with it (colour, light, ...) until I recently discovered that I had a vertical stripe about half way across the screen. This stripe doesn't have a specific colour, it just has a different hue than the rest of the screen (a bit brighter than the rest of the screen).

The unfortunate result is that when watching movies/games/ TV show with light backgrounds (both RBG and YUV), whenever there is movement, I see this vertical stripe with the movie going on "behind". It's just as if the screen was covered with dust, except for one very clear vertical stripe. Except that in this case, there is no dust !

Have you solved your problem ? Do you have any idea what this is ? A technician is coming tomorrow to check the screen, but I'm afraid it will have to go back to Hitachi for repair, and God only knows how long it will take and if they will be able to see and solve the problem ...