1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vertical Lines are wavy / not straight on Panasonic 53" TV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RealityDesign, Jan 15, 2005.

1. RealityDesign

RealityDesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just purchased a Panasonic PT-53WX54 about 2 days ago. Today I noticed something and now I can't help but see it everytime I watch the damn TV :(.

When watching a program that is 4:3 (not widescreen) where there are the black side bars, the side bars are not perfectly straight. The edge of the black bar where it meets the picture isn't a straight line, but is somewhat wavy in places. In some parts it is straight, but near the middle to bottom of the TV in some places it is wavy and looks like it is shifted left or right a few pixels.

I also noticed it when playing Xbox. When I paused a game, the pause menu is outlined in a white box. When looking at the white vertical lines (side of the pause menu box) they too are not perfectly straight.

Is there any way to adjust this? Do I need to have a tech guy come out here and do it?

Another thing I noticed is that the TV cuts the edges off of the picture. I am not sure if this is normal, but it appears as though the picture is zoomed in 105 or maybe 110% and then the edges get cropped off. I only noticed this when playing Halo 2 (and some other Xbox games) when you complete a check point for example, the first letter of the text that comes on to the screen gets cut off on the left side. In other games, sometimes games with a health meter or something like that, part of the meter gets cut off if it is too close to the corner of the TV. Is this normal?

I only have experience with DLP TV's, I've never owned a large CRT before. I have a Samsung 52" DLP TV in the living room and never experienced any problems like this. I'm asuming because it costs twice as much and uses much different technology :D lol.

Any help is much appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Perfect geometry is difficult to achieve on a CRT, even rear projection. It's nigh-on impossible to get wrong on LCD and DLP. Hence the difference.

About the distortion in the edges to which you refer........is it fixed in position or does it vary from scene to scene?

About cutting off edges: all TVs are supposed to overscan by about 5%.

3. RealityDesign

RealityDesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be fixed. I kept a laser pointer on the screen at a point where it was particularly wavy, and it didn't matter if I looked at my Xbox or the Cable box, that spot was wavy. It seems to do it all the way from the top to the bottom, but it is more notcible (more shifted left or right) in certain spots...

It doesn't seem to do it at all at the center of the screen, but starts happening 4 inches or so from the sides of the screen.

4. RealityDesign

RealityDesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am tempted to plug in my computer and just put up a JPEG or something with a black background and white lines every half inch or so...to see exactly where it is doing it or not.

5. RealityDesign

RealityDesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I take it back. It is NOT FIXED. The lines actually are wavy, meaning they move. They don't move a lot or anything...maybe 1 or 2 pixels left of right of where they should be at any given point. (Sorry I'm a computer person...is "pixels" the wrong term here? :) )

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You won't get the same perfection on a CRT that you have seen on DLP TV's. They are just not made that way. It is possible to get close to perfect on a CRT, but that would push the price up by about 4x

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    If they move depending on how bright that (horizontal) part of the image is - i.e. the brighter a given "line" is, then the wider it is, this is to be expect on any mass-market CRT to a greater or lesser degree, and results from poor EHT voltage regulation. It isn't normally fixable (although fitting a more beefy bespoke EHT supply might do it).

If its wavering smoothly and constantly (even on a still image) then it isn't EHT regulation. It may be that some mains-borne hum is escaping into the set from somewhere.

8. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perfect geometry is hard to achieve and generally it is fine if you spend up to or near £1500 on a tv. Any lower and more than likely your tv is going to have bends. Having said that i have a Sony Triniton flat screen tv and its has perfect geometry but it falls falt on its arse on other areas so its going back. I have to say i have tested a few panasonic tvs and imo the geometry is the worst i have seen. Bends all over the place. Me, well i am going back to a regualr 4:3 tv for sky digital adn my projector for everything else. I wouldn never recommend ANY widescreen tv in the world to anyone. LCD looks the way to go but since i having had the oppurtunity to test one i will not comment.

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    The route to assured perfect geometry is (currently) only via LCD or Plasma. They each have their own other issues, however.